Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveB[_9_] SteveB[_9_] is offline

Default How I spent my weekend, so far

We went on a "ride" yesterday, leaving from my rural ranch to go to the
Virgin River, near the town of Hurricane. We rode six miles over slick rock
and sand. When we got close to the river, the grade increased, and we were
committed to go down. Two Polaris Razors, an Arctic Cat 400 4 by, and a 2wd
Honda 300 trx.

Trying to get out, we just spun out on the sandy steep road out. Three of
us took a Razor and the Cat about 1.5 miles downriver, following sandbars
and made 3 river crossings, 2 of which the Cat floated off course.

The Razor could not make the bank at the final crossing, so John stayed
there. The two of us rode the cat down looking for the next beach where
there would be people. Finally, the cat wouldn't go any farther because of
steep sides, so my buddy took off walking. He ended up at that beach, where
he got a ride to get back to my house and get the truck. I went back to
John, and then we both headed back to the group. We were preparing to spend
the night with minimal preparations. doh!

By now, the buddy who set off walking to the public beach had gotten back to
my house with the help of a good Samaritan. Sun was setting, and we were in
cell phone contact, so my buddy headed toward us in the truck, and we
started walking out. In the dark, uphill, through sand and rock. We
finally met, and all made it back to the house.

This morning, I went to Ace Hardware to ask the guy there I know who knows
everything and everyone in town. In 30 minutes, four search and rescue
people with trucks, trailers, and atvs were taking us to get our stuck
vehicles. We rode in double on their big honking atvs. When we got there,
they just let air out of the Razors tires, and they blasted sand all the way
up. What we did need, though, was their 650 Can-Ams to pull out the Cat and
Honda. We all got up to level ground, and we took off home. They split up
from us and went to explore another trail miles away. By the time we had
gone to my house a couple of miles away and shuttled some vehicles, we came
back, and they had come out, loaded, and were gone.

Six people - myself, had a 5 way bypass and plastic aortic valve, a guy who
is having a knee replacement in two weeks, his wife who had a fractured
pelvis a few years ago, my wife who has a bad knee, and SIL who's just a
little frail. Only one of the six was in decent condition. But we walked
up 1.8 miles through sand and rock in the dark, laughing and joking all the
way. Not one whiner.

It's nice to know in this day and age that there are people who help for the
sake of helping.

We're going fishing this afternoon. I hope it is uneventful.

Life is good, and God always sends you what you need. Maybe not what you
want, but ......

Steve