Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Candle Safety and emergency lighting

Plan before the power cut. I'd dare to guess that most
candle fires are people who have never really used candles,
and not given any attention to making or buying safe
brackets and holders.

The Amish and Mennenites have good candle holders.
www.lehmans.com comes to mind. Hope I typed that right.

In my trailer, I have a couple "cup hooks" in the ceiling,
which can be used to hang a battery lantern, or a railroad
style oil lamp. In the back corner by the bedroom, I have a
metal pan for holding candles. (Used to be a 9 x 9 cake pan.
Two sides turned up. Sides punched, and then screwed to the
inside corner by the bathroom and bedroom.) It's relatively
sturdy place to set a candle, very low risk of endangering
anything.

I've taken to remelting candles, as a hobby. Lately, I do
try to make them in glass jars, which might be safer than
tapers or pillars.

For using candles, a good table or surface is needed. Lay
down a pie or cake pan, in case the candle falls over. Keep
curtains, papers, etc, away. Keep out of reach of
combustible children, or cats soaked in kerosene.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

So is this usage of candle wrong?

http://www.panix.com/~presence/37836...57edb5a2a3.jpg
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

It does seem inefficient. A jar or some kind of side wall
would have helped.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Cydrome Leader" wrote in message

So is this usage of candle wrong?

http://www.panix.com/~presence/37836...57edb5a2a3.jpg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 1 Dec 2009 19:06:35 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

In my trailer, I have a couple "cup hooks" in the ceiling,
which can be used to hang a battery lantern, or a railroad
style oil lamp. In

When hanging a Coleman style lantern from the ceiling...use a length of
small chain and keep the lantern at least..at least 18" from the ceiling
itself.

I always hang them 24" from the ceiling....as Ive seen browning of the
ceiling itself from the rising heat when hung closer.

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

In my trailer, I have a couple "cup hooks" in the ceiling,
which can be used to hang a battery lantern, or a railroad
style oil lamp. In

When hanging a Coleman style lantern from the ceiling...use a length of
small chain and keep the lantern at least..at least 18" from the ceiling
itself.

I always hang them 24" from the ceiling....as Ive seen browning of the
ceiling itself from the rising heat when hung closer.

There's someone out there who's a notch dumber than you - a guy borrowed
my gas Coleman and hung it from his carpeted bedroom ceiling.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

Or buy a GOOD paraffin oil lamp and get useful light/heat from it.
Aladdin makes some of the best available.
And the bonus is you don't get all the soot in the air that you get from
candles.

Or you can set up a solar fed battery bank and have "electric" lights...

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Let the Record show that "Steve W." on or about
Wed, 02 Dec 2009 03:08:18 -0500 did write/type or cause to appear in
rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

Now dang it Steve, there you go interjecting common sense into a
stream of baffle gab. Just disrupt the flow of theoretical
pontifications.

And you made sense too.

I'd go with a twelve volt system and LED lights, myself. They
really do put out the photons, and last "forever". (Had a friend,
years ago, he'd strung bare wire about 8 inches along the ceiling of
his basement apartment. Then used the mini halogen spots with
alligator clips for work lights. "Portable" easy to move where he
needed them, and worked.)

-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I presume the fire department told you about it the next
day?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Beryl" wrote in message

There's someone out there who's a notch dumber than you - a
guy borrowed
my gas Coleman and hung it from his carpeted bedroom
ceiling.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Just make sure not to drop any metal devices that are
lighter than air. Wouldn't want to short out the ceiling
wires. And, no tinsel hairdos for the tall women. No
aluminized mylar baloons in the cellar.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message

I'd go with a twelve volt system and LED lights, myself.
They
really do put out the photons, and last "forever". (Had a
friend,
years ago, he'd strung bare wire about 8 inches along the
ceiling of
his basement apartment. Then used the mini halogen spots
with
alligator clips for work lights. "Portable" easy to move
where he
needed them, and worked.)

-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 19:06:35 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:

For using candles, a good table or surface is needed. Lay down a pie or
cake pan, in case the candle falls over. Keep curtains, papers, etc, away.
Keep out of reach of combustible children, or cats soaked in kerosene.

How to turn a cat into a dog:

Soak it in naphtha, toss a match, and it goes "WOOF!" ;-)

Equal opportunity:

How to turn a dog into a cat:

Get out the Skil-Saw, apply it to the dog, and it goes "MEEEEEOOOWWWW!"

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I presume the fire department told you about it the next
day?

Huh? What? When you top-post like that, with your sig in the MIDDLE,
everything that was said before gets snipped away.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 02 Dec 2009 13:56:15 -0800, Beryl wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
I presume the fire department told you about it the next day?

Huh? What? When you top-post like that, with your sig in the MIDDLE,
everything that was said before gets snipped away.

I used to be a top-poster, but I've seen the light! ;-P

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

A: Destroys the continuity
Q: What is the problem with top posting?

Let the Record show that Rich Grise on or
about Thu, 03 Dec 2009 12:22:05 -0800 did write/type or cause to
Stormin Mormon wrote:
I presume the fire department told you about it the next day?

Huh? What? When you top-post like that, with your sig in the MIDDLE,
everything that was said before gets snipped away.

I used to be a top-poster, but I've seen the light! ;-P

Cheers!
Rich

-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 13:18:07 -0800, pyotr filipivich top-posted:
[top-post repaired]
Stormin Mormon wrote:
I presume the fire department told you about it the next day?

Huh? What? When you top-post like that, with your sig in the MIDDLE,
everything that was said before gets snipped away.

I used to be a top-poster, but I've seen the light! ;-P

A: Destroys the continuity
Q: What is the problem with top posting?

Kinda like those signs painted on the road, like

XING
PED

or

AHEAD
STOP?

I like:

ONLY
TURN
RIGHT

which, oddly, seems to work either way around. ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Emergency Lighting (Part 2) Graeme UK diy 3 April 2nd 07 04:34 PM
Emergency Lighting Tournifreak UK diy 8 March 30th 07 07:31 AM
Emergency Lighting Steve Lowe UK diy 16 January 22nd 07 11:33 AM
Consumer Product Safety Comm. to discuss proposed SawStop technology safety rule George Max Woodworking 256 September 16th 06 06:03 PM
Battery-backup emergency lighting MaryL Home Repair 46 June 10th 06 08:00 PM