Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default PING Gunner - 1911 sights

I hate the Novak low profile sights on my SA 1911! The front is serrated,
the rear is non-adjustable and both are flat black. It's hard to see them
unless the lighting is perfect. What's in the bottom of your drawer? Or,
I'll mill a notch in the front and fill it with red plastic and paint a
white frame on the rear. But, it shoots low and left. Good groups now with
a Hogue grip.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 5 Sep 2009 23:54:59 -0400, "Buerste" wrote:

I hate the Novak low profile sights on my SA 1911! The front is serrated,
the rear is non-adjustable and both are flat black. It's hard to see them
unless the lighting is perfect. What's in the bottom of your drawer? Or,
I'll mill a notch in the front and fill it with red plastic and paint a
white frame on the rear. But, it shoots low and left. Good groups now with
a Hogue grip.

1. I far and away prefer Blue..a nice robins egg light blue for inserts.
I can see it day or night. Most of my handguns have light blue inserts.

Kings Gun Works kits are cheap, easy to install and work very well.

You simply mill a single half dovetail in the front sight blade, drill
two holes and fill with whatever color insert epoxy you want. Come back
an hour or so later, trim off the spooge and voila..you have a nice neat
long long lasting insert.

I blew out mine last weekend at my ccw requal. It only went 230,000
rounds of Warm handloads and 20 yrs of being in my hot truck during the
summer..and in the cold truck in the winter.

http://www.kingsgunworks.com/newcatalog/page01.html

http://www.kingsgunworks.com/newcatalog/page07.html

Part # 404. Red, Blue, Orange, yellow and I think Pink

http://www.kingsgunworks.com/newcata...ist1_1099.html

$19.95 for enough to do about 40 guns.

Ill check for a rear sight, maybe I have one, maybe not. Now how low
does it shoot and at what range? You can mill down the front sight a
smidge and try it again, or simply add a taller rear sight. I like
adjustables of course. My daily gun..I machined a slot in the top of the
slide and inserted a Python rear sight, drilled for a cross pin and
voila...nice rear sight that is rugged as hell.

Or...shrug..

http://www.kingsgunworks.com/newcatalog/page02.html

Python rear...
http://www.e-gunparts.com/schemzoom....em=0660zPYTHON

Want some pictures?

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
[...]

Yep, that's the goo that a smith used on my S&W 19, I can thread a needle
with it. At 25' I'm 3" low and 2" left. It will do a 2'5" group. The
pistol will probably do a lot better, I suck...I need practice! I haven't
shot it much because the stock grips hurt like hell on my tender, virgin
flesh. The wrap-around Hogue feels GREAT, it's now a pleasure to shoot, but
it's heavy and I tire quickly.

I could cut down the front sight a bit but how can I easily adjust the
windage? The sights appear to be pinned, SA had some problems with loose
sights so they Loctight and pin.

The Novaks are well made and could be good sights with some of the work you
suggested. Although, an adjustable rear would be nice but I'm willing to
try some mods first.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Buerste" wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

I don't know how experienced a shooter you are, but shots going low &
left is a classic sign of jerking the trigger (for a right handed
shooter). Get (or make) some dummy ammo, and mix them in randomly in the
magazine (load with you eyes closed so you don't know which rounds are
live, or get someone else to load for you). Watch your sights & see if
they move when you "fire" a dummy round. If so, you need to work on your
trigger squeeze. Lots of dry firing will help.

Doug White
NRA Certified Pistol Coach
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 6 Sep 2009 12:40:34 -0400, "Buerste"
wrote:

Yep, that's the goo that a smith used on my S&W 19, I can thread a needle
with it. At 25' I'm 3" low and 2" left. It will do a 2'5" group.

2'5" as in 31 inches? You must thread big honkin' needles! G

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 6 Sep 2009 12:40:34 -0400, "Buerste" wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

This is a 1911, right? That rear sight can normally be drifted right
and left with a hammer and a bit of brass rod. Drift it a smidge to the
right and try it again. Lay the pistol on something heavy, put a couple
rags under it and mark the sight position then tap it a couple thousands
to the right., reshoot, and move as necessary.

Springfield Arms .45? I just checked their website and every model that
has non adjustable rear sights, has rear sights that are mounted in
dovetails You say yours was pinned? Vertcally? The hammer method
should shear that pin (assuming it doesnt go all the way through the top
of the slide and could be pushed out) Id be surprised if they used a
hardened pin.

http://www.intlmidway.com/intl/eprod...eitemid=721189

Is another option. The price is right. Might..might need a taller front
sight. Or maybe not. Best to install and shoot a couple rounds

Now..the question is...does this pistol shoot out of alignment for
everyone or just for you? Shoot it a few rounds off of sandbags. Arms
fully extended across the table, with your wrists on a sandbag. Fill old
jeans pants legs with silica sand and sew em up. Make up 3 as thats the
normal number you need.

Make sure your trigger finger is at the first joint..not the tip. If you
are right handed..using the tip will shoot to the left, too much finger
will cause you to shoot to the right..

Ill also ask you have you tried various brands of ammo? A faster round
will shoot lower, a slower round will shoot higher, due to the time the
round spends in the barrel. Fact. Shrug.

Now the next question..are you using center hold, or 6 oclock hold? You
may wish to change to center hold. if you are shooting low. Shrug.

If all else fails..mill off .005 from the top of your front sight and
retry. You can also CAREFULY mill a bit off of one side of the front
sight to bring the point of aim into line..but pushing the rear sight
right and left is the proper way to do this

But seriously...sand bag the pistol, and try various brands/types of
ammo . You may find one that shoots to point of aim. Then stick with it.

Or replace all the sights with Novaks...MMCs etc etc. You will need to
buy or make a new tool to install the front sight however.

Call me if you have any questions.

Gunner

"Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with
minimum food or water,in austere conditions, day and night. The only thing
clean on him is his weapon. He doesn't worry about what workout to do---
his rucksack weighs what it weighs, and he runs until the enemy stops chasing him.
The True Believer doesn't care 'how hard it is'; he knows he either wins or he dies.
He doesn't go home at 1700; he is home. He knows only the 'Cause.' Now, who wants to quit?"

NCOIC of the Special Forces Assessment and Selection Course in a welcome speech to new SF candidates
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 06 Sep 2009 18:17:56 GMT, Doug White
wrote:

"Buerste" wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

Excellent point! One Id not considered, thinking he was a more
experienced shooter. Good post!

Gunner

"Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with
minimum food or water,in austere conditions, day and night. The only thing
clean on him is his weapon. He doesn't worry about what workout to do---
his rucksack weighs what it weighs, and he runs until the enemy stops chasing him.
The True Believer doesn't care 'how hard it is'; he knows he either wins or he dies.
He doesn't go home at 1700; he is home. He knows only the 'Cause.' Now, who wants to quit?"

NCOIC of the Special Forces Assessment and Selection Course in a welcome speech to new SF candidates
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Sun, 6 Sep 2009 12:40:34 -0400, "Buerste" wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I'll try the sand bagging, have somebody else shoot it, and try different
ammo. Here's a link to a picture of the pistol. It's a Springfield 1911
Stainless Steel Loaded. I bought it a few years ago from a guy outside a
gun show. He said he ran one magazine through it and that was obviously
true. You may remember when I was looking for a .45 and we wrote back and
forth.
http://www.impactguns.com/store/706397872212.html

I don't think I'm flinching. I think the recoil is very mild. I've only
run two boxes through it since I bought it. After the first box, I hated
the grips, the checkering was too sharp and uncomfortable and I shot all
over the target. I only recently bought a Hogue wrap-around grip, it's
PERFECT! The second box, a couple of years later, tightened the group to
2.5" the was low and left, using center hold. I doubt it's me, I blame the
sights.

I shoot my 19 for fun, I don't have to police brass and I look like an
expert with it.

The Novak flat black Lo-Mount sights are factory. Springfield mills the
slide. There are a number of Novak sights that use the same dovetail but
they are expensive.

This one looks good too, I just resent another $60! WHEN DOES IT END???
(don't answer, I know)
http://www.intlmidway.com/intl/eprod...eitemid=185714

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Yep, that's the goo that a smith used on my S&W 19, I can thread a needle
with it. At 25' I'm 3" low and 2" left. It will do a 2'5" group.

2'5" as in 31 inches? You must thread big honkin' needles! G

Don't get smart with me!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Doug White" wrote in message
. ..
"Buerste" wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

The trigger is like a thin glass rod breaking, I'm very happy with it, it's
a surprise when it trips. The recoil is very mild and I don't even notice
it, I doubt there is a subconscious anticipation. My trigger technique is
OK, I've shot for 35+ years. But you're right about drills and practice.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 7 Sep 2009 05:18:14 -0400, "Buerste" wrote:

"Doug White" wrote in message
"Buerste" wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

Ok...then its time to try various loadings, or change the sights. Ive
seen several Springfields that were "off". Ive got a P9C that I had to
replace the rear sight with a higher one. Import version of the CZ75
Compact.

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/di...temnum=9272554

(Similar)

It shot about 6" low at 25 yrds, with just about any load I stuck in it.

Works a treat now.

Gunner

"Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with
minimum food or water,in austere conditions, day and night. The only thing
clean on him is his weapon. He doesn't worry about what workout to do---
his rucksack weighs what it weighs, and he runs until the enemy stops chasing him.
The True Believer doesn't care 'how hard it is'; he knows he either wins or he dies.
He doesn't go home at 1700; he is home. He knows only the 'Cause.' Now, who wants to quit?"

NCOIC of the Special Forces Assessment and Selection Course in a welcome speech to new SF candidates
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 7 Sep 2009 05:10:25 -0400, "Buerste" wrote:

[...]

Ooooh...very very nice!!!
I vagely remember talking to you about it. That stroke wiped away a lot
of stuff, thats slowly coming back. Shrug

[...]

Ok. Check a few difffernt types of ammo, from sand bags. If they all
shoot low..mill off .005 from the top of the front sight, and then shoot
from bags again. You might have to take off 10-15thousands. You never
did mention if you are using a center hold, or a 6 o'clock hold. I tend
to set my weapons up for Center hold..shrug...so if someone is firing at
6'oclock..they shoot low.

To my way of thinking..that front sight/rear sight sits on the spot the
bullet goes..so I dont do a hell of a lot of 6 o'clock shooting

Since the front sight is dovetailed..you can move it to the Left to get
your target centered.

Gunner

"Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with
minimum food or water,in austere conditions, day and night. The only thing
clean on him is his weapon. He doesn't worry about what workout to do---
his rucksack weighs what it weighs, and he runs until the enemy stops chasing him.
The True Believer doesn't care 'how hard it is'; he knows he either wins or he dies.
He doesn't go home at 1700; he is home. He knows only the 'Cause.' Now, who wants to quit?"

NCOIC of the Special Forces Assessment and Selection Course in a welcome speech to new SF candidates
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Buerste wrote:
[...]

I was looking at that for my SA GI. I'd like to see what it looks like
mounted. Also wonder if it's the right height for the stock front sight.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 08 Sep 2009 11:35:23 -0500, RBnDFW wrote:

of the slide and could be pushed out) Id be surprised if they used a
hardened pin.

http://www.intlmidway.com/intl/eprod...eitemid=721189

Is another option. The price is right. Might..might need a taller front
sight. Or maybe not. Best to install and shoot a couple rounds

This shows them on sale for $43

Ping Gunner !!! Don Young Metalworking 0 March 12th 09 02:05 AM
Ping Gunner! Todd Rich Metalworking 0 August 13th 08 09:26 PM
Ping Gunner Jeff Wisnia Metalworking 4 May 13th 08 06:02 PM
Ping: Gunner Jim Chandler Metalworking 0 November 2nd 07 11:56 PM
OT - Ping Gunner Cliff Metalworking 0 May 16th 06 12:33 AM