Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default re thinking garage/ceiling in shop

I am re thinking the osb and debating on attempting to install drywall
myself even though I have never worked with it. My question is, I put
a drain in my floor so I could pressure wash my floor and maybe
occassionally wash a car inside the building. Would painted drywall be
ok in this situaltion or if it ever gets wet from one of these
activities will it ruin it?

I ordered a book on drywall and am going to go through it before I
make a decision but I appreciate any advice.

One thought, would a suspended ceiling work good in a garage?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--Step #1: make sure that drywall was made in the US of A...

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Imagine what I could do if
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : I knew what I was doing...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message
I am re thinking the osb and debating on attempting to install drywall
myself even though I have never worked with it. My question is, I put
a drain in my floor so I could pressure wash my floor and maybe
occassionally wash a car inside the building. Would painted drywall be
ok in this situaltion or if it ever gets wet from one of these
activities will it ruin it?

I ordered a book on drywall and am going to go through it before I
make a decision but I appreciate any advice.

One thought, would a suspended ceiling work good in a garage?

I've seen painted drywall used as an exterior porch ceiling where it held up
for many years. Washing the floor/car occasionally would not be a problem.
Since you've never worked with drywall, renting a manual drywall lift will
make the job a lot easier. Use a screwgun and mark the joist locations. Add
framing perpendicular to the trusses to reduce the span.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

They used to make plastic covered - wood grained - like panels - for shops.
I had it in our first house - back in the early 70's.
Might be a fad. It was nice - no tape and bed - finished sides. No paint no mess...
Could hang plastic wall paper on the drywall - water proof the board a bit from
spray...

Martin

ATP* wrote:
"stryped" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 18, 2:40*am, stryped wrote:
I am re thinking the osb and debating on attempting to install drywall
myself even though I have never worked with it. My question is, I put
a drain in my floor so I could pressure wash my floor and maybe
occassionally wash a car inside the building. Would painted drywall be
ok in this situaltion or if it ever gets wet from one of these
activities will it ruin it?

I ordered a book on drywall and am going to go through it before I
make a decision but I appreciate any advice.

One thought, would a suspended ceiling work good in a garage?

If you're really worried use waterproof drywall. Usualy called green
board or blue board depending on where you live it's for bathrooms.
Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On Oct 18, 2:40 am, stryped wrote:
I am re thinking the osb and debating on attempting to install drywall
myself even though I have never worked with it. My question is, I put
a drain in my floor so I could pressure wash my floor and maybe
occassionally wash a car inside the building. Would painted drywall be
ok in this situaltion or if it ever gets wet from one of these
activities will it ruin it?

I ordered a book on drywall and am going to go through it before I
make a decision but I appreciate any advice.

One thought, would a suspended ceiling work good in a garage?

If you're really worried use waterproof drywall. Usualy called green
board or blue board depending on where you live it's for bathrooms.
Karl
--

green board is not waterproof.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 19, 12:22*pm, wrote:
On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 05:40:10 -0700 (PDT), stryped
wrote:

I am re thinking the osb and debating on attempting to install drywall
myself even though I have never worked with it. My question is, I put
a drain in my floor so I could pressure wash my floor and maybe
occassionally wash a car inside the building. Would painted drywall be
ok in this situaltion or if it ever gets wet from one of these
activities will it ruin it?

I ordered a book on drywall and am going to go through it before I
make a decision but I appreciate any advice.

One thought, would a suspended ceiling work good in a garage?

This is like putting water on your newspaper before you read it. *
Don't use water on drywall or newspapers - the result will be a f&&&ing
mess.

Than what should I use?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I am re thinking the osb and debating on attempting to install drywall
myself even though I have never worked with it. My question is, I put
a drain in my floor so I could pressure wash my floor and maybe
occassionally wash a car inside the building. Would painted drywall be
ok in this situaltion or if it ever gets wet from one of these
activities will it ruin it?
I ordered a book on drywall and am going to go through it before I
make a decision but I appreciate any advice.
One thought, would a suspended ceiling work good in a garage?

This is like putting water on your newspaper before you read it.
Don't use water on drywall or newspapers - the result will be a f&&&ing
mess.

Than what should I use?

Teach your dog not to **** in the garage?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I am re thinking the osb and debating on attempting to install drywall
myself even though I have never worked with it. My question is, I put
a drain in my floor so I could pressure wash my floor and maybe
occassionally wash a car inside the building. Would painted drywall be
ok in this situaltion or if it ever gets wet from one of these
activities will it ruin it?

snip

You could just put up the drywall and then cover it with the
cheapest steel siding you can find. It would be painted,
water and fire resistant in one fell swoop...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com fired this volley in
. 3.70:

Use several coats of gloss enamel on any kind of drywall you want.

BTW... this assumes a proper tape-and-joint finish. You can't get away
with this with open joints.

LS
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 14:56:38 -0400, the infamous Leon Fisk
scrawled the following:

wrote:

I am re thinking the osb and debating on attempting to install drywall
myself even though I have never worked with it. My question is, I put
a drain in my floor so I could pressure wash my floor and maybe
occassionally wash a car inside the building. Would painted drywall be
ok in this situaltion or if it ever gets wet from one of these
activities will it ruin it?

snip

You could just put up the drywall and then cover it with the
cheapest steel siding you can find. It would be painted,
water and fire resistant in one fell swoop...

I that case, use OSB. It's much more water resistant, you can hang
stuff directly from it without a stud behind it, etc.

--
The blind are not good trailblazers.

-- federal judge Frank Easterbrook
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 10:43:04 -0700, "charlie"
wrote:
wrote in message
On Oct 18, 2:40 am, stryped wrote:

I am re thinking the osb and debating on attempting to install drywall
myself even though I have never worked with it. My question is, I put
a drain in my floor so I could pressure wash my floor and maybe
occassionally wash a car inside the building. Would painted drywall be
ok in this situaltion or if it ever gets wet from one of these
activities will it ruin it?

I ordered a book on drywall and am going to go through it before I
make a decision but I appreciate any advice.

One thought, would a suspended ceiling work good in a garage?

Yes, if you have a reason to spend to put one up... You can NOT plan
on getting up through it often for attic access, since the tiles will
fall apart. But if you have a 9' plus ceiling it makes lighting a lot
easier. You can go get 2X4 drop-in troffers and just drop them in and
wire them up - and if you move the machines you can move the lights.

The acoustic tiles are fire resistant and do cut down on noise, but
they get dirty easy.

The vinyl-faced 1/2" x 2'x4' Drywall panels they use for restaurant
kitchen ceilings are fireproof, but heavy - you better have the grid
braced and supported properly.

If you're really worried use waterproof drywall. Usualy called green
board or blue board depending on where you live it's for bathrooms.

green board is not waterproof.

Greenboard is water resistant - it will hold up longer than regular.

If you want true water resistance without putting up ceramic tile you
install greenboard, then a layer of the textured Fiberglass Paneling
on top - the stuff they use for restroom and restaurant walls. And
get the extruded edge moldings to finish the joints and corners. If
all the edges and corners are properly caulked, that will stand up to
frequent scrub-downs and the occasional pressure washing.

-- Bruce --

PS: Charlie, don't put a SigLine Cut (dash dash space return) before
your text. It breaks real newsreaders.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped wrote:
Would painted drywall be
ok in this situaltion or if it ever gets wet from one of these
activities will it ruin it?

ruin is relative, but "welcome to mess and mold world". or, in a
best-case scenario, 'water stains world'. my vote would be for either
'tile backerboard' or cementitious sp? siding (do they make that stuff
yet in 4 x 8 sheets?). you know, like hardieboard?

I ordered a book on drywall and am going to go through it before I
make a decision but I appreciate any advice.

One thought, would a suspended ceiling work good in a garage?

it would, *if* you 'enjoy' going through another layer of complexity
when hanging (lofts, screweyes, chain hoists, ladders, bikes, sleds, and
other garage things) from your ceiling.

wash your car in the driveway (far simpler) AND use drywall. personally,
I'd measure where all the studs are, then chalk-line them ALL after the
drywall is up. makes hanging things later much simpler...

good luck :-)

YMMV :-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 18, 7:40*am, stryped wrote:
I am re thinking the osb and debating on attempting to install drywall
myself even though I have never worked with it. My question is, I put
a drain in my floor so I could pressure wash my floor and maybe
occassionally wash a car inside the building. Would painted drywall be
ok in this situaltion or if it ever gets wet from one of these
activities will it ruin it?

I ordered a book on drywall and am going to go through it before I
make a decision but I appreciate any advice.

One thought, would a suspended ceiling work good in a garage?

lots of good answers personally would use the fiberglass sheets over
the cement board myself also as far as the suspended ceiling there is
a fiberglass rail system for that also ran across it years ago while
building a commercial freezer for a previous employeer if you use it
though save yourself some money and buy whole sheets of the panel
material and cut the tilers to size yourself

thoughts on painting shop walls and ceiling todd Woodworking 14 October 18th 07 11:17 PM
Ceiling in garage too low for installling garage door opener [email protected] Home Ownership 6 November 26th 06 03:46 PM
Shop wall & ceiling material ? Steve DeMars Woodworking 9 February 12th 06 07:52 AM
Shop Ceiling ? Iowa883 Home Repair 3 January 5th 05 07:40 AM
Garage ceiling - what to use? Richard Sterry UK diy 46 April 18th 04 01:42 PM