Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding
Too_Many_Tools

Default Macinery Moving Jacks

Does anyone know if this was ever written up?

If so, please supply the link to the writeup.

Thanks

TMT

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.c...6c24aec3 6d71

I made a pair of hydraulic lifters that can lift up to 8,000 lbs and
can
roll the mill anywhere you want on a flat floor.
They only cost as much as some steel tubing, 4 solid steel 5 inch
casters
and 2 hydraulic bottle jacks in the 6 ton range.
I planned on writing them up for the webmetal news with pictures. I
needed
them to extract a mill and lathe from under a house in Oakland CA.
They took about 4 hours to make and worked like a charm.
I don't know if anybody ever made these for sale, but back when I was
an
apprentice machinist at Purdue University's central machine shop, the
bull
gang used something similar to move half the machine tools over one
weekend.
I tried to remeber what they looked like 15 years ago and came up with
really neat moving tool.
Basicly they consist of a steel frame about 2'x3' with an angle iron
foot
on the 2' side. The frame slides up and down on another frame with 2
solid
steel swivel casters, and a 6 tone bottle jack.
The angle iron is slid under the edge of the machine, and when the
bottle
jack is pumped it lifts the frame off the ground.
One of these lifters is placed on each end of the machine tool. A
webbing
ratchet strap is used to strap them together.
Once you pump each end up an inch or so the machine just rolls around
as
easy as can be.
It is important that the frames remain vertical or it will roll rather
odd.
I used them to roll 2 machines of about 1 ton each out from under a
house, across a back yard, up a driveway and onto the lift gate of a
flat
bed truck.
I'll try to get the article together for the web page. Hopefully
sometime
next month.

--
Best of luck

************************************************** *******************
Ernie Leimkuhler
STAGESMITH PRODUCTIONS
Custom Metal Fabrication
ABANA AWS SCA IATSE Local 15/488
Renton, Washington, USA
************************************************** *******************
"So it was that four hours later, carrying two hundred cigarettes,
completely drunk and with a half-naked, unmarried Filipino lady, I
emerged, behind the writing desk in the Headmaster's
study‹simultaneously breaking a hundred and twenty-seven school
rules. The Chaplain, now seventy-four and impatient to get his
Archbishopric, had finished the tunnel just a hundred yards too early."
- " Tomkinson's Schooldays " by Michael Palin & Terry Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding
Too_Many_Tools

Thanks for the link...this is what I thought he might be building but
it sounded like his construction was simpler.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding
AL

Also check this out if you haven't already:

http://www.dogpatch.com/bobp/shop/mover.htm

I plan to build a pair this summer.

nk.net...

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding
Mike Berger

That sounds like a rol-a-lift: http://www.rolalift.com

I can move a 1000 pound machine with one hand.