Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Powered Trailer Jacks

Some time ago I initiated an inquiry about powered trailer jacks. I
wanted to share the solution I implemented.

When I back my gooseneck flatbed trailer into the shed, the crank is
right next to the wall making it dificult to crank the jacks. Powered
jacks would be great, but wow the cost of commercial units. Looking
for a cost effective retrofit I came up with this. Here is a link to
the Yahoo photo album where the pics reside;

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/pilot_.../ph//my_photos

The project involved removing the welded on jack crank and machining a
simple adapter to slip over the shaft. The crank can be reattached
simply by sliding the crank over the stub shaft and pinning with a
clevis pin and clip.

The machined adapter has a key and sprocket to provide a drive to the
jack drive shaft.

The gearmotor is a Harbor Freight ATV winch. It comes with the
reversing switch and wires and the ability to disengage the motor to
freewheel the drum. Necessary if the battery is down or the motor
fails. I disassembled, removed he cable and the drum. I machined off
one flange and milled in a keyway. Now I could attach a sprocket to
the hub of the drum.

Fabricating a simple plate and bracket allowed attachment to the
trailer gooseneck upright.
Some #40 sprockets and chain from the local farm supply store (Rural
King) and I was done.

It works well but is slow. I looked at changing ratios with different
sprockets, but there are limitations. The driver (winch gearmotor) has
the bracket so you cannot go too large. The shaft adapter (driven) can
only accept so small of a sprocket because of the hub size. So I am
pretty much stuck with what I have. I do not recall the number of
teeth, but I'll get them if someone wants to know. Ratio is slightly
overdriven but close to 1:1.

By slow I mean that it probably takes a minute or so to raise or lower
the jacks when hooking or unhooking the trailer. Not a problem and
something that can be lived with.

Total investment was about $50 for the winch and about $40 in chain,
sprocket and misc. The materials (a 1/2" plate and a shout piece of
3X5 tubing) came from the stock pile.

I hope that this helps someone else

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Before someone beats me up over this, I forgot to add that I need to
build a guard around the chain. On the to do list.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Christopher Tidy

Nice work Bob. Well done.

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

$5.00 to $10.00 at your local junk-yard... Look for big old Sat-lite
dish actuators ... The units are 24 volts but works great on 12
volts... I have about 20 units... I use them for jacks, dump cly, pull
jacks,Snow-plow lifts and many more things... Very strong...

wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
$5.00 to $10.00 at your local junk-yard...

Thanks for your comments. I'll keep that in mind regarding the sat
actuators.

Bob

Trailer Brakes desperado Metalworking 2 January 31st 05 07:26 PM
Rust Removal- Rust covering? Tilt Trailer mechanisms Gunner Metalworking 22 September 14th 04 07:55 PM
The IDEAL Machinery Moving Trailer? dhost Metalworking 0 February 11th 04 11:02 PM
OT - Unbraked trailer safety requirements *Secondary Couplings* Richard Savage UK diy 0 July 19th 03 02:12 PM