Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 9 volt transistor battery uses?

What's a way to use up old 9 volt transistor batteries? I've
got a couple dozen that still have some charge. I figure
with a couple battery clips, I could put two in series. Dump
the charge into 12 volt lead acid batteries to keep my
devices going some day when the power is out.

One of the charge bases for my FRS walkies takes 9 volts in.
Maybe rig something up, and parallel a couple transistor
batteries to keep FRS walkie charged.

Just hate to throw them all away.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 08:09:25 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

What's a way to use up old 9 volt transistor batteries? I've
got a couple dozen that still have some charge. I figure
with a couple battery clips, I could put two in series. Dump
the charge into 12 volt lead acid batteries to keep my
devices going some day when the power is out.

One of the charge bases for my FRS walkies takes 9 volts in.
Maybe rig something up, and parallel a couple transistor
batteries to keep FRS walkie charged.

Just hate to throw them all away.

They aren't much for curent output or capacity, maybe 100 - 200 mah
for good alkalines, the individual cells inside are just too small. I
just use them up for the things designed for them - meters, transistor
radios, my Raytemp thermometer, etc. before I buy more.

The 'Heavy Duty' ones are even less robust, and aren't even worth
bothering with. I don't waste the money buying them. And on either
type, if it's past it's pull date...

You do NOT use a questionable battery in a smoke detector or
anything that is Life Safety related, for that you buy a fresh pack of
alkalines - if the smoke detector I'm installing came with a HD, that
gets replaced with a known good alkaline. Use that HD battery up in a
meter that won't kill someone when the battery goes flat the wrong
night.

It doesn't make much sense to charge small batteries with other
small batteries, you are trying to dump 200mah into a 7 AH battery -
it won't even notice unless you waste a large pile of transistors.

If you want to run things, you make an external pack to run the
device drect. Probably several 9V batteries in parallel to get the
needed current.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:
What's a way to use up old 9 volt transistor batteries?

What is your time worth?

Your commodity alkaline 9 V battery takes about 11 hours to
discharge from 7 V to 4.8 V at 10 mA (70 F)
So that is an average of say 5.9 mW for a period of 39,600
seconds. Could that really be ~ 233 Joules?

One $0.14 kWHr delivers 3600000 Joules of energy.
So for 14 cents, you get the equivalent of ~15,450
"flat batteries'" worth of energy.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

What's a way to use up old 9 volt transistor batteries? I've
got a couple dozen that still have some charge. I figure
with a couple battery clips, I could put two in series. Dump
the charge into 12 volt lead acid batteries to keep my
devices going some day when the power is out.

One of the charge bases for my FRS walkies takes 9 volts in.
Maybe rig something up, and parallel a couple transistor
batteries to keep FRS walkie charged.

Just hate to throw them all away.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

I use them up in a DVM. They draw so little power that they last long on a
weak battery.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon writes:

What's a way to use up old 9 volt transistor batteries?

Lick 'em for a burst of flavor. Great way to stay awake on those long road
trips out there in Utah when your wives aren't entertaining you.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

What's a way to use up old 9 volt transistor batteries? I've
got a couple dozen that still have some charge. I figure
with a couple battery clips, I could put two in series. Dump
the charge into 12 volt lead acid batteries to keep my
devices going some day when the power is out.

One of the charge bases for my FRS walkies takes 9 volts in.
Maybe rig something up, and parallel a couple transistor
batteries to keep FRS walkie charged.

If you want to run things, you make an external pack to run the
device drect. Probably several 9V batteries in parallel to get the
needed current.

Or several in series to get more voltage, and then parallel the
series groups to get more current at that higher voltage. Note that to
connect them in series, you don't *need* and clip leads or other
connectors -- you just snap the button of one into the cage of the
other, and keep doing that until you have enough in series. That is one
of the nice things about those battery connectors, though I would use
new batteries for anything which matters, as the output voltage of the
old cells will be a function of how discharged they are when you start.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

DoN. Nichols wrote:

(...)

as the output voltage of the old cells will be a function
of how discharged they are when you start.

The most-discharged batteries in that string would soon
go 'reverse polarity' on you. Better to use a bunch
of independently - powered Joule Thieves with paralleled
outputs protected by blocking Schottkys.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schottky_diode

That way, any individual battery can do anything it wants
without bringing down the efficiency of the system.

It is still a massive waste of time, IMNSHO

--Winston

--

On YouTube, all the tools have volume controls.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
Stormin Mormon writes:

What's a way to use up old 9 volt transistor batteries?

Lick 'em for a burst of flavor. Great way to stay awake on those long

road
trips out there in Utah when your wives aren't entertaining you.

Christopher lives in New York.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

They aren't much for curent output or capacity, maybe
100 - 200 mah
for good alkalines, the individual cells inside are just too
small.

CY: Right, they are AAAA , or four A.

just use them up for the things designed for them - meters,
transistor
radios, my Raytemp thermometer, etc. before I buy more.

CY: That's a good idea.

The 'Heavy Duty' ones are even less robust, and aren't
even worth
bothering with. I don't waste the money buying them. And
on either
type, if it's past it's pull date...

CY: Heavy duty means carbon-zinc.

You do NOT use a questionable battery in a smoke detector
or
anything that is Life Safety related, for that you buy a
fresh pack of
alkalines - if the smoke detector I'm installing came with a
HD, that
gets replaced with a known good alkaline. Use that HD
battery up in a
meter that won't kill someone when the battery goes flat the
wrong
night.

CY: Right. Smoke detectors get new batteries of good
quality.

It doesn't make much sense to charge small batteries with
other
small batteries, you are trying to dump 200mah into a 7 AH
battery -
it won't even notice unless you waste a large pile of
transistors.

CY: Got enough of them sitting around.

If you want to run things, you make an external pack to
run the
device drect. Probably several 9V batteries in parallel to
get the
needed current.

CY: That did occur to me. By the time I build a jig, I could
have done other things.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

That's my thought. For charging lead acid batteries, so much
easier to plug into the wall. Might tinker with it, someday
when the power is out.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Winston" wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:
What's a way to use up old 9 volt transistor batteries?

What is your time worth?

Your commodity alkaline 9 V battery takes about 11 hours to
discharge from 7 V to 4.8 V at 10 mA (70 F)
So that is an average of say 5.9 mW for a period of 39,600
seconds. Could that really be ~ 233 Joules?

One $0.14 kWHr delivers 3600000 Joules of energy.
So for 14 cents, you get the equivalent of ~15,450
"flat batteries'" worth of energy.

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I've done that -- clip several in series. Not sure I'd want
a higher DC voltage. But, who knows?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

On 2009-11-18, Bruce L Bergman
wrote:

[...]

(too) near Washington D.C. |
--- Black Holes are where God is dividing by
zero ---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

That, and the LDS church gave up on plural marriage in 1890.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Stormin Mormon writes:

What's a way to use up old 9 volt transistor batteries?

Lick 'em for a burst of flavor. Great way to stay awake
on those long

road
trips out there in Utah when your wives aren't
entertaining you.

Christopher lives in New York.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:
That's my thought. For charging lead acid batteries, so much
easier to plug into the wall. Might tinker with it, someday
when the power is out.

You're gonna need a *lot* more power to charge lead acid batteries.

--Winston

--

On YouTube, all the tools have volume controls.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Great links. I do have a 1.5 watt dashboard solar panel for
my jumper pack. Run my key machine off the jump pack, now
and again. Of course, not much power in the transistor
batteries. I just hate to pitch em out.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

On 2009-11-18, Bruce L Bergman
wrote:

[...]

Someday I will get bored enough to take two new alkaline 9V batteries
and snap them together.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gerald Miller wrote:

Someday I will get bored enough to take two new alkaline 9V batteries
and snap them together.

They get really warm, or so I'm told.

--Winston

--

On YouTube, all the tools have volume controls.