Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What's the limit on hydraulic jacks?

Say that I have a 20T jack. If it has a 4" dia slave cylinder, that
means a (max) pressure of 20 x 2000 / (PI x 2^2) = 3182 PSI. If the
master cylinder is 1/2" dia, then the (max) force on it would be 3182 x
(PI x .25^2) = 625 lbs. If the operating lever has a 12 to 1 advantage,
it would require 625 / 12 = 52 lbs on the lever to generate the 20T lift.

All well & good, but what happens if I put more than 52 lbs on the
lever? I.e., what's the 1st thing to go? A piston seal, I suppose -
but is that right? Anybody ever done it? I.e., tried to squeeze that
little bit extra lift & went too far?

And if it does leak by a seal, is it ruined?

Or is there a pressure relief valve in there somewhere that protects the
seals? Probably not on a HF jack.

Inquiring minds ...,
Bob

hydraulic jacks - maintenance question... [email protected] Home Repair 8 April 9th 07 07:02 PM
Old phone jacks miamicuse Home Repair 34 March 19th 07 01:22 PM
Do Lumber Jacks do it? [email protected] Home Repair 2 February 4th 07 09:22 PM
Macinery Moving Jacks Too_Many_Tools Metalworking 4 April 14th 06 04:28 PM
Powered Trailer Jacks [email protected] Metalworking 6 February 16th 06 02:28 AM