Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Followup: We have rotation

Went out to the shop today with my trusty Fluke 12, I saw up to 300Vac out there. WTF.

Checked each side of the centertap and it was running 150v.

Powered up RPC, now I'm showing 245v hot to hot and evenly split across the center tap.

Played with the lathe, I see a momentary drop to 200v when I start it. Not too suprising.
My network connections held up. My irc server never dropped a connection today. Started
and stopped drive motor many times.

Had to fix the lathe a bit. My Clausing has a QC engagement lever that blocks changing
ratio's in the QC box. A plate engages two short pins and it was loose. Had to rtfm to
noodle this out.

Played with turning, facing, knurling, parting and threading. I'm used to a Leblond
Servoshift so everything seems wrong. The worse thing is the half nuts engage by pulling
up not down.

Checked voltage at end of day when I shut down rpc. Nice and normal.

Tomorrow, I'm going to id turn some threads for a 5c drawbar in some 1 3/8 .095 wall dom
tubing. I'm starting to learn the girl. That 4 jaw independant chuck is a pita.

I hope my moglice repairs of the reeves drive holds up. Time will tell.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

[...]

150VAC?! That's way out of spec and will start cooking stuff.

I had 135.6VAC here one day, I noticed when my big UPS switch to battery
on over voltage. I validated the UPSes displayed 136V with my Fluke 87
at 135.6V and called the utility. The CSR I talked to had no idea what I
was talking about but said she'd relay it to a tech. Amazingly enough in
less than 10 min I got a call back from a tech and I explained what I
found. Another 10 min and a truck was in my driveway and by the time I
got out of the house to talk to him, the tech was on the radio talking
to another teach heading to the regulator bank a couple miles up the
road. In barely 30 minutes I had a nice reasonable 127V. I was pretty
impressed with the response.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I wonder if the utility is switching some power factor adjusting
capacitors in and out to counter some industrial inductive loads in the
neighborhood. I'd at least call them and report.

I assume you are using an rms reading meter, since you say the voltage
is normal at the enc of the day.

Pete Stanaitis

Wes wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

They might have a swinging transformer that jacks up the voltage when
loaded and backs off to a lower voltage setting.

Might be switching caps that do about the same thing - if in series
with a winding.

Motor speed controls on high tech fans have two or three caps to change
the speed.

Martin