Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tapping with an MT3 drill press

I have an MT3 drill press with variable speed pulley system, running
on a VFD. (it is already wired and runs, but wiring is not finished).

It has a 1140 RPM, 1 HP 3 phase motor. The original speed range on it
is from 130 RPM to 1300 RPM.

With the VFD, I set the max frequency to 90 Hz (at which the motor
would produce 1750 RPM). So effectively, my speed range is 0-2000 RPM,
with maximum torque at 130 RPM at 60 Hz.

I would like to use this drill press for tapping, and want to make
sure that I will not overload it. So, would anyone have any clue as to
what would its maximum tap diameter be for, say, coarse threads and
mild steel.

The immediate relevance of this question is that I brought home a set
of Scully-Jones tap holders and I am not sure if they are too big for
my DP, or not.