Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default FS_Bridgeport Right angle head

http://picasaweb.google.com/gunneras...31856491735314

Rough cosmetics, it appears to be in good mechanical shape.

$350 OBO

Gunner

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary
that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even
alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every
quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 04:33:39 -0700, the infamous Gunner Asch
scrawled the following:

http://picasaweb.google.com/gunneras...31856491735314

Rough cosmetics, it appears to be in good mechanical shape.

$350 OBO

Not being an actual machinist and all, I have to ask this question:
Did BP make a Left Angle Head, too?

---
A book burrows into your life in a very profound way
because the experience of reading is not passive.
--Erica Jong
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 04:33:39 -0700, the infamous Gunner Asch
scrawled the following:

http://picasaweb.google.com/gunneras...31856491735314

Rough cosmetics, it appears to be in good mechanical shape.

$350 OBO

Not being an actual machinist and all, I have to ask this question:
Did BP make a Left Angle Head, too?

---
A book burrows into your life in a very profound way
because the experience of reading is not passive.
--Erica Jong

Don't be obtuse, BP never made a Acute Angle Head either!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 05:44:57 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 04:33:39 -0700, the infamous Gunner Asch
scrawled the following:

http://picasaweb.google.com/gunneras...31856491735314

Rough cosmetics, it appears to be in good mechanical shape.

$350 OBO

Not being an actual machinist and all, I have to ask this question:
Did BP make a Left Angle Head, too?

No..but the Red Chinese do.

---
A book burrows into your life in a very profound way
because the experience of reading is not passive.
--Erica Jong

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary
that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even
alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every
quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 10:08:06 -0700, "T.Alan Kraus"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 04:33:39 -0700, the infamous Gunner Asch
scrawled the following:

http://picasaweb.google.com/gunneras...31856491735314

Rough cosmetics, it appears to be in good mechanical shape.

$350 OBO

Not being an actual machinist and all, I have to ask this question:
Did BP make a Left Angle Head, too?

---
A book burrows into your life in a very profound way
because the experience of reading is not passive.
--Erica Jong

Don't be obtuse, BP never made a Acute Angle Head either!

ROFLMAO!! Well done Sir..veddywelldone indeed!

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary
that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even
alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every
quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 04:33:39 -0700, the infamous Gunner Asch
scrawled the following:

http://picasaweb.google.com/gunneras...31856491735314

Rough cosmetics, it appears to be in good mechanical shape.

$350 OBO

Not being an actual machinist and all, I have to ask this question:
Did BP make a Left Angle Head, too?

No..but the Red Chinese do.

Is there a column mounted arbour support bracket to go with it?

regards
Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 04:33:39 -0700, the infamous Gunner Asch
scrawled the following:

http://picasaweb.google.com/gunneras...31856491735314

Rough cosmetics, it appears to be in good mechanical shape.

$350 OBO

Not being an actual machinist and all, I have to ask this question:
Did BP make a Left Angle Head, too?

No..but the Red Chinese do.

Is there a column mounted arbour support bracket to go with it?

Nope...just whats in the picture.

Feel free to browse the other catagories as well.

http://picasaweb.google.com/gunnerasch

regards
Mark Rand
RTFM

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary
that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even
alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every
quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 04:33:39 -0700, the infamous Gunner Asch
scrawled the following:

http://picasaweb.google.com/gunneras...31856491735314

Rough cosmetics, it appears to be in good mechanical shape.

$350 OBO

Not being an actual machinist and all, I have to ask this question:
Did BP make a Left Angle Head, too?

No..but the Red Chinese do.

No no, theirs is a wong angle head.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 04:33:39 -0700, the infamous Gunner Asch
scrawled the following:

http://picasaweb.google.com/gunneras...31856491735314

Rough cosmetics, it appears to be in good mechanical shape.

$350 OBO

Is there a column mounted arbour support bracket to go with it?

Nope...just whats in the picture.

Phew.

Got a shaper ..I could make one up.

Might cost more than the head though....

And Id need to study a Bridgeport . I dont have one close by.

Actually..Ive never seen a support (tailstock) with one of these..and
Ive seen a bunch in the shops I service. Most have much shorter arbors
however

Gunner

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary
that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even
alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every
quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 00:24:27 -0500, the infamous Don Foreman
scrawled the following:

wrote:

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 04:33:39 -0700, the infamous Gunner Asch
scrawled the following:

http://picasaweb.google.com/gunneras...31856491735314

Rough cosmetics, it appears to be in good mechanical shape.

$350 OBO

Not being an actual machinist and all, I have to ask this question:
Did BP make a Left Angle Head, too?

No..but the Red Chinese do.

No no, theirs is a wong angle head.

Ouch, this thread is really deteriorationg.

------
We're born hungry, wet, 'n naked, and it gets worse from there.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 03:36:53 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

Actually..Ive never seen a support (tailstock) with one of these..and
Ive seen a bunch in the shops I service. Most have much shorter arbors
however

One example is he-

http://www.lathes.co.uk/bridgeport/page6.html

Regards
Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 19:03:12 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

[ ... ]

Is there a column mounted arbour support bracket to go with it?

Nope...just whats in the picture.

Phew.

Got a shaper ..I could make one up.

Might cost more than the head though....

And Id need to study a Bridgeport . I dont have one close by.

Actually..Ive never seen a support (tailstock) with one of these..and
Ive seen a bunch in the shops I service. Most have much shorter arbors
however

The support essentially has a female dovetail to match the male
dovetail on the bottom of the ram (round ram Bridgeports need not
apply). One side of the dovetail is a separate piece which clamps down
with a bolt for rigidity.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Actually..Ive never seen a support (tailstock) with one of these..and
Ive seen a bunch in the shops I service. Most have much shorter arbors
however

One example is he-

http://www.lathes.co.uk/bridgeport/page6.html

Regards
Mark Rand
RTFM

About what Id thought it would look like. Be easy enough to make one.

So one assumes that a round ram user wouldnt want this?

Gunner

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary
that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even
alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every
quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Actually..Ive never seen a support (tailstock) with one of these..and
Ive seen a bunch in the shops I service. Most have much shorter arbors
however

One example is he-

http://www.lathes.co.uk/bridgeport/page6.html

Regards
Mark Rand
RTFM

About what Id thought it would look like. Be easy enough to make one.

So one assumes that a round ram user wouldnt want this?

Actually, the one I thought I remembered clamped on to the column dovetails,
not the ram dovetails. That would have made it far more useful.

There seem to have been quite a lot of variations.

Mark Rand
RTFM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I saw the rear support and even lost a bid on one.

I am a man of principles, of which the most important one is that I
never pay a fair price for anything. So I lost.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

Don't be obtuse, BP never made a Acute Angle Head either!

ROFLMAO!! Well done Sir..veddywelldone indeed!

And you are both wrong.

I remember some weird attachment you could set to any angle.

A bit of googlefu and http://www.lathes.co.uk/bridgeport/page5.html

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
Gunner Asch wrote:

Don't be obtuse, BP never made a Acute Angle Head either!

ROFLMAO!! Well done Sir..veddywelldone indeed!

And you are both wrong.

I remember some weird attachment you could set to any angle.

A bit of googlefu and http://www.lathes.co.uk/bridgeport/page5.html

Wes

Quillmasters were not uncommon. Before CNC, you could find them in many mold
shops, along with cherrying heads and other odds and ends to help you
machine difficult cavities.

--
Ed Huntress (a pre-CNC antique)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 19:02:04 -0400, Wes wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Don't be obtuse, BP never made a Acute Angle Head either!

ROFLMAO!! Well done Sir..veddywelldone indeed!

And you are both wrong.

I remember some weird attachment you could set to any angle.

A bit of googlefu and http://www.lathes.co.uk/bridgeport/page5.html

Wes

OOOOO!!!!! Ive never seen one of THOSE before! Neet!

I noticed that my right angle head....

"Above: No. 3 right-angle attachment for the Model J Head. This
heavy-duty 4 to 3 reduction unit was very well made with hardened and
lapped spiral-bevel gears and the hollow spindle, designed to accept
standard R-8 tooling, running in pre-loaded ball bearings. The
attachment is shown in combination with the Auxiliary Arbor Support, a
device that greatly improved its performance when used for horizontal
milling. The collet capacity range was 1/8" to 3/4"."

so evidently the Auxiliary Arbor Support was purchased seperately.

Gunner

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary
that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even
alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every
quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I got one of the those Quill Masters, a 90-degree head, and a horizontal
milling adaptor (another 90-degree head with an arbor and a support) all in
lieu of back rent from a tenant.
They were literally like "brand new", in the original boxes with the
styrofoam cut-outs and the manuals, but I don't think they were worth enough
to cover the rent.
I don't have a Bridgeport so I
loaned them all to one of my buddies... and will probably never see any of
them again.

Gunner Asch wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 13:45:16 -0500, "David Courtney"
wrote:

I got one of the those Quill Masters, a 90-degree head, and a horizontal
milling adaptor (another 90-degree head with an arbor and a support) all in
lieu of back rent from a tenant.
They were literally like "brand new", in the original boxes with the
styrofoam cut-outs and the manuals, but I don't think they were worth enough
to cover the rent.
I don't have a Bridgeport so I
loaned them all to one of my buddies... and will probably never see any of
them again.

To the right people..they are worth close to $2000

.. .

Gunner Asch wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news
wrote:

I got one of the those Quill Masters, a 90-degree head, and a
horizontal
milling adaptor (another 90-degree head with an arbor and a support) all
in
lieu of back rent from a tenant.
They were literally like "brand new", in the original boxes with the
styrofoam cut-outs and the manuals, but I don't think they were worth
enough
to cover the rent.
I don't have a Bridgeport so I
loaned them all to one of my buddies... and will probably never see any of
them again.

To the right people..they are worth close to $2000

Yeah, I agreed to apply $600 (one month) to his back rent, mainly
because I had no use for them and he was too lazy to sell them for more so
that he could pay me... unfortunately he owed many times that, and several
times the $2000 value of the stuff.
He was kind enough to leave about 25 gallons of waste oil, 40 gallons of
used anti-freeze, a dozen junk tires on rims, about 10 leaking car
batteries, and 9 or 10 pick-up truck loads of garbage in the building when
he left though. ;-(

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

ouch!!!

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the
means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not
making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of
it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different
countries, that the more public provisions were made for the
poor the less they provided for themselves, and of course became
poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the
more they did for themselves, and became richer." -- Benjamin
Franklin, /The Encouragement of Idleness/, 1766