Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default DIY powder coating

"Pete C." wrote in message
ter.com...

Existential Angst wrote:

Awl --

I've seen HF's stuff (
http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...rd=powder+coat
), a bit of Eastwood's site (
http://www.eastwood.com/hotcoat-powder-coating.html ), and a cupla forums
that seem to like both diy setups. Apparently any oven will do.

Cupla Q's:

Do you spray the items while they're still in the oven, or are they taken
out, hung, and then sprayed? If the latter, I imagine you gotta be
quick,
eh?
I notice that suppliers distinguish between the oven and the booth
(http://www.sprayboothsupplies.com/ba...-spray-booths/ ) --
is this because the items are actually sprayed in the booth and not the
oven?

About how hot are the pieces when they are sprayed? I imagine this varies
with specific coatings.

If I fool around with powder coating, I will need to do 1/4" alum, up to
16
x 48", so I'll proly make my own oven out of various heating elements,
brick, etc.

--
EA, PV'd

The pieces are baked *after* they are sprayed. The parts are cold (room
temp) when sprayed.

Holy ****.... talk about having nary a clue, eh??!!

So I guess you gotta be perty careful when transferring the sprayed stuff to
the oven?
Is the sprayed metal wet or dry before it goes into the oven? Either way,
I'll bet loading the oven is the paint-equivalent to walking on egg shells.

The wiki article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powder_coating does refer to
spraying already-heated metal as a "common alternative".

A lot of drama here. Canned spray paint, esp. some of the new metallics, is
much lower-ante bet, coating-wise.
Ahm all for low low ante's.
--
EA, almost PV'd??

DIY Powder Coating? Doki UK diy 11 May 13th 06 12:59 PM
powder coating? [email protected] Metalworking 3 December 2nd 05 03:54 PM
Powder Coating Rob Mills Home Repair 8 August 26th 05 08:15 PM
Powder coating curing [email protected] Metalworking 4 January 12th 05 07:28 PM
Powder coating Cicero UK diy 9 September 14th 04 06:20 PM