Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How to Cast Aluminium Heat Sink Fins

I have a read a few books on metal casting but I haven't read any
information of how to cast aluminium heat fins like those found on
small air cooled engines. I know for larger air cooled engines the
heat fins are machined but believe small engine heat fins are cast.
Thanks for any information.

Brock
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 9, 9:31*pm, durabol wrote:
I have a read a few books on metal casting but I haven't read any
information of how to cast aluminium heat fins like those found on
small air cooled engines. I know for larger air cooled engines the
heat fins are machined but believe small engine heat fins are cast.
Thanks for any information.

Brock

What are you building?

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

durabol wrote:
I have a read a few books on metal casting but I haven't read any
information of how to cast aluminium heat fins like those found on
small air cooled engines. I know for larger air cooled engines the
heat fins are machined but believe small engine heat fins are cast.

One-off or production? Production would be die cast. One-off would
depend upon what you mean by "small". For a model aircraft engine, lost
wax is probably the only feasible technique. For lawn mower engine,
sand or lost foam. I tried lost foam for an electronics heat sink & was
only moderately successful. Mostly a matter of my low experience level.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 9, 9:16*pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
On Nov 9, 9:31*pm, durabol wrote:

I have a read a few books on metalcastingbut I haven't read any
information of how to cast aluminium heat fins like those found on
small air cooled engines. I know for larger air cooled engines the
heat fins are machined but believe small engine heat fins are cast.
Thanks for any information.

Brock

What are you building?

TMT

I first want to cast a rectangular heat sink for an amplifier. This
would be an open face plaster casting using a wax model of the heat
sink. I have tried this before and had troubles with air bubbles in
the plaster and getting the aluminium into the fin slots. I am just
doing this for fun as I know it would be better just to buy extruded.

Brock

Cast Aluminium Garden Furniture John UK diy 4 September 1st 08 05:51 PM
Aluminium heat exchanger Andrew UK diy 1 March 25th 08 11:05 PM
Cast Aluminium Garden table & Chairs MrBlueSkye UK diy 0 May 10th 05 01:03 PM
Cast aluminium repair Dennis Metalworking 4 November 24th 04 03:47 AM
Pressure wash outdoor heat pump compressor fins? John Harlow Home Repair 6 November 22nd 04 07:28 PM