Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark Rand Mark Rand is offline

Default Iggy, do you have a 20 HP VFD

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 23:50:47 -0600, Ignoramus29320

On 2009-11-21, Greg O wrote:
Have a friend that may be looking for one to convert single to 3 phase.

No, and you would be hard pressed to find something other than full
new price at driveswarehouse.com. Drives in this size usually have a 3
phase fault sensing circuit. Good luck looking.

A big phase converter may be a better bet, price wise. Used 3 phase
motors go for $5 or so per HP at scrap yards. So you are looking at
$150 in motors (say, three 10 HP electric motors) and an additional
amount for doodads like caps and starters, if you want to build a RPC
with 30 HP idler capacity.

Sorry to gloat (no I'm not :-), but my 23HP VFD cost me £10. Doesn't object to
working 1ph in, 3ph out. I use it with a step up transformer to go from 240V
single to 415V three phase. I'm not often lucky, but I scored on this oneBEG

Mark Rand
RTFM