Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT the movie "catch 22" and how appropriate it is for our times.

friend of mine forwarded this article to me...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009...curity-taliban

i wasn't surprised at all we're paying the taliban to not attack our supply
lines (i remember seeing those pallet loads of $100 bills airlifted into
iraq, billion(s?) that "disappeared".)

what got me was one of my other friends responded with a quote from "catch
22",

""Nately died a wealthy man, Yossarian" Milo Minderbender from Joseph
Hellers' Catch22, 1970."

how *unbelieveablely* appropriate for our times. it's like it was written
*yesterday* as a parody of our wars in iraq and afghanistan. i hadn't
thought of "catch 22" in years.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065528/

i was wondering if hollywood could do it justice with a remake, i seriously
doubt it.

b.w.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"William Wixon" wrote in message
friend of mine forwarded this article to me...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009...curity-taliban

i wasn't surprised at all we're paying the taliban to not attack our
supply lines (i remember seeing those pallet loads of $100 bills airlifted
into iraq, billion(s?) that "disappeared".)

what got me was one of my other friends responded with a quote from "catch
22",

""Nately died a wealthy man, Yossarian" Milo Minderbender from Joseph
Hellers' Catch22, 1970."

how *unbelieveablely* appropriate for our times. it's like it was written
*yesterday* as a parody of our wars in iraq and afghanistan. i hadn't
thought of "catch 22" in years.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065528/

i was wondering if hollywood could do it justice with a remake, i
seriously doubt it.

b.w.

The book was brilliant. I just re-read it last year. IMO, it still holds up
perfectly well.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

William Wixon wrote:
friend of mine forwarded this article to me...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009...curity-taliban

i wasn't surprised at all we're paying the taliban to not attack our supply
lines (i remember seeing those pallet loads of $100 bills airlifted into
iraq, billion(s?) that "disappeared".)

what got me was one of my other friends responded with a quote from "catch
22",

""Nately died a wealthy man, Yossarian" Milo Minderbender from Joseph
Hellers' Catch22, 1970."

how *unbelieveablely* appropriate for our times. it's like it was written
*yesterday* as a parody of our wars in iraq and afghanistan. i hadn't
thought of "catch 22" in years.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065528/

i was wondering if hollywood could do it justice with a remake, i seriously
doubt it.

Forget the movie, read the book. again
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

how *unbelieveablely* appropriate for our times. it's like it was
written *yesterday* as a parody of our wars in iraq and afghanistan. i
hadn't thought of "catch 22" in years.

When i was a kid we were on a fishing trip in Baja. Guymas or San Felipe A
bunch of vintage US army trucks rolled in, along with film crews and actors.
They filmed the "airstrip" scenes there, lots of activity for an 12 year old
to see.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RBnDFW" wrote in message
William Wixon wrote:
friend of mine forwarded this article to me...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009...curity-taliban

i wasn't surprised at all we're paying the taliban to not attack our
supply lines (i remember seeing those pallet loads of $100 bills
airlifted into iraq, billion(s?) that "disappeared".)

what got me was one of my other friends responded with a quote from
"catch 22",

""Nately died a wealthy man, Yossarian" Milo Minderbender from Joseph
Hellers' Catch22, 1970."

how *unbelieveablely* appropriate for our times. it's like it was
written *yesterday* as a parody of our wars in iraq and afghanistan. i
hadn't thought of "catch 22" in years.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065528/

i was wondering if hollywood could do it justice with a remake, i
seriously doubt it.

Forget the movie, read the book. again

Neville Shute was one of us too! He used to write for Model Engineer
Magazine from time to time.

Steve R.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve R. wrote:
"RBnDFW" wrote in message
William Wixon wrote:
[...]

I love Shute's style. I need to find more of his books.
I've read Trustee (machining!), and also "On the Beach" (sports car racing!)