Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Numismatic Question for you Limeys

Let the Record show that John on or
about Thu, 1 Oct 2009 01:21:34 -0700 (PDT) did write/type or cause to
appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
A farthing is a 1/4 of an old penny. However, there used to be 1/2 and
1/4 farthings. They date back to the 1800's. I've got a 1/2 farthing
in my collection at home but can't remember the details.

Gack a quarter farthing - that's 1/16th of a penny.

OTOH, can you see paying a parking ticket in quarter farthings? Or
your taxes?

Now if you want to talk coins, there's the crown (5 shillings) 1/2
crown and the groat.
We had rods, poles, perches, chains and fathoms. All units of length.
Thank goodness we went metric.
If you really want to baffle folks, just mention Twaddle as a unit.

Or a Pottle. As in "a pottle of milk".
-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!