mongke

Default Comment on Harbor Freight auto darken helmet

Hello folks

Ordered one and arrived a couple of days ago. I'm rather pleased with it.
As for the LCD lens, I read a post about the darkening not being
uniform. I think, after checking mine, that this a visual effect from LCD
devices being darkest when viewed perpendiculary. Close left eye and the
lightness is on the right; close right eye and the lightness is on the
left. With both eyes open, binocularity gives the illusion of dark center
and light ends. There might be also some uneveness caused by pressures in
the LCD mounting. None of this seems serious to me.
Anybody with a brand, top quality helmet care to compare?

--

Regards,

Mongke

oldjag

mongke wrote:
[...]

I purchased the same helmet. Mine is almost unusable. Too bad I did not
try it out before the very short warranty expired. We have several
name brand , ie $220+ auto darkening helmets at work. None have this
issue.

william_b_noble

I have a name brand helmet, though right now I don't remember the name -
bought it at a local welding supply place - no issues with non-uniform
darkening
"mongke" wrote in message
news:1112845508.5bf31c859dfcf3d7dd1051cd314cdde0@t eranews...
Hello folks

Ordered one and arrived a couple of days ago. I'm rather pleased with it.
As for the LCD lens, I read a post about the darkening not being
uniform. I think, after checking mine, that this a visual effect from LCD
devices being darkest when viewed perpendiculary. Close left eye and the
lightness is on the right; close right eye and the lightness is on the
left. With both eyes open, binocularity gives the illusion of dark center
and light ends. There might be also some uneveness caused by pressures in
the LCD mounting. None of this seems serious to me.
Anybody with a brand, top quality helmet care to compare?

--

Regards,

Mongke

Gunner

On 6 Apr 2005 22:21:08 -0700, "oldjag" wrote:

mongke wrote:
[...]

I love my HF (blue) mask. Works great at small TIG currents up to
Bouching flare off the face of the moon.

Gunner

Rule #35
"That which does not kill you,
has made a huge tactical error"
mongke

From: "william_b_noble"
Newsgroups: sci.engr.joining.welding,rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Comment on Harbor Freight auto darken helmet
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 22:49:38 -0700

I have a name brand helmet, though right now I don't remember the name -
bought it at a local welding supply place - no issues with non-uniform
darkening

Anybody with a brand, top quality helmet care to compare?

--

Regards,

Mongke

Well as I said the "problem" seems largely to be non-existant. Hope the
device quality will keep on the logn run.

--

Regards,

Mongke

Gunner

On 6 Apr 2005 22:21:08 -0700, "oldjag" wrote:

I purchased the same helmet. Mine is almost unusable. Too bad I did not
try it out before the very short warranty expired. We have several
name brand , ie $220+ auto darkening helmets at work. None have this
issue.

Short warranty period? A year is short?

Gunner

Rule #35
"That which does not kill you,
has made a huge tactical error"
John

"mongke" wrote in message
news:1112845508.5bf31c859dfcf3d7dd1051cd314cdde0@t eranews...
Hello folks

Ordered one and arrived a couple of days ago. I'm rather pleased with it.
As for the LCD lens, I read a post about the darkening not being
uniform. I think, after checking mine, that this a visual effect from LCD
devices being darkest when viewed perpendiculary. Close left eye and the
lightness is on the right; close right eye and the lightness is on the
left. With both eyes open, binocularity gives the illusion of dark center
and light ends. There might be also some uneveness caused by pressures in
the LCD mounting. None of this seems serious to me.
Anybody with a brand, top quality helmet care to compare?

--

Regards,

Mongke

Been discussed before. I love mine and it seems most others who have
purchased them have had a good experience. Apparently the folks with the
$220 helmets on their store shelves don't like too much though.

John

Emmo

I am the guy who recently said that if it wasn't for HF tools, I wouldn't
have no tools at all. However, I found that the HF autodarkening hood made
my eyes hurt, and I returned it and got a Miller instead... Nearly everyone
else in my welding class bought the HF hood and kept them, though. So maybe
I had a bad one, or maybe my eyes are overly sensitive or whatever, but I in
any case, I am very happy with my Miller... And I am a very happy HF
customer in general, just not in this case. They did take it back with no
argument or hassle at all...

Been discussed before. I love mine and it seems most others who have
purchased them have had a good experience. Apparently the folks with the
$220 helmets on their store shelves don't like too much though.

John

Steve W.

I have a Hobart, a Miller and the HF with internal adjuster. They all
have the same effect with regards to the shading. The Hobart is a bit
more comfortable with my mask on under it. Seems to have a bit wider
shell around the canisters. Like most of what HF sells you need to look
over the item and pick the best one in the bunch. I just picked up 10 of
the wall mount plastic bin kits to store bolts/nuts. Made in India but
seem to be decent stuff so far. Making a wood/clear plastic cover to
keep crud out of them. One set had a bad rail, went in and they gave me
a complete set as the replacement.

--
Steve Williams

"mongke" wrote in message
[...]

oldjag

wrote:

I purchased the same helmet. Mine is almost unusable. Too bad I did

not
try it out before the very short warranty expired. We have several
name brand , ie $220+ auto darkening helmets at work. None have

this
issue.

Short warranty period? A year is short?

Gunner

Rule #35
"That which does not kill you,
has made a huge tactical error"

Hmm i'll have to check the warranty card. The other items from HF were
30 day warranty so I assumed it was also..