Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How I spent my weekend, so far

We went on a "ride" yesterday, leaving from my rural ranch to go to the
Virgin River, near the town of Hurricane. We rode six miles over slick rock
and sand. When we got close to the river, the grade increased, and we were
committed to go down. Two Polaris Razors, an Arctic Cat 400 4 by, and a 2wd
Honda 300 trx.

Trying to get out, we just spun out on the sandy steep road out. Three of
us took a Razor and the Cat about 1.5 miles downriver, following sandbars
and made 3 river crossings, 2 of which the Cat floated off course.

The Razor could not make the bank at the final crossing, so John stayed
there. The two of us rode the cat down looking for the next beach where
there would be people. Finally, the cat wouldn't go any farther because of
steep sides, so my buddy took off walking. He ended up at that beach, where
he got a ride to get back to my house and get the truck. I went back to
John, and then we both headed back to the group. We were preparing to spend
the night with minimal preparations. doh!

By now, the buddy who set off walking to the public beach had gotten back to
my house with the help of a good Samaritan. Sun was setting, and we were in
cell phone contact, so my buddy headed toward us in the truck, and we
started walking out. In the dark, uphill, through sand and rock. We
finally met, and all made it back to the house.

This morning, I went to Ace Hardware to ask the guy there I know who knows
everything and everyone in town. In 30 minutes, four search and rescue
people with trucks, trailers, and atvs were taking us to get our stuck
vehicles. We rode in double on their big honking atvs. When we got there,
they just let air out of the Razors tires, and they blasted sand all the way
up. What we did need, though, was their 650 Can-Ams to pull out the Cat and
Honda. We all got up to level ground, and we took off home. They split up
from us and went to explore another trail miles away. By the time we had
gone to my house a couple of miles away and shuttled some vehicles, we came
back, and they had come out, loaded, and were gone.

Six people - myself, had a 5 way bypass and plastic aortic valve, a guy who
is having a knee replacement in two weeks, his wife who had a fractured
pelvis a few years ago, my wife who has a bad knee, and SIL who's just a
little frail. Only one of the six was in decent condition. But we walked
up 1.8 miles through sand and rock in the dark, laughing and joking all the
way. Not one whiner.

It's nice to know in this day and age that there are people who help for the
sake of helping.

We're going fishing this afternoon. I hope it is uneventful.

Life is good, and God always sends you what you need. Maybe not what you
want, but ......

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 7 Nov 2009 13:58:30 -0700, "SteveB" wrote:

[...]

Im rather embaressed for you that you had such poor preps on hand when
playing out in the outback.

Think hard before going out again.

Just a heads up.

Gunner

"IMHO, some people here give Jeff far more attention than he deserves,
but obviously craves. The most appropriate response, and perhaps the
cruelest, IMO, is to simply killfile and ignore him. An alternative, if
you must, would be to post the same standard reply to his every post,
listing the manifold reasons why he ought to be ignored. Just my $0.02
worth."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Sounds like a fun day. Seems like a good case to have a winch
available. Maybe even just a 3/4 ton lever hoist.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote

Im rather embaressed for you that you had such poor preps on hand when
playing out in the outback.

Think hard before going out again.

Just a heads up.

Gunner

The three men in the group have been on countless outings all over the
world. We did have a very humbling experience, and were all discussing what
changes and preparations we were going to do.

Getting caught with your pants down is no fun, no matter what it is you are
REALLY doing.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus8745" wrote in message
Sounds like a fun day. Seems like a good case to have a winch
available. Maybe even just a 3/4 ton lever hoist.

No good in soft sand, nothing to dead man to. What got us out was lowering
the tire pressure on the Razors, and they climbed right out. It took two
Can-ams hooked together in series to get the other two bikes out, one at a
time. I never could see what the big deal was about an ATV with 650cc
engines until today. Singly, they would run right up the big sandy twisty
trail.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 7 Nov 2009 20:14:07 -0700, "SteveB" wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote

Im rather embaressed for you that you had such poor preps on hand when
playing out in the outback.

Think hard before going out again.

Just a heads up.

Gunner

The three men in the group have been on countless outings all over the
world. We did have a very humbling experience, and were all discussing what
changes and preparations we were going to do.

Getting caught with your pants down is no fun, no matter what it is you are
REALLY doing.

Steve

Ayup. Been there..done that when I was young. Now..I go with what I
best consider for the event..proper preps. Saves time, saves
headaches..saves lives

Gunner

"IMHO, some people here give Jeff far more attention than he deserves,
but obviously craves. The most appropriate response, and perhaps the
cruelest, IMO, is to simply killfile and ignore him. An alternative, if
you must, would be to post the same standard reply to his every post,
listing the manifold reasons why he ought to be ignored. Just my $0.02
worth."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Robert Swinney" wrote in message
All's well that ends well ! Inspirational story, particularly considering
the condition of the
participants. Thanks for sharing, Steve.

Bob Swinney

Well, me and wifey are sure going through the boxes and rethinking. It
really looked like four of them were going to spend the night in 40 degree
weather with minimal clothing. We did have the presence of mind to take
some food and water, and we did wrap some of the gear in towels to cushion
the shock. Even though, it would have been a long long night.

One of the longest nights in my life was getting caught in a wet sleeping
bag all night in the Rockies. A few nights in ICU don't even come close.

**** happens. Be prepared.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:

"Robert Swinney" wrote in message
All's well that ends well ! Inspirational story, particularly considering
the condition of the
participants. Thanks for sharing, Steve.

Bob Swinney

Well, me and wifey are sure going through the boxes and rethinking. It
really looked like four of them were going to spend the night in 40 degree
weather with minimal clothing. We did have the presence of mind to take
some food and water, and we did wrap some of the gear in towels to cushion
the shock. Even though, it would have been a long long night.

One of the longest nights in my life was getting caught in a wet sleeping
bag all night in the Rockies. A few nights in ICU don't even come close.

**** happens. Be prepared.

Like cold weather survival training at Ft. Greeley. They gave you a
tent half, a sleeping bag and a folding shovel, along with a day's
c-rations. It was well below -20 with a wind that cut right through your
clothing. We built a fire, but you had to stand within two feet of the
roaring flames to get any heat, while the other side of you froze.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 8 Nov 2009 16:21:13 -0700, "SteveB"
wrote:

A few nights in ICU don't even come close.

My only experience in ICU involved a homely, dark skinned female
person with VERY soft hands!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:

"Ignoramus8745" wrote in message
Sounds like a fun day. Seems like a good case to have a winch
available. Maybe even just a 3/4 ton lever hoist.

No good in soft sand, nothing to dead man to. What got us out was lowering
the tire pressure on the Razors, and they climbed right out. It took two
Can-ams hooked together in series to get the other two bikes out, one at a
time. I never could see what the big deal was about an ATV with 650cc
engines until today. Singly, they would run right up the big sandy twisty
trail.

Steve

The shovel / plow type land anchors would probably work, even just a
regular folding camp shovel used similarly. Also given the low weight of
ATVs (relative to trucks), carrying a couple hundred feet of good static
rope per ATV to extend the winches reach wouldn't be unreasonable.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 8 Nov 2009 16:21:13 -0700, "SteveB" wrote:

"Robert Swinney" wrote in message
m...
All's well that ends well ! Inspirational story, particularly considering
the condition of the
participants. Thanks for sharing, Steve.

Bob Swinney

Well, me and wifey are sure going through the boxes and rethinking. It
really looked like four of them were going to spend the night in 40 degree
weather with minimal clothing. We did have the presence of mind to take
some food and water, and we did wrap some of the gear in towels to cushion
the shock. Even though, it would have been a long long night.

One of the longest nights in my life was getting caught in a wet sleeping
bag all night in the Rockies. A few nights in ICU don't even come close.

**** happens. Be prepared.

Steve

want some good ideas? Ask what a Field Kit for your 4xs should have
included in them.

Might be interesting if asked on misc.survivalism as well. There are
some very well prepped people over there.

Me...I keep a 72 hour rig in every vehicle I own.

Gunner

"IMHO, some people here give Jeff far more attention than he deserves,
but obviously craves. The most appropriate response, and perhaps the
cruelest, IMO, is to simply killfile and ignore him. An alternative, if
you must, would be to post the same standard reply to his every post,
listing the manifold reasons why he ought to be ignored. Just my $0.02
worth."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 08 Nov 2009 19:28:55 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

SteveB wrote:

[...]

On the other hand..if you put that shelter half upwind and braced with
snow, built your fire 3-5 foot downwind..you could have sheltered
comfortably.

Gunner, who was raised in the UP of Michigan and who used to snow camp
out of a back pack regularly in mid winter..including -60f

Gunner

"IMHO, some people here give Jeff far more attention than he deserves,
but obviously craves. The most appropriate response, and perhaps the
cruelest, IMO, is to simply killfile and ignore him. An alternative, if
you must, would be to post the same standard reply to his every post,
listing the manifold reasons why he ought to be ignored. Just my $0.02
worth."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 08 Nov 2009 20:19:04 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

SteveB wrote:

"Ignoramus8745" wrote in message
Sounds like a fun day. Seems like a good case to have a winch
available. Maybe even just a 3/4 ton lever hoist.

No good in soft sand, nothing to dead man to. What got us out was lowering
the tire pressure on the Razors, and they climbed right out. It took two
Can-ams hooked together in series to get the other two bikes out, one at a
time. I never could see what the big deal was about an ATV with 650cc
engines until today. Singly, they would run right up the big sandy twisty
trail.

Steve

The shovel / plow type land anchors would probably work, even just a
regular folding camp shovel used similarly. Also given the low weight of
ATVs (relative to trucks), carrying a couple hundred feet of good static
rope per ATV to extend the winches reach wouldn't be unreasonable.

A 3lb hammer and a 4' chunk of 1" bar stock sharpened on one end makes a
very good anchor and is easy to get back out of the ground

Gunner

"IMHO, some people here give Jeff far more attention than he deserves,
but obviously craves. The most appropriate response, and perhaps the
cruelest, IMO, is to simply killfile and ignore him. An alternative, if
you must, would be to post the same standard reply to his every post,
listing the manifold reasons why he ought to be ignored. Just my $0.02
worth."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

SteveB wrote:

[...]

We weren't allowed to take any rope, so we had to use small branches
to hold it up, then bury most of it in snow. The fire was 40 to 60 feet
high, and could go from a roaring fire to cold ashes in less than 10
minutes. We weren't allowed to take an ax or hatchet, so the only way to
gather firewood was to break it off the frozen pine trees. If you drop
kicked it just right, you could snap a six inch trunk of a small pine
tree. A really clean break, where the tree was frozen to the core. The
record low temperature was -69 degrees, BTW. the winds could literally
blow you off a path, and if you were unlucky, they wouldn't find you
till spring. That is, if the wild animals didn't find your frozen corpse
first. Its one thing to be able to plan what you're taking to be
prepared for the severe weather, and another to have them unlock the
door to your room in the barracks and shove you on the back of a duce &
a half with what little you're allowed to use. They wanted to see how
you reacted to the cold, hunger and isolation. In some cases people had
to be hauled out and taken to the hospital, because they weren't
physically ready to cope. Southern boys had it the worst. I was from
Ohio, so I was used to cold winters.

Gunner, who was raised in the UP of Michigan and who used to snow camp
out of a back pack regularly in mid winter..including -60f

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

A few nights in ICU don't even come close.

My only experience in ICU involved a homely, dark skinned female
person with VERY soft hands!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

One of mine was ex-NFL player Gary Wright, who had gotten out of football,
and become a highly trained nurse.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Let the Record show that "SteveB" on or about
Sun, 8 Nov 2009 16:21:13 -0700 did write/type or cause to appear in
rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

"Robert Swinney" wrote in message
m...
All's well that ends well ! Inspirational story, particularly considering
the condition of the participants. Thanks for sharing, Steve.

Bob Swinney

Well, me and wifey are sure going through the boxes and rethinking. It
really looked like four of them were going to spend the night in 40 degree
weather with minimal clothing. We did have the presence of mind to take
some food and water, and we did wrap some of the gear in towels to cushion
the shock. Even though, it would have been a long long night.

One of the longest nights in my life was getting caught in a wet sleeping
bag all night in the Rockies. A few nights in ICU don't even come close.

Hitchhiking in August, in Switzerland. It is high enough that it
gets cold at night. Didn't have even light jacket to cut it when
there's a steady breeze. I wound up behind a Transformer box - "warm"
but unable to flag any rides. Good thing for me, I didn't miss any
:-)
I was 20, young and dumb, and a weekend at the Lausanne school
seemed a good idea.
-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

How I spent my lunch hour Stupendous Man Metalworking 5 May 16th 08 01:56 AM
Spent a couple Days with Roy John Grossbohlin Woodworking 8 March 14th 06 01:54 AM
Spent the whole week in the shop.... Dave Jackson Woodworking 6 January 3rd 06 02:12 AM
I spent a long time Matt Home Repair 54 June 26th 05 05:22 PM
Well, that was a fun weekend! Let's see what next weekend brings!( longish ) Mark and Kim Smith Home Repair 2 October 25th 04 08:16 PM