Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default A Safety story..

--Walked by the shop during the rain and heard a humming sound. Took
a quick peek in the door but didn't see anything obvious so I figured it was
the well pump out back and dismissed it. Heard same sound this AM and thot
I'd better investigate a little further. Not the water pump; nothing obvious
in the shop either. In the silence of the morning (except for the humming) I
heard an overtone, as from something vibrating on a wooden floor maybe? Went
upstairs to the electronics bay and there it was: a heat gun buzzing away on
the floor, still plugged in and probably running for three days or so!
--The good news is it wasn't pointed anywhere dangerous, otherwise
the shop would have burned down. Bad news: 800w for 3 days will put a
real spike on the electric bill. Looks like Puddytat knocked it on the
floor. Must remember, in future, to unplug dangerous devices after use..

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Currently broke and
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : looking for a job...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

steamer wrote:

[...]

0.8kW * 72h = 57.6kWh

57.6kWh * $0.14kWh = $8.064
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

My better half was running two dehyradators the other night. The circuit
breaker tripped so she got a cheap two little thin wire extension cord and
moved the big dehydrator to another circuit. the circuit breaker tripped
again so she reset it. A few minutes later I awoke to the sound of the smoke
alarm and a small fire where the cord was laying.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 13 Dec 2009 19:00:41 GMT, steamer wrote:

[...]

Hey Ed,

Maybe luckier than you know, or maybe you had "real" heat-guns for
commercial use. But I've dropped two of the relatively cheap heat
guns (one from Harbor Freight, and one from Canadian Tire), As bad
luck would have it, they each landed right on the working end, and
fractured the ceramic inside. When I tried to use them, they each got
REALLY hot where they are not supposed to and melted some plastic.
Glad I was there. If they had been as per your situation, I'm sure
they would have caught fire. I now make it a point to never leave
these plugged in unattended.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

steamer wrote:

--The good news is it wasn't pointed anywhere dangerous, otherwise
the shop would have burned down. Bad news: 800w for 3 days will put a
real spike on the electric bill. Looks like Puddytat knocked it on the
floor. Must remember, in future, to unplug dangerous devices after use..

I don't care how good the insurance is, I don't ever want to have a fire that takes down
my home or shop.

Years ago, I left my uncles M1911 on the coffee table. Smith and Wesson and another cat
who's name I can't recall at the moment were sitting on the table playing with it.

I picked it up, made sure it was empty, kicked off the safety and set it back down.

Eventually, one of the cats managed to put a paw though the trigger guard and with the
other paw satisfy the grip safety and make it go 'click'. Wish I could remember the other
cats name.

Those freak things can really hurt you.

Wes

in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"steamer" wrote in message
--Walked by the shop during the rain and heard a humming sound. Took

-snip-

floor. Must remember, in future, to unplug dangerous devices after use..

whew! lucky! good advice. (how many unexplained events occurred due to
some sort of similar circumstance.)

b.w.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
steamer wrote:

[...]

That would be a hard story to sell to the police if the cats ended up
shooting someone....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
My better half was running two dehyradators the other night. The circuit
breaker tripped so she got a cheap two little thin wire extension cord and
moved the big dehydrator to another circuit. the circuit breaker tripped
again so she reset it. A few minutes later I awoke to the sound of the
smoke alarm and a small fire where the cord was laying.

Why is it that women can perform simple math when men can perform complex
math? Three six outlet multiple outlet strips equals 16 plugins for sixteen
appliances of any wattage. Otherwise, why would they make them so they can
be daisy chained? Why is it they arrive at these answers faster than us
mens who work in .0001 th's of an inch?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"steamer" wrote in message
[...]

Lesson: listen to your gut. Something told you that all was not right in
there. You should have persisted the first time until you found the
problem, even if it was Puddytat arcing over a couple of terminals. Your
gut is most often right.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 13 Dec 2009 19:00:41 GMT, steamer wrote:
Looks like Puddytat knocked it on the
floor. Must remember, in future, to unplug dangerous devices after use..

Puddytat was cold. Puddytat turn the heating on :-)

Mark Rand
RTFM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You are one very lucky guy.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-12-13, Wes wrote:
Eventually, one of the cats managed to put a paw though the trigger guard and with the
other paw satisfy the grip safety and make it go 'click'. Wish I could remember the other
cats name.

Wow. Sometimes kids say "dog ate my homework". And adults could say
"cat shot him/her".

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wow, that's totally incredible. Glad it was empty chamber.
And that you had some safety training, and the wisdom to
know the value of safety.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Wes" wrote in message

Years ago, I left my uncles M1911 on the coffee table.
Smith and Wesson and another cat
who's name I can't recall at the moment were sitting on the
table playing with it.

I picked it up, made sure it was empty, kicked off the
safety and set it back down.

Eventually, one of the cats managed to put a paw though the
trigger guard and with the
other paw satisfy the grip safety and make it go 'click'.
Wish I could remember the other
cats name.

Those freak things can really hurt you.

Wes

--
"Additionally as a security officer, I carry a gun to
protect

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
My better half was running two dehyradators the other night. The circuit
breaker tripped so she got a cheap two little thin wire extension cord and
moved the big dehydrator to another circuit. the circuit breaker tripped
again so she reset it. A few minutes later I awoke to the sound of the
smoke alarm and a small fire where the cord was laying.

Why is it that women can perform simple math when men can perform complex
math? Three six outlet multiple outlet strips equals 16 plugins for sixteen
appliances of any wattage. Otherwise, why would they make them so they can
be daisy chained? Why is it they arrive at these answers faster than us
mens who work in .0001 th's of an inch?

How are you going to make them so they can't be daisy chained?

--
Offworld checks no longer accepted!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 15:01:22 -0800, Steve B wrote:
"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
My better half was running two dehyradators the other night. The circuit
breaker tripped so she got a cheap two little thin wire extension cord and
moved the big dehydrator to another circuit. the circuit breaker tripped
again so she reset it. A few minutes later I awoke to the sound of the
smoke alarm and a small fire where the cord was laying.

Why is it that women can perform simple math when men can perform complex
math? Three six outlet multiple outlet strips equals 16 plugins for sixteen
appliances of any wattage. Otherwise, why would they make them so they can
be daisy chained? Why is it they arrive at these answers faster than us
mens who work in .0001 th's of an inch?

Somewhere up the chain, the strip's breaker will pop if there are too many
loads.

Right now, I've got three daisy-chained, but all that's running off of
them are computers, CRT monitors, and little piddly stuff.

So far, so good! ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rich Grise wrote:

Somewhere up the chain, the strip's breaker will pop if there are too many
loads.

Right now, I've got three daisy-chained, but all that's running off of
them are computers, CRT monitors, and little piddly stuff.

So far, so good! ;-)

That is my count here also.

Three computers, kvm switch, dsl modem, speakers, external drives, wifi router, charger
for my palm pda. UPS is good for about 6 minutes.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"ATP*" wrote:

That would be a hard story to sell to the police if the cats ended up
shooting someone....

I'd hate to sell that story.

I remembered the names, one was Smith, the other was Wesson. I was into gun names for
pets back then. Mandy Mannlicher was my Basset/Beagles name. Non gun types likely
thought I was a bit perverted, er kinky.

Wes

in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

Wow, that's totally incredible. Glad it was empty chamber.
And that you had some safety training, and the wisdom to
know the value of safety.

I try to key an eye out for what can hurt you. Uncles 1911 had a pretty nice trigger btw.

Wes

--

When trouble comes call 911 and die or try 1911 and live.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

Steve B wrote:

[...]

If the right women are involved, I don't see daisy chaining as a problem-

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/loca...-naked-embrace

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:

[...]

Dunno. I don't have the patent on them anyway.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:
[...]

Uh, not to burst your bubble, but I don't think the original derivation
had anything to do with women or heterosexuals.

I think you can do the math. =:-O

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

ATP* wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

How are you going to make them so they can't be daisy chained?

If the right women are involved, I don't see daisy chaining as a problem-

Are they 120 or 240 volts?

--
Offworld checks no longer accepted!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
ATP* wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
How are you going to make them so they can't be daisy chained?

If the right women are involved, I don't see daisy chaining as a problem-

Are they 120 or 240 volts?

The real question is are they AC or DC...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

ATP* wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

How are you going to make them so they can't be daisy chained?

If the right women are involved, I don't see daisy chaining as a problem-

Are they 120 or 240 volts?

--

"220, 240, whatever it takes.."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 19:18:47 -0500, the infamous Wes
scrawled the following:

Rich Grise wrote:

Somewhere up the chain, the strip's breaker will pop if there are too many
loads.

Right now, I've got three daisy-chained, but all that's running off of
them are computers, CRT monitors, and little piddly stuff.

So far, so good! ;-)

That is my count here also.

Ditto here, with a $45 Cyber Power UPS off eBay for backup, which is
used a dozen times daily with power glitches here...

--
Every day above ground is a Good Day(tm).
-----------

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
ATP* wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
How are you going to make them so they can't be daisy chained?
If the right women are involved, I don't see daisy chaining as a problem-

Are they 120 or 240 volts?

The real question is are they AC or DC...

Are they real, or are they Memorex?

--
Offworld checks no longer accepted!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

ATP* wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

How are you going to make them so they can't be daisy chained?

If the right women are involved, I don't see daisy chaining as a problem-

Are they 120 or 240 volts?

"220, 240, whatever it takes.."

Can you handle anything over 120?

--
Offworld checks no longer accepted!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

ATP* wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

How are you going to make them so they can't be daisy chained?

If the right women are involved, I don't see daisy chaining as a
problem-

Are they 120 or 240 volts?

"220, 240, whatever it takes.."

Can you handle anything over 120?

Unfortunately, I see few examples that aren't over 120 these days!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

ATP* wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

How are you going to make them so they can't be daisy chained?

If the right women are involved, I don't see daisy chaining as a problem-

Are they 120 or 240 volts?

"220, 240, whatever it takes.."

Can you handle anything over 120?

Ain't wired for 220s, or even 165 sometimes! (but that's due to voltage
drop from heavy current draw.)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
cavelamb wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
ATP* wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
How are you going to make them so they can't be daisy chained?
If the right women are involved, I don't see daisy chaining as a problem-

Are they 120 or 240 volts?

The real question is are they AC or DC...

Are they real, or are they Memorex?

I wish Memorex paid half as much for quality control as they do for
their ads. Their cassettes were crap 30 years ago and their CD-R and
DVD-R are crap now.

David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John Husvar wrote:

ATP* wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

How are you going to make them so they can't be daisy chained?

If the right women are involved, I don't see daisy chaining as a problem-

Are they 120 or 240 volts?

"220, 240, whatever it takes.."

Can you handle anything over 120?

Ain't wired for 220s, or even 165 sometimes! (but that's due to voltage
drop from heavy current draw.)

See what happens when you aren't up to code?

--
Offworld checks no longer accepted!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

ATP* wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

How are you going to make them so they can't be daisy chained?

If the right women are involved, I don't see daisy chaining as a
problem-

Are they 120 or 240 volts?

"220, 240, whatever it takes.."

Can you handle anything over 120?

Unfortunately, I see few examples that aren't over 120 these days!

Some are barely 6 volts, and intermittent.

--
Offworld checks no longer accepted!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"David R.Birch" wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
cavelamb wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
ATP* wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
How are you going to make them so they can't be daisy chained?
If the right women are involved, I don't see daisy chaining as a problem-

Are they 120 or 240 volts?

The real question is are they AC or DC...

Are they real, or are they Memorex?

I wish Memorex paid half as much for quality control as they do for
their ads. Their cassettes were crap 30 years ago and their CD-R and
DVD-R are crap now.

That's why you wanted to know if it was Memorex. BEFORE you used
it. I preferred either Scotch studio grade tape, or BASF low noise for
my R-R recording.

--
Offworld checks no longer accepted!