Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What are these? (Electrical question).

I used the blue plastic Carlon boxes from home depot in the detached
garage. When I was puttign a new fixture in the hallway to my house, I
noticed a tan looking ceilign box was used and there was a "black
plastic thing" for lack of a better word inside the box against the
wires coing into the box.

What are those and were those needed in my detached garage with the
blue plastic outlet boxes? I did wire staple the wires within 6 inches
of the box.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 2, 7:28*am, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
stryped fired this volley in news:ba32b92a-2053-
:

hen I was puttign a new fixture in the hallway to my house, I
noticed a tan looking ceilign box was used and there was a "black
plastic thing" for lack of a better word inside the box against the
wires coing into the box.

Those are pressed phenolic resin boxes -- often made of sawdust and
resin. *You'll see them a lot in mobile homes, even of late-model
manufacture. *The cable clamp is an option in most jurisdictions, so long
as the run is fixed to a structural member close to the box; *6" is good. *
Still, it's not a bad idea to use that strain relief that is in the box. *
Just be gentle when clamping Romex.

LLoyd

These blue boxes did not come with these clamps. Should i attempt to
find some?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The black plastic thingie is probably a "strain relief" to protect the wires from rubbing against
the edges of the box. It is not necessary in most cases. You can replicate it with several turn of
black tape if you wnat to.

Bob Swinney

Electrical question Noel Home Repair 3 March 8th 08 11:04 PM
Another Electrical question stoutman Woodworking 51 March 22nd 06 06:46 AM
Electrical Question [email protected] Home Repair 5 December 5th 05 02:39 AM
Electrical question cj squirms UK diy 5 September 15th 05 12:04 AM
Electrical question JackRabbit Home Repair 10 February 20th 05 03:55 AM