Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Looking for help with small (driveable) tank.

I'm writing on behalf of a friend who is making a small military tank
to drive in parades and such events. He's a woodworker, so the body is
wood, and the treads are plastic attached to conveyor belt material.
His plan was to use one of those little "Rascal" scooters for old
folks as the driving force, with the body over it, head and shoulders
sticking out of the turret. He's running into problems now that the
body is attached, mainly that he needs more power. I guess this thing
weighs about 300 lbs. and the Rascal just won't run it properly. The
treads move, but only because they are in contact with the ground.
Even if it goes, the batteries wouldn't last long with all that
weight. He asked me to search the internet for ideas, and I thought of
this group, since there is a wide range of knowledge here. Is there a
specific group where he might find help on this subject? Or anyone
here with some brilliant ideas? I know these are vague questions, just
looking for a place to send him for help. Thanks, Gary Hastings
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"lbgary" wrote in message
[...]

Tell him to use styrofoam for the body or move up to an ATV for the drive
system.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

lbgary wrote:
[...]

Lawn tractor with a propane conversion so it doesn't stink up the
parade. Replace the current battery motor with a 5HP or larger gas engine.
If he wants to stay battery powered he could look around for one of the
old GE Electrac tractors. Or the motor and drive controller for one.
Or install larger motor(s) and a battery tray and some deep cycle
batteries.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 24, 1:20*pm, lbgary wrote:
I'm writing on behalf of a friend who is making a small military tank
to drive in parades and such events. He's a woodworker, so the body is
wood, and the treads are plastic attached to conveyor belt material.
His plan was to use one of those little "Rascal" scooters for old
folks as the driving force, with the body over it, head and shoulders
sticking out of the turret. He's running into problems now that the
body is attached, mainly that he needs more power.....

Thanks, Gary Hastings

Look for an old riding mower with a cracked frame and good engine or
at least a working belt-driven transmission. You might be able to skid-
steer it with ATV disk brakes and idler-pulley clutches on each tread
drive sprocket.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
"lbgary" wrote in message
[...]

This one is much smaller, and won't solve the OPs problem.
But it is really way cool!

http://www.gizmology.net/tanks.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 16:04:53 -0600, cavelamb
wrote:

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
"lbgary" wrote in message
[...]

Put 36 volts to it instead of 24 and reduce the weight - styrofoam was
a good idea - 1/8" plywood works good too - as doed CorPlas.