Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default More lead casting

Can I safely do casting under a range hood close to the pot and vent the
output through a HEPA filter and recirculate the air in the garage? I could
vent outside but I'd rather keep the heat in the winter.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Buerste" wrote:

Can I safely do casting under a range hood close to the pot and vent the
output through a HEPA filter and recirculate the air in the garage? I could
vent outside but I'd rather keep the heat in the winter.

I would not recommend working with lead around meal preparation areas. I've done it in a
pinch but I think it was not the smartest solution.

How about the bathroom? It has an exhaust fan most likely.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 16:20:07 -0500, "Buerste" wrote:

Can I safely do casting under a range hood close to the pot and vent the
output through a HEPA filter and recirculate the air in the garage? I could
vent outside but I'd rather keep the heat in the winter.

Yes indeed. I made one years ago for a guy that was allergic to
smoke..that simply bubbled the smog through a 35 gallon barrel and he
dumped it a couple times a year.

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--

Actually, I have a left over range hood when I put in a microwave over the
stove in the garage. I would mount it under the wall cabinets over the

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 16:20:07 -0500, "Buerste" wrote:

Can I safely do casting under a range hood close to the pot and vent the
output through a HEPA filter and recirculate the air in the garage? I could
vent outside but I'd rather keep the heat in the winter.

I don't know the answer, but I wonder whether the lead you'll breath in, even
without filtration will be significant compared with the lead we all used to
consume until TEL in petrol was phased out.

Another option, more expensive but better, is to still use the range hood, but
pass the exhaust air through a commercial heat recovery ventilator. This will
get back 50-75% of the heat while dumping the fumes straight outside. I'm
planning to fit one of these to my workshop next year fro general ventilation
and also to the shed I'll be building for the boss to keep her pet rats in.

Regards
Mark Rand
RTFM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Buerste" wrote:

Actually, I have a left over range hood when I put in a microwave over the
stove in the garage. I would mount it under the wall cabinets over the
workbench. NO WAY will I do this in the house. The garage is heated and
comfortable but if I just vent the hood outside it's going to suck a lot of
the heat out.

Damn, that is the second thing today, I misread.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Mark Rand" wrote in message
[...]

Pet rats? So, she's a RANCHER!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 06:26:50 -0500, "Buerste" wrote:

Pet rats? So, she's a RANCHER!

Seems more like a feed lot at times. Darn things get through more vegetables
than the family do!

Mark Rand
RTFM

Lead casting Buerste Metalworking 11 November 7th 09 09:21 AM
Lead burning/tack welding torch - boiler flue through lead roof Tim S UK diy 12 March 20th 09 01:58 PM
Lead-Free vs. 63/37 tin/lead solder [email protected] Electronics Repair 28 June 17th 06 12:29 PM
Help bed casting ottomatic Metalworking 6 September 13th 05 05:39 AM
Help: bed casting ottomatic Metalworking 5 September 8th 05 05:13 PM