Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Help with poly pipe water line.

I plan on running 200 feet or water line to a detatched garage spigot
and frost free hydrant. I bould the coiled black polyethelene NSF
rated 3/4 tube. My intention was to place a piece of 1 1/4 inch
conduit through my block wall and run the pipe through that so as to
avoid any sharp edges in the block then lay the rest of the pipe
directly in the ditch. Well, I did not realize how easily the stuff
kinked. I slightly kincked it going through the conduit. I quit right
there as it was getting dark. Will I have trouble with it kinking as I
un roll it in the ditch? Is it ok to have a slight kink? Will this
stuff be ok once it is in the ground?

Also in the garage a played with the fittings and the barbs will not
go in by hand. If I heated it with a torch, to the point of it
catching on fire I could slide it on but will this dammage the pipe or
cause a leak?

This is my first try at working with the stuff and I did not realize
how fragile it is. WIll it kink when I fill in dirt and tamp it?

Any help is appreciated!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message
I plan on running 200 feet or water line to a detatched garage spigot
and frost free hydrant. I bould the coiled black polyethelene NSF
rated 3/4 tube. My intention was to place a piece of 1 1/4 inch
conduit through my block wall and run the pipe through that so as to
avoid any sharp edges in the block then lay the rest of the pipe
directly in the ditch. Well, I did not realize how easily the stuff
kinked. I slightly kincked it going through the conduit. I quit right
there as it was getting dark. Will I have trouble with it kinking as I
un roll it in the ditch?

Not unless it's 20 degrees when you're doing it.

Is it ok to have a slight kink? Will this
stuff be ok once it is in the ground?

You should have used a bigger sleeve. It should be fine in the ground.

Also in the garage a played with the fittings and the barbs will not
go in by hand.

Try putting a wrench on the barb fitting and turning it as you push it into
the pipe.

If I heated it with a torch, to the point of it
catching on fire I could slide it on but will this dammage the pipe or
cause a leak?

If it's catching on fire you're using too much heat. If you need heat a heat
gun would be a better option.

This is my first try at working with the stuff and I did not realize
how fragile it is. WIll it kink when I fill in dirt and tamp it?

Any help is appreciated!

It's really not fragile, especially the thicker walled stuff for water
service. Uncoiling it and letting it relax first might help. Backfill with
sand, not rocks.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped wrote:
I plan on running 200 feet or water line to a detatched garage spigot
and frost free hydrant. I bould the coiled black polyethelene NSF
rated 3/4 tube. My intention was to place a piece of 1 1/4 inch
conduit through my block wall and run the pipe through that so as to
avoid any sharp edges in the block then lay the rest of the pipe
directly in the ditch. Well, I did not realize how easily the stuff
kinked. I slightly kincked it going through the conduit. I quit right
there as it was getting dark. Will I have trouble with it kinking as I
un roll it in the ditch?

You shouldn't have a problem as long as it isn't really cold.

Is it ok to have a slight kink?

Not really as that could become a weak spot.
Easy way to fix it would be to use a heat gun and squeeze the kink out.

Will this stuff be ok once it is in the ground?

Should be fine.

Also in the garage a played with the fittings and the barbs will not
go in by hand.

VERY easy solution. Grab a pot of HOT water. Dip the end in the water
for 30-40 seconds and the fittings will slide in easily. Then the
plastic will shrink as it cools and stay TIGHT.

If I heated it with a torch, to the point of it
catching on fire I could slide it on but will this dammage the pipe or
cause a leak?

Yep, The reason being if it is hot enough to burn it is starting to
convert to carbon. Carbon isn't very strong.

This is my first try at working with the stuff and I did not realize
how fragile it is. WIll it kink when I fill in dirt and tamp it?

Shouldn't unless this is really cheap stuff. Most of the black I have
used is thick walled and doesn't kink very easy.

This is direct burial rated pipe??

Any help is appreciated!

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 23, 4:20*am, "Steve W." wrote:
stryped wrote:
[...]

It is NSF rated and I bought it at Lowes. How do I tell if it is for
sure burriable?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message
On Dec 23, 4:20 am, "Steve W." wrote:
stryped wrote:
[...]

With very few exceptions, it's always buried, either for a water service or
sprinklers.