Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Iggy, do you have a 20 HP VFD

Have a friend that may be looking for one to convert single to 3 phase.

--
Greg O
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-11-21, Greg O wrote:
Have a friend that may be looking for one to convert single to 3 phase.

No, and you would be hard pressed to find something other than full
new price at driveswarehouse.com. Drives in this size usually have a 3
phase fault sensing circuit. Good luck looking.

A big phase converter may be a better bet, price wise. Used 3 phase
motors go for $5 or so per HP at scrap yards. So you are looking at
$150 in motors (say, three 10 HP electric motors) and an additional
amount for doodads like caps and starters, if you want to build a RPC
with 30 HP idler capacity.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 23:50:47 -0600, Ignoramus29320

On 2009-11-21, Greg O wrote:
Have a friend that may be looking for one to convert single to 3 phase.

No, and you would be hard pressed to find something other than full
new price at driveswarehouse.com. Drives in this size usually have a 3
phase fault sensing circuit. Good luck looking.

A big phase converter may be a better bet, price wise. Used 3 phase
motors go for $5 or so per HP at scrap yards. So you are looking at
$150 in motors (say, three 10 HP electric motors) and an additional
amount for doodads like caps and starters, if you want to build a RPC
with 30 HP idler capacity.

Sorry to gloat (no I'm not :-), but my 23HP VFD cost me £10. Doesn't object to
working 1ph in, 3ph out. I use it with a step up transformer to go from 240V
single to 415V three phase. I'm not often lucky, but I scored on this oneBEG

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Greg O wrote:
Have a friend that may be looking for one to convert single to 3 phase.

You may not find such a unit, period. The larger
VFDs, up in this range,
often have phase-loss detection, and will power on
and show an error
code when run on single phase. If you do find one
that will operate, it
may have a short life. You can get away with
playing these tricks with
smaller units, and I do it myself, but it gets
messier as you go up in
size.

Is this for a 20 Hp motor, or are you already
derating it for a 10 Hp motor?
A 10 Hp motor will draw about 8500 pure Watts.
Adding a little loss for
the VFD, you will draw maybe 9 kW, or 37.5 A at
240 V. Adding another
factor for power factor, you will draw over 40 A,
that's a lot on a 240 V
service.

Also note that you can't run ANYTHING other than a
motor off a VFD,
such as a welder, CNC or whatever.

If you need to run a 20 Hp motor off residential
240 V single-phase
service, I hope I'm not in your neighborhood.
You'd need an even
bigger VFD, and line current would approach 100 A.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jon Elson" wrote in message

Is this for a 20 Hp motor, or are you already derating it for a 10 Hp
motor?
A 10 Hp motor will draw about 8500 pure Watts. Adding a little loss for
the VFD, you will draw maybe 9 kW, or 37.5 A at 240 V. Adding another
factor for power factor, you will draw over 40 A, that's a lot on a 240 V
service.

I have a friend looking to run a 10 motor on a Causing lathe. He is planning
on a rotary converter, but would consider a VFD if a deal on a used one
could be found.
Greg

Iggy SteveB[_9_] Metalworking 9 August 17th 09 09:56 PM
Iggy - buyer for your TIG RWL Metalworking 3 November 1st 08 05:48 AM
Where In The World Is Iggy? Jim Chandler Metalworking 48 September 1st 08 06:09 PM
Iggy Here is a tap for your collection Up North Metalworking 4 June 2nd 08 09:36 PM
Ping: Iggy Jon Danniken Metalworking 11 May 12th 08 06:01 PM