Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Awright, admit it .................

How many are hopeless scroungers who will stop on garbage day and grab
something someone's put to the curb?

I do it. Got a VERY NICE pair of graphite fishing rods that cost about $125
each one day. Mama musta been ****ed at Papa, or the old boyfriend moved
out. Coupla damn fine poles.

I could go on for about 3,000 words, and my wife sinks into her seat when I
do it, but she doesn't mind when I use the item around the house, or if it
saved a few bucks.

.............. errrrrrr, that is if I EVER get around to using said item

I actually love to go cruising on trash day, go to local dump spots, and
watch commercial and manufacturing dumpsters.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 5 Oct 2009 13:11:59 -0600, "SteveB"
wrote:

How many are hopeless scroungers who will stop on garbage day and grab
something someone's put to the curb?

I do it. Got a VERY NICE pair of graphite fishing rods that cost about $125
each one day. Mama musta been ****ed at Papa, or the old boyfriend moved
out. Coupla damn fine poles.

I could go on for about 3,000 words, and my wife sinks into her seat when I
do it, but she doesn't mind when I use the item around the house, or if it
saved a few bucks.

............. errrrrrr, that is if I EVER get around to using said item

I actually love to go cruising on trash day, go to local dump spots, and
watch commercial and manufacturing dumpsters.

Steve

People cruise our neighborhood on heavy trash day to that purpose.
When I'm not using something and think somebody else can benefit, I
just set it out there, and it's usually gone in 30 minutes. On
computers, I wipe the hard drive, install Ubuntu, and put a note on it
stating what I've done and the username/password.

Right now, we're getting ready to move, so the pace is a little too
quick. I hauled several huge loads to goodwill, gave a bedroom suite
to a couple I know, some other stuff to a former coworker, another
bedroom suite to Habitat, and now I'm down to chucking it in the
dumpster. The city provides one free for four days, emptying each
day. We should be about ready for the smaller house in Texas. Move
is in three weeks.

I'll try to remember to take pics of the mill and lathe coming out of
the basement, but don't count on it.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Nothing wrong with that.

Just last week I grabbed three steel shelves that my neighbor put out
for trach, and sold them next day for $45. Those were crappy, light
duty shelves.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

How many are hopeless scroungers who will stop on garbage day and grab
something someone's put to the curb?

I do it. Got a VERY NICE pair of graphite fishing rods that cost about $125
each one day. Mama musta been ****ed at Papa, or the old boyfriend moved
out. Coupla damn fine poles.

I could go on for about 3,000 words, and my wife sinks into her seat when I
do it, but she doesn't mind when I use the item around the house, or if it
saved a few bucks.

............. errrrrrr, that is if I EVER get around to using said item

I actually love to go cruising on trash day, go to local dump spots, and
watch commercial and manufacturing dumpsters.

Steve

Some of my fondest memories are from trips my grandfather took us to
the dump. To get stuff. Cool stuff. Then we'd fix the stuff or make
other stuff out of it. He built me a go-cart out of dump stuff : )
After a suitable load of goodies he'd get out the .22's and we'd shoot
rats. That was back in the 50's & 60's. They don't let you do that
kind of stuff here anymore.

I still have some of that stuff. Wife claims I'm both untrainable and
a hopeless pack rat. She's right too. One of the reasons I married
her.

Boo... a bonafide hopeless scrounger

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:
How many are hopeless scroungers who will stop on garbage day and grab
something someone's put to the curb?

I check out the metals bin at the recycling center
several times a week. Here's the major items
I've gotten over the last few years:

Gas pressure washer - fixed, use
Dynaco Stereo 70 amp - good, sold for $300
12" spool mig wire - gave to friend
Tektronix scope - fixed and sold
Crown 800 watt stereo amp - awaiting test
Rototiller - fixed, used, gave away
lawnmower - fixed, use
Industrial controller - full of good solid state relays
several full to half-full propane bottles
several horizontal shaft B&S engines - fixed and sold

A few years ago I'd see machine shop "drops"
at regular intervals. They dried up after the
big AL price runup.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Not sure if it is still a "live" group or spam-controlled, but alt.dumpster
is a newsgroup dedicated to such activities.

Was VERY active there years ago.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Not sure if it is still a "live" group or spam-controlled, but alt.dumpster
is a newsgroup dedicated to such activities. Quick view there seems to make
me believe it is active and alive!

Was VERY active there years ago.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I JUST finished mounting a 4-drawer plans file (40 x 24 x 18 +-) under
my bench for tools. Got it at the dump. 'Couple of days ago I put an
11 hp B&S engine on my mower. Got it at the dump (OHV, very good shape).

I could go on and on and on. My biggest problem is storing the stuff I
scrounge.

Dump is open Tues, Thurs, & Sat. I go every day & 3 or 4 times on Sat
G. Me & the dump are a legend among family & friends.

Scrounging is in my nature,
Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I wander the alleys all the time.

Last month I saw a guitar case keeping the lid of a trash can from closing.
"I gotta look inside." I says.

Well the guitar wasn't in it. But it was a Gibson factory hardshell case in
perfect shape. I figured it had to be worth $35 to somebody.
Put it up on ebay and it fetches $193. Go figure. It wasn't old and you can
buy em new for $160.

Paul K. Dickman

"SteveB" wrote in message
How many are hopeless scroungers who will stop on garbage day and grab
something someone's put to the curb?

I do it. Got a VERY NICE pair of graphite fishing rods that cost about
$125 each one day. Mama musta been ****ed at Papa, or the old boyfriend
moved out. Coupla damn fine poles.

I could go on for about 3,000 words, and my wife sinks into her seat when
I do it, but she doesn't mind when I use the item around the house, or if
it saved a few bucks.

............. errrrrrr, that is if I EVER get around to using said item

I actually love to go cruising on trash day, go to local dump spots, and
watch commercial and manufacturing dumpsters.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-10-05, Jim Stewart wrote:
SteveB wrote:
How many are hopeless scroungers who will stop on garbage day and grab
something someone's put to the curb?

I check out the metals bin at the recycling center
several times a week. Here's the major items
I've gotten over the last few years:

I always dive into the Fermilab dumpster whenever I visit (with
permission). I wish I had something closer to home.

Gas pressure washer - fixed, use
Dynaco Stereo 70 amp - good, sold for $300
12" spool mig wire - gave to friend
Tektronix scope - fixed and sold
Crown 800 watt stereo amp - awaiting test
Rototiller - fixed, used, gave away
lawnmower - fixed, use
Industrial controller - full of good solid state relays
several full to half-full propane bottles
several horizontal shaft B&S engines - fixed and sold

A few years ago I'd see machine shop "drops"
at regular intervals. They dried up after the
big AL price runup.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

How many are hopeless scroungers who will stop on garbage day and grab
something someone's put to the curb?

snip

Don't get too carried away with it, can prove to be fatal.
See:

http://www.nypress.com/article-293-t...of-harlem.html

excerpt:

"...By April 3, according to the Herald Tribune, the
searchers had removed 51 tons of waste. They had only
reached two rooms on the first floor. By April 8, 19 days
after the search began, The Sun reported 103 tons of debris
removed. Then they found Langley's body.

He had been buried alive in one of his booby traps while
crawling to bring Homer food. He had been only eight feet
from his brother. He was wearing burlap draped over his
shoulders as a cape, and police speculated this had snagged
on a wire and tripped the booby trap. Langley wore no
underwear or socks. He had on a bathrobe, three jackets and
four pairs of trousers. Around his neck as a scarf was a
white onion sack fastened with a safety pin. He lay on his
right side and the rats had been at him. Both The Sun of
April 8 and the World-Telegram of April 9 stated a
preliminary examination indicated Langley had died quite
some time before his brother. Apparently, Homer had died
utterly, horribly alone..."

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b