Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Buerste Buerste is offline

Default PING Gunner - 1911 sights

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Sat, 5 Sep 2009 23:54:59 -0400, "Buerste" wrote:

I hate the Novak low profile sights on my SA 1911! The front is serrated,
the rear is non-adjustable and both are flat black. It's hard to see them
unless the lighting is perfect. What's in the bottom of your drawer? Or,
I'll mill a notch in the front and fill it with red plastic and paint a
white frame on the rear. But, it shoots low and left. Good groups now
with
a Hogue grip.

1. I far and away prefer Blue..a nice robins egg light blue for inserts.
I can see it day or night. Most of my handguns have light blue inserts.

Kings Gun Works kits are cheap, easy to install and work very well.

You simply mill a single half dovetail in the front sight blade, drill
two holes and fill with whatever color insert epoxy you want. Come back
an hour or so later, trim off the spooge and voila..you have a nice neat
long long lasting insert.

I blew out mine last weekend at my ccw requal. It only went 230,000
rounds of Warm handloads and 20 yrs of being in my hot truck during the
summer..and in the cold truck in the winter.

http://www.kingsgunworks.com/newcatalog/page01.html

http://www.kingsgunworks.com/newcatalog/page07.html

Part # 404. Red, Blue, Orange, yellow and I think Pink

http://www.kingsgunworks.com/newcata...ist1_1099.html

$19.95 for enough to do about 40 guns.

Ill check for a rear sight, maybe I have one, maybe not. Now how low
does it shoot and at what range? You can mill down the front sight a
smidge and try it again, or simply add a taller rear sight. I like
adjustables of course. My daily gun..I machined a slot in the top of the
slide and inserted a Python rear sight, drilled for a cross pin and
voila...nice rear sight that is rugged as hell.

Or...shrug..

http://www.kingsgunworks.com/newcatalog/page02.html

Python rear...
http://www.e-gunparts.com/schemzoom....em=0660zPYTHON

Want some pictures?

Gunner

Yep, that's the goo that a smith used on my S&W 19, I can thread a needle
with it. At 25' I'm 3" low and 2" left. It will do a 2'5" group. The
pistol will probably do a lot better, I suck...I need practice! I haven't
shot it much because the stock grips hurt like hell on my tender, virgin
flesh. The wrap-around Hogue feels GREAT, it's now a pleasure to shoot, but
it's heavy and I tire quickly.

I could cut down the front sight a bit but how can I easily adjust the
windage? The sights appear to be pinned, SA had some problems with loose
sights so they Loctight and pin.

The Novaks are well made and could be good sights with some of the work you
suggested. Although, an adjustable rear would be nice but I'm willing to
try some mods first.