Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Anvil launching

I am mainly a lurker here, but I could not think of anything more
appropriate for this group.

http://www.break.com/index/shooting-...n-the-air.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 21:18:47 -0700, "anorton"
wrote:

I am mainly a lurker here, but I could not think of anything more
appropriate for this group.

http://www.break.com/index/shooting-...n-the-air.html

Way way way COOL!!! Yeehaw!!

Gunner

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary
that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even
alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every
quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"anorton" wrote in message
m...
I am mainly a lurker here, but I could not think of anything more
appropriate for this group.

http://www.break.com/index/shooting-...n-the-air.html

I want to see some manly men CATCH anvils!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I am mainly a lurker here, but I could not think of anything more
appropriate for this group.

http://www.break.com/index/shooting-...n-the-air.html

Way way way COOL!!! Yeehaw!!

Gunner

which brings up a question...

Do all anvils have a powder chamber in the base?
Or was that launcher modified for the job?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 23, 6:43*am, "Buerste" wrote:
"anorton" wrote in message

m...

I am mainly a lurker here, but I could not think of anything more
appropriate for this group.

http://www.break.com/index/shooting-...n-the-air.html

I want to see some manly men CATCH anvils!

Yes but keep your superglue handy..

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DT DT is offline

In article , says...
"anorton" wrote in message
om...
I am mainly a lurker here, but I could not think of anything more
appropriate for this group.

http://www.break.com/index/shooting-...n-the-air.html

I want to see some manly men CATCH anvils!

Now Tom, we are going to have some idiots driving their pickups around
to catch them in the bed, and oops...

--
Dennis

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 03:30:17 -0700, the infamous Gunner Asch
scrawled the following:

wrote:

I am mainly a lurker here, but I could not think of anything more
appropriate for this group.

http://www.break.com/index/shooting-...n-the-air.html

Way way way COOL!!! Yeehaw!!

I'm reporting them to the Anvil Abuse Team immediately!

------
We're born hungry, wet, 'n naked, and it gets worse from there.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 06:43:26 -0400, the infamous "Buerste"
scrawled the following:

"anorton" wrote in message
om...
I am mainly a lurker here, but I could not think of anything more
appropriate for this group.

http://www.break.com/index/shooting-...n-the-air.html

I want to see some manly men CATCH anvils!

Like the Chinese catch trees?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B3e2yVSa3A

------
We're born hungry, wet, 'n naked, and it gets worse from there.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"anorton" wrote in message
m...
I am mainly a lurker here, but I could not think of anything more
appropriate for this group.

http://www.break.com/index/shooting-...n-the-air.html

I'd move that truck a little. Quite a shot. I'm impressed.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"anorton" wrote in message
m...
I am mainly a lurker here, but I could not think of anything more
appropriate for this group.

http://www.break.com/index/shooting-...n-the-air.html

Reminds me of the awesome Punkin' Chunkin' contests.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...1055895730307#

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DT" wrote in message
In article , says...
"anorton" wrote in message
news:s7WdnYGjvuMns3zXnZ2dnUVZ_uSdnZ2d@earthlink. com...
I am mainly a lurker here, but I could not think of anything more
appropriate for this group.

http://www.break.com/index/shooting-...n-the-air.html

I want to see some manly men CATCH anvils!

Now Tom, we are going to have some idiots driving their pickups around
to catch them in the bed, and oops...

--
Dennis

I'd pay to see that!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"anorton" wrote in message
news:s7WdnYGjvuMns3zXnZ2dnUVZ_uSdnZ2d@earthlink. com...
I am mainly a lurker here, but I could not think of anything more
appropriate for this group.

http://www.break.com/index/shooting-...n-the-air.html

I want to see some manly men CATCH anvils!

Like the Chinese catch trees?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B3e2yVSa3A

LOL!

Did he win that year's Darwin award? ;-)

Thanks!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I am mainly a lurker here, but I could not think of anything more
appropriate for this group.

http://www.break.com/index/shooting-...n-the-air.html

Great fun and good control of spin. But that "hundred pound anvil" looked like
a sixty pound jeweler's anvil to me :-|

Mark Rand(owner of both a jeweler's anvil and a 400lb plater's anvil)
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I am mainly a lurker here, but I could not think of anything more
appropriate for this group.

http://www.break.com/index/shooting-...n-the-air.html

Great fun and good control of spin. But that "hundred pound anvil" looked
like
a sixty pound jeweler's anvil to me :-|

Mark Rand(owner of both a jeweler's anvil and a 400lb plater's anvil)
RTFM

What's a plater's anvil? Is that for mechanical plating, with a hammer?

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"anorton" wrote in message
news:s7WdnYGjvuMns3zXnZ2dnUVZ_uSdnZ2d@earthlink. com...
I am mainly a lurker here, but I could not think of anything more
appropriate for this group.

http://www.break.com/index/shooting-...n-the-air.html

I want to see some manly men CATCH anvils!

Like the Chinese catch trees?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B3e2yVSa3A

LOL!

Did he win that year's Darwin award? ;-)

Thanks!
Rich

Almost as bad as being goalie for a rifle team.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"anorton" wrote in message
news:s7WdnYGjvuMns3zXnZ2dnUVZ_uSdnZ2d@earthlink. com...
I am mainly a lurker here, but I could not think of anything more
appropriate for this group.

http://www.break.com/index/shooting-...n-the-air.html

I want to see some manly men CATCH anvils!

Like the Chinese catch trees?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B3e2yVSa3A

LOL!

Did he win that year's Darwin award? ;-)

Thanks!
Rich

Almost as bad as being goalie for a rifle team.

Crom...thats the FIRST new one Ive heard in years!

Can I use it in the future? I love it!!

Gunner

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary
that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even
alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every
quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 19:35:52 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I am mainly a lurker here, but I could not think of anything more
appropriate for this group.

http://www.break.com/index/shooting-...n-the-air.html

Great fun and good control of spin. But that "hundred pound anvil" looked
like
a sixty pound jeweler's anvil to me :-|

Mark Rand(owner of both a jeweler's anvil and a 400lb plater's anvil)
RTFM

What's a plater's anvil? Is that for mechanical plating, with a hammer?

An anvil used by a plater. A plater is one that prepares plates and steel
sections for boilers, pressure vessels and other constructions. It's the brute
force end of blacksmithing. The guy I bought it off had used it most of his
working life as a Plater in the Black Country (Wolverhampton area).

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 16:42:32 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

What's a plater's anvil? Is that for mechanical plating, with a hammer?

An anvil used by a plater. A plater is one that prepares plates and steel
sections for boilers, pressure vessels and other constructions. It's the
brute
force end of blacksmithing. The guy I bought it off had used it most of
his
working life as a Plater in the Black Country (Wolverhampton area).

Mark Rand
RTFM

Is this connected to the reason that the UK has so much advanced
manufacturing technology? g,d, and r

So, what do *you* do with a 400-lb anvil? It sounds like a useful thing for
working out one's frustrations after a rough week at work.

At the moment, what I do with it mostly is trip over it. It's too big for my
anticipated needs, but the little jewellers anvil is somewhat on the small
side. I'll probably try to pass is on to someone that can make use of it as
other than a garden ornament...

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mark Rand wrote:

What's a plater's anvil? Is that for mechanical plating, with a hammer?

An anvil used by a plater. A plater is one that prepares plates and steel
sections for boilers, pressure vessels and other constructions. It's the brute
force end of blacksmithing. The guy I bought it off had used it most of his
working life as a Plater in the Black Country (Wolverhampton area).

Sounds like a guy that would have muscles in his sh*t.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I want to see some manly men CATCH anvils!

Now Tom, we are going to have some idiots driving their pickups around
to catch them in the bed, and oops...

--
Dennis

I'd pay to see that!

Anyone can launch one. Catching one. Now that takes skill.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 06:43:26 -0400, "Buerste"
wrote:

I want to see some manly men CATCH anvils!

It's not an anvil, but the result is probably quite similar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEFWDsFthbc
--
RoRo
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z41u4yYypQ&NR=1

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary
that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even
alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every
quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Buerste wrote:
"anorton" wrote in message
m...
I am mainly a lurker here, but I could not think of anything more
appropriate for this group.

http://www.break.com/index/shooting-...n-the-air.html

I want to see some manly men CATCH anvils!

In another group a friend pointed out that this was a colonial
entertainment, and fuses were generally not used, a short trail of Black
Powder would be lit by touching a hot poker to it. "the result would be
the launcher standing in a cloud of smoke, knowing that there was a
large anvil somewhere high above his head"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.break.com/index/shooting-...n-the-air.html

I have seen it done, as a kid. The base anvil had a hole about 2-3 inches in
diameter and about as deep bored in the center of the top surface, with a
groove to the end. the top anvil was set on upside-down. Jim used a fuse
rather than a line of powder. The law requires that anvils must be
magnafluxed between shots, it is apparently a bad thing when one shatters.

I used to take used VW cylinder-piston assemblies and remove the rings, then
place a "black cat" under the piston in the barrel. Tosses it a good 50 feet
, bigger bang makes a longer flight.
--
Stupendous Man,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Blowing the anvil" almost destroyed our national blacksmithing
organization, the Artist Blacksmith Associatio of North America
www.abana.org) when a lawyer made it to the board and got the board to
decree that no chapter could do it anymore. One group did. Took years
to recover. Maybe we still haven't. I think it used to have about 5000
members, now maybe 3000. (don't flame me if I'm off a little). Now we
can't even be called "Chapters" anymore. We can only be called
"alliliates" so the national org had less liability.

I suppose that if you belonged to a car club, you'd run into the same
kind of problem with your VW pistons. Don't ask, don't tell.

I know we'd never do anything with matches.

Pete Stanaitis

anvil question kc[_3_] Metalworking 23 December 30th 08 04:19 PM
launching attachments problem Renata Woodworking Plans and Photos 3 May 23rd 07 01:57 PM
anvil John G UK diy 12 February 9th 05 09:31 PM
New Global Stock Exchange Launching MAY 2005 The Bear Home Ownership 0 January 1st 05 11:23 PM