Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default Iggy, do you have a 20 HP VFD

Greg O wrote:
Have a friend that may be looking for one to convert single to 3 phase.

You may not find such a unit, period. The larger
VFDs, up in this range,
often have phase-loss detection, and will power on
and show an error
code when run on single phase. If you do find one
that will operate, it
may have a short life. You can get away with
playing these tricks with
smaller units, and I do it myself, but it gets
messier as you go up in
size.

Is this for a 20 Hp motor, or are you already
derating it for a 10 Hp motor?
A 10 Hp motor will draw about 8500 pure Watts.
Adding a little loss for
the VFD, you will draw maybe 9 kW, or 37.5 A at
240 V. Adding another
factor for power factor, you will draw over 40 A,
that's a lot on a 240 V
service.

Also note that you can't run ANYTHING other than a
motor off a VFD,
such as a welder, CNC or whatever.

If you need to run a 20 Hp motor off residential
240 V single-phase
service, I hope I'm not in your neighborhood.
You'd need an even
bigger VFD, and line current would approach 100 A.

Jon