Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Wet ink on $100 bills

A friend of mine was recently sent from Germany several US $100 bills
in a greeting card. On the inside of the card, some of ink on the
front face of a bill had transferred to the card. This seemed odd to
me, is this likely to happen? I didn't have a pen to check the paper,
but internal image seemed OK. These bills came from Deutschebank.

David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 05:45:10 -0600, David R.Birch wrote:

A friend of mine was recently sent from Germany several US $100 bills in
a greeting card. On the inside of the card, some of ink on the front
face of a bill had transferred to the card. This seemed odd to me, is
this likely to happen? I didn't have a pen to check the paper, but
internal image seemed OK. These bills came from Deutschebank.

David

Sounds like counterfeit to me.

Were it me I'd take them straight to a bank with the ink-stained greeting
card and ask for help. Maybe I'd put them in a plastic bag first.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Check it with a pen, but don't worry too much. The ink on new bills will rub
off. Intaglio printing leaves a lot of ink.

My brother had one of those red cedar boxes that you get at tourist traps.
He had a two dollar bill in it. It was in storage for a few years and when
he opened it, the ink on the bill was all runny and sticky. Apparently the
cedar oil fumes dissolved it.

Paul K. Dickman

"David R.Birch" wrote in message
A friend of mine was recently sent from Germany several US $100 bills in a
greeting card. On the inside of the card, some of ink on the front face of
a bill had transferred to the card. This seemed odd to me, is this likely
to happen? I didn't have a pen to check the paper, but internal image
seemed OK. These bills came from Deutschebank.

David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 05:45:10 -0600, "David R.Birch"
had a flock of green cheek conures squawk out:

A friend of mine was recently sent from Germany several US $100 bills
in a greeting card. On the inside of the card, some of ink on the
front face of a bill had transferred to the card. This seemed odd to
me, is this likely to happen? I didn't have a pen to check the paper,
but internal image seemed OK. These bills came from Deutschebank.

David

The ink on US paper money never completely dries.

--

Stephen

E=MC^2.. I'm not fat! I'm energetic!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , "David R.Birch" wrote:
A friend of mine was recently sent from Germany several US $100 bills
in a greeting card. On the inside of the card, some of ink on the
front face of a bill had transferred to the card. This seemed odd to
me, is this likely to happen? I didn't have a pen to check the paper,
but internal image seemed OK. These bills came from Deutschebank.

Doesn't seem too likely to me. I've never seen that happen before. I would
consider them counterfeit until proven otherwise.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:
On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 05:45:10 -0600, David R.Birch wrote:

A friend of mine was recently sent from Germany several US $100 bills in
a greeting card. On the inside of the card, some of ink on the front
face of a bill had transferred to the card. This seemed odd to me, is
this likely to happen? I didn't have a pen to check the paper, but
internal image seemed OK. These bills came from Deutschebank.

David

Sounds like counterfeit to me.

Were it me I'd take them straight to a bank with the ink-stained greeting
card and ask for help. Maybe I'd put them in a plastic bag first.

you might as well just throw them out and not waste the the time. If
they're bogus, a bank will not replace them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-11-17, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Tim Wescott wrote:
On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 05:45:10 -0600, David R.Birch wrote:

A friend of mine was recently sent from Germany several US $100 bills in
a greeting card. On the inside of the card, some of ink on the front
face of a bill had transferred to the card. This seemed odd to me, is
this likely to happen? I didn't have a pen to check the paper, but
internal image seemed OK. These bills came from Deutschebank.

David

Sounds like counterfeit to me.

Were it me I'd take them straight to a bank with the ink-stained greeting
card and ask for help. Maybe I'd put them in a plastic bag first.

you might as well just throw them out and not waste the the time. If
they're bogus, a bank will not replace them.

It is not too hard to perform basic checks to see if the bills are
counterfeit. The likelihood of finding a counterfeit bill with alls
ecurity features present, is not great.

http://www.wikihow.com/Detect-Counterfeit-US-Money

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 22:16:07 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

Tim Wescott wrote:
On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 05:45:10 -0600, David R.Birch wrote:

A friend of mine was recently sent from Germany several US $100 bills in
a greeting card. On the inside of the card, some of ink on the front
face of a bill had transferred to the card. This seemed odd to me, is
this likely to happen? I didn't have a pen to check the paper, but
internal image seemed OK. These bills came from Deutschebank.

David

Sounds like counterfeit to me.

Were it me I'd take them straight to a bank with the ink-stained greeting
card and ask for help. Maybe I'd put them in a plastic bag first.

you might as well just throw them out and not waste the the time. If
they're bogus, a bank will not replace them.

That is IF they are bogus. If they are not..one tosses $200 into the
trash can.

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-11-17, Ignoramus28865 wrote:
On 2009-11-17, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Tim Wescott wrote:
[...]

And right the

``It's a common misconception that if the ink smears when you rub the
bill on something, the bill isn't genuine. This isn't necessarily
true, but ink that does not smear doesn't mean the bill is genuine,
either.''

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 16:20:51 -0600, Ignoramus28865 wrote:
On 2009-11-17, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Tim Wescott wrote:
[...]

I once spent a $100.00 bill at an RV store (new toilet). The clerk held
it under a UV light.

The rag paper doesn't fluoresce; ordinary paper does.

Hope This Helps!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 19:32:04 +0000, Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "David R.Birch"
wrote:
A friend of mine was recently sent from Germany several US $100 bills in
a greeting card. On the inside of the card, some of ink on the front face
of a bill had transferred to the card. This seemed odd to me, is this
likely to happen? I didn't have a pen to check the paper, but internal
image seemed OK. These bills came from Deutschebank.

Doesn't seem too likely to me. I've never seen that happen before. I would
consider them counterfeit until proven otherwise.

Go to a local gas station/convenience store and buy something. They'll
let you know in a hurry if the bills are bogus. Maybe you should ask first.
The bank should also be able to tell you.

Problem is, if the bills are bogus, how do you go after the perp?

Hope This Helps!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 19:38:09 -0600, cavelamb wrote:
Steve W. wrote:
David R.Birch wrote:
A friend of mine was recently sent from Germany several US $100 bills
in a greeting card. On the inside of the card, some of ink on the front
face of a bill had transferred to the card. This seemed odd to me, is
this likely to happen? I didn't have a pen to check the paper, but
internal image seemed OK. These bills came from Deutschebank.

Just go to an office supply place (or even Wal~Mart) and get one of the
detector markers. I would bet they are OK.

Now if you're still worried about it you can send me the bills.... I'll
take all the risk and not tell anyone where they came from....

They only react to the starch in the paper, and will show a false result
if the bill has been through the washer.

If a bogus bill has been through the washer, would it still look like a
bill at all?

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 17, 5:20*pm, Ignoramus28865 ignoramus28...@NOSPAM.
On 2009-11-17, Cydrome Leader wrote:

Tim Wescott wrote:
[...]

in your dreams. I have handled thousands of counterfeit bills, and
some of them are simply amazing.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve W. wrote:
David R.Birch wrote:
[...]

Why is it that everyone seems to think that the US Bureau of Engraving
is staffed by magicians, and that printing US currency is one of the
black arts? There are skilled printers all over the world (mostly in
the mid and far east) who crank out very passable counterfeits. It's
really not at all unlikely that you have handled counterfeit currency
without having been aware of it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The rule is to take the money and you loose it.
If damaged - they take it - determine how much there is - maybe pieces - and
refunds.

I would bag it just in case they (SECRET SERVICE) wants finger prints...

Martin

Edward A. Falk wrote:
In article ,
Tim Wescott wrote:
Were it me I'd take them straight to a bank with the ink-stained greeting
card and ask for help. Maybe I'd put them in a plastic bag first.

And then get sent straight to jail because the cops can't reach out
to the counterfeiter overseas but they can damn well arrest the mokes
they've got standing in front of them in the bank.

Utility bills Terry Home Repair 1 February 22nd 07 06:37 PM
THIS WILL PAY SOME BILLS Brenek Home Repair 1 October 21st 05 09:10 PM
HOW I SAID BYE BYE BILLS B.B. Metalworking 2 August 4th 05 01:43 AM
Water Bills Rick UK diy 26 January 5th 05 09:09 AM
Gas Bills Den Home Repair 5 March 30th 04 02:23 AM