Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Help with GFCI

Got everything wired up inside the building. Next is runnign service
wire fromt he sub panel to my house. Anyway, all outlets on the wall
are on one 20 amp circuit. The first on near the panel starts the
circuit and is a GFCI. The rest are ran off and protected by that
GFCI.

Ceiling outlets are wired to a switch. Two circuits come from the
panel to the switch. These are on a regular 20 amp breaker. They will
be replaced with a GFCI breaker.

ANyway, I wanted to make sure everythign workied so I wired some
leftover 10-3 wire to my panel. On the other end I wired a plug. I
pluged this into an extension cord to my house GFCI outlet. (About 40
feet away.).

Ceilign outlets and lights work great! Switch works.

However I cant get the wall outlets to work. On my GFCI the outlet
green led light stays lit properly, but no tools work when pluged into
the outlet, also I cant get voltage on any of the outlets when I check
with a voltmeter. Does the green light indicate it is getting power
and everything is connected correctly? I only had a minute this
mornign to work with it but It does not look like the GFCI is tripped
but I cant be 100% sure until I get home.

If there is somethign tripping the GFCI is there a good way of
checkign without having to undo all the electrical outlets?

I appreciate any help!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped wrote:

However I cant get the wall outlets to work. On my GFCI the outlet
green led light stays lit properly, but no tools work when pluged into
the outlet, also I cant get voltage on any of the outlets when I check
with a voltmeter. Does the green light indicate it is getting power
and everything is connected correctly? I only had a minute this
mornign to work with it but It does not look like the GFCI is tripped
but I cant be 100% sure until I get home.

Are you sure that power is coming into the GFCI
on the "Line" terminal and going out on the "Load"
terminal?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 05:31:49 -0700 (PDT), stryped
wrote:

[...]

Some of those new receptacles the green light is reversed - lighted
indicates Tripped, and light out is OK. Try resetting it, and see
what happens.

If all else fails, RTFM - "Read The Friendly Manual" - there is an
instruction sheet that came in the GFCI box, and they have a
Troubleshooting section.

On the new "Smartlock Plus" GFCI receptacles they do a Self Test on
power-up and will not set if there is a wiring error - polarity
reversed, Line/Load reversed, improper ground, etc. When you press
the reset button you'll hear a double click as it sets, sees the
fault, and trips back open again a tenth of a second later.

Check your temporary power hookup, if there is no ground that could
easily do it.

Ceiling receptacles meant for the door opener or the overhead lights
do NOT need to be GFCI protected, you'll just be fighting false trips
if you ever get a marginal light fixture.

If you put a refrigerator out in the shop, put it on a dedicated
Non-GFCI outlet from the garage door opener feed, or straight from the
panel. You don't want that tripping off and killing the fridge with
food in it, especially when you aren't out there every day.

-- Bruce --

GFCI outlets required with a GFCI Breaker? [email protected] Home Repair 17 August 3rd 08 07:06 PM
Why not GFCI everywhere? [email protected] Home Repair 21 March 15th 07 05:56 PM
GFCI Andrew Chalk Home Ownership 38 June 25th 05 03:50 AM
GFCI Andrew Chalk Home Repair 38 June 25th 05 03:50 AM
GFCI outlets vs. GFCI breakers? Alan Beagley Home Repair 10 October 30th 03 05:44 PM