Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Numismatic Question for you Limeys

Wow! late Saturday afternoon and NO answers yet. What do you guys do
when such a weighty question stares you in the face?

A little help: 4 quarters = 1 cwt (hundredweight = 112 lbs)
20 cwt = 1 ton (112 x 20 = 2240 lbs = 1 ton)
and then:
4 farthings = 1 penny
12 pence = 1 shilling (and for interest, 2 shillings = 1
florin, 2 shillings and sixpence = a half-crown,
5 shillings = 1 crown)
20 shillings = 1 pound ( and let us not forget the
illustrious 1 guinea = 1 pound and 1 shilling)

it surprises me not at all that you guys below the 49th. said "the hell
with it" and split. The tea tax was just an excuse I think.
regards, Mike in BC

I used to love those old arithmetic questions like:

If a quarter cwt of coal costs one pound 3 shillings and 4 pence three
farthings, what would be the cost of 5 tons 13 cwt and 3 quarters?
regards, Mike in BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Let the Record show that michael gray on or about
Fri, 18 Sep 2009 23:33:28 GMT did write/type or cause to appear in
rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
Wow! late Saturday afternoon and NO answers yet. What do you guys do
when such a weighty question stares you in the face?

A little help: 4 quarters = 1 cwt (hundredweight = 112 lbs)
20 cwt = 1 ton (112 x 20 = 2240 lbs = 1 ton)

Ah, but you are assuming this "cost of 5 tons 13 cwt" refers to
the long ton.

and then:
4 farthings = 1 penny
12 pence = 1 shilling (and for interest, 2 shillings = 1
florin, 2 shillings and sixpence = a half-crown,
5 shillings = 1 crown)
20 shillings = 1 pound ( and let us not forget the
illustrious 1 guinea = 1 pound and 1 shilling)

it surprises me not at all that you guys below the 49th. said "the hell
with it" and split. The tea tax was just an excuse I think.
regards, Mike in BC

I used to love those old arithmetic questions like:

If a quarter cwt of coal costs one pound 3 shillings and 4 pence three
farthings, what would be the cost of 5 tons 13 cwt and 3 quarters?
regards, Mike in BC

-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pyotr, as I'm from Ashington, north of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, in
Northumberland, England, I'm not assuming anything - I'm stating.
I remember as a lad seeing the coalman come around with his horse-drawn
cart and humping hundredweight sacks of coal to the coalshed in our
backyard; and later, when it was tipped out of a lorry, shovelling it in,
a ton at a time, for a shilling. My main source of revenue!
Mike - bringing coals to Newcastle.

On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 12:48:53 -0700, pyotr filipivich wrote:
[...]

We will drink no whiskey before its nine. It's eight fifty eight. Close
enough!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 23:33:28 GMT, michael gray wrote:

Wow! late Saturday afternoon and NO answers yet. What do you guys do
when such a weighty question stares you in the face?

A little help: 4 quarters = 1 cwt (hundredweight = 112 lbs)
20 cwt = 1 ton (112 x 20 = 2240 lbs = 1 ton)
and then:
4 farthings = 1 penny
12 pence = 1 shilling (and for interest, 2 shillings = 1
florin, 2 shillings and sixpence = a half-crown,
5 shillings = 1 crown)
20 shillings = 1 pound ( and let us not forget the
illustrious 1 guinea = 1 pound and 1 shilling)

it surprises me not at all that you guys below the 49th. said "the hell
with it" and split. The tea tax was just an excuse I think.
regards, Mike in BC

Sorry, I didn't realise you were looking for a written answer. I thought it
was a mental arithmetic question.

Mark Rand (in the UK
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Let the Record show that michael gray on or about
Sun, 20 Sep 2009 17:36:32 GMT did write/type or cause to appear in
rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
Pyotr, as I'm from Ashington, north of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, in
Northumberland, England, I'm not assuming anything - I'm stating.
I remember as a lad seeing the coalman come around with his horse-drawn
cart and humping hundredweight sacks of coal to the coalshed in our
backyard; and later, when it was tipped out of a lorry, shovelling it in,
a ton at a time, for a shilling. My main source of revenue!
Mike - bringing coals to Newcastle.

Ah - you've got experience. I missed out on all that "fun".

I've plowed through some of the conversion for other reasons, and
the fun of "how many gallons to the barrel" and "which weighs more - a
pound of silver or a pound of lead?" and such situations where there
are two (or more) items with the same generic name. I.e. "ton"

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Let the Record show that Mark Rand on or
about Sun, 20 Sep 2009 22:53:45 +0100 did write/type or cause to
[...]

I was doing fine till I realized I'd forgotten most of the log
tables, couldn't find my slipstick.

Dang, I'm forgetting how many grains to a Troy ounce, again.
-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 15:02:15 -0700, pyotr filipivich wrote:
Let the Record show that Mark Rand on or

Sorry, I didn't realise you were looking for a written answer. I thought it
was a mental arithmetic question.

I was doing fine till I realized I'd forgotten most of the log
tables, couldn't find my slipstick.

Dang, I'm forgetting how many grains to a Troy ounce, again.

1 troy ounce = 480 grains
-- http://www.google.com/search?q=how+m...+troy+ounce%3F

Hope This Helps!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Let the Record show that Rich Grise on or
about Thu, 24 Sep 2009 15:20:06 -0700 did write/type or cause to
appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 15:02:15 -0700, pyotr filipivich wrote:
Let the Record show that Mark Rand on or

Sorry, I didn't realise you were looking for a written answer. I thought it
was a mental arithmetic question.

I was doing fine till I realized I'd forgotten most of the log
tables, couldn't find my slipstick.

Dang, I'm forgetting how many grains to a Troy ounce, again.

1 troy ounce = 480 grains
-- http://www.google.com/search?q=how+m...+troy+ounce%3F

Measure for Measure, pg 596

Hope This Helps!
Rich

-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

A farthing is a 1/4 of an old penny. However, there used to be 1/2 and
1/4 farthings. They date back to the 1800's. I've got a 1/2 farthing
in my collection at home but can't remember the details.
Now if you want to talk coins, there's the crown (5 shillings) 1/2
crown and the groat.
We had rods, poles, perches, chains and fathoms. All units of length.
Thank goodness we went metric.
If you really want to baffle folks, just mention Twaddle as a unit.

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 1, 1:21*am, John wrote:
A farthing is a 1/4 of an old penny. However, there used to be 1/2 and
1/4 farthings. They date back to the 1800's. I've got a 1/2 farthing
in my collection at home but can't remember the details.
Now if you want to talk coins, there's the crown (5 shillings) 1/2
crown and the groat.
We had rods, poles, perches, chains and fathoms. All units of length.
Thank goodness we went metric.
If you really want to baffle folks, just mention Twaddle as a unit.

John

And guineas. When I went to college, courses were 5 guineas per year
with labs, 3 without.
Then there's "Mony a mickle maks a muckle".

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Let the Record show that John on or
about Thu, 1 Oct 2009 01:21:34 -0700 (PDT) did write/type or cause to
appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
A farthing is a 1/4 of an old penny. However, there used to be 1/2 and
1/4 farthings. They date back to the 1800's. I've got a 1/2 farthing
in my collection at home but can't remember the details.

Gack a quarter farthing - that's 1/16th of a penny.

OTOH, can you see paying a parking ticket in quarter farthings? Or
your taxes?

Now if you want to talk coins, there's the crown (5 shillings) 1/2
crown and the groat.
We had rods, poles, perches, chains and fathoms. All units of length.
Thank goodness we went metric.
If you really want to baffle folks, just mention Twaddle as a unit.

Or a Pottle. As in "a pottle of milk".
-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Let the Record show that N Morrison on or
about Thu, 1 Oct 2009 08:31:10 -0700 (PDT) did write/type or cause to
On Oct 1, 1:21*am, John wrote:
A farthing is a 1/4 of an old penny. However, there used to be 1/2 and
1/4 farthings. They date back to the 1800's. I've got a 1/2 farthing
in my collection at home but can't remember the details.
Now if you want to talk coins, there's the crown (5 shillings) 1/2
crown and the groat.
We had rods, poles, perches, chains and fathoms. All units of length.
Thank goodness we went metric.
If you really want to baffle folks, just mention Twaddle as a unit.

John

And guineas. When I went to college, courses were 5 guineas per year
with labs, 3 without.
Then there's "Mony a mickle maks a muckle".

So when is new years day? (and what year is it anyway?)

pyotr

-