Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Should I move to Idaho?

Gunner Asch wrote:

California is dying as an industrial power. It at one time was the 7th
largest economy in the world. No longer. Its the #3 hardest hit state
in the looming Great Depression Part Deux, only behind Michigan with
its Rust Belt.

And Im not getting any work in my current trade, machine tool repair.

So Ive been looking around a bit at other states for employment..and
Id like to ask you folks for your input.

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

California is where you have contacts and a reputation for your line of work. Starting
over somewhere else is starting over as an unknown quantity.

Despite how bad California may be, it still has a huge economy. You need to settle down
and take a 40hr a week job working maintenance. Not a mom and pop shop, you need to work
for a fortune 500 type company. They tend to have important things like health insurance
as part of the package.

Believe it or not, they also pay overtime, have holidays and vacation pay. Oh yes, in
most times a pretty regular, reliable paycheck that you can plan your budget on.

Its time to be like the rest of us, punching the time clock, hoping to live to retirement.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
Gunner Asch wrote:

California is dying as an industrial power. It at one time was the
7th largest economy in the world. No longer. Its the #3 hardest hit
state in the looming Great Depression Part Deux, only behind
Michigan with its Rust Belt.

And Im not getting any work in my current trade, machine tool repair.

So Ive been looking around a bit at other states for employment..and
Id like to ask you folks for your input.

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

California is where you have contacts and a reputation for your line
of work.

It's that reputation that's the problem.....

--
John R. Carroll

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 16:34:48 -0500, Wes wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

[...]

Much truth in what you write.

And something Ive been pondering on as well. The problem is.......is
that even the Fortune 500 jobs in California are fading..fading..fading
away.

I drive around a lot as part of my job...and the for sale, for lease,
closing, etc etc signs in many many parts of So. Cal are starting to
overwhelm the Open signs. Truely..I bull**** you not.

Scary as hell.

Travel time in So Cal ..say from Ontario to Costa Mesa..a drive that
used to take 1.25 hrs during low traffic time, to 3 hours during high
traffic time...now takes .75 hr most of the time.

That means there are a **** load of folks who are NOT on the road.
Truck..semi...traffic is way down too. That means goods are not being
moved. So they are either not being produced/ bought or they are using
some other method to transport em...chuckle.

Ive been working as a traveling service tech in So Cal now for...hummm
12-14 yrs..and have a pretty good grasp of traffic patterns. And they
are all changed. Much less traffic...MUCH less.

One good thing of note..is the stream of pickup trucks headed south to
Mexico, with personal possessions piled high. Work is so limited that
the Latinos are starving in California. Now in about 90 yrs...the last
wetback will be gone..but...shrug

Its coming on to Christmas season..then the January to March slow period
before anything will change IN A GOOD YEAR....Crom only knows what will
happen this year. And the next

But thanks for your rather good advice, and its something high on my
list.

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton