Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Angle Iron vs Stamped Steel - Garden Tractor Frame

Back in the 80's my Dad had a Wheel Horse 308-8. I thought the entire
frame was Cast Iron, but found out the front axle is Cast Iron and the
frame is welded angle Iron.

The new lawn tractors today typically have 11 gauge Stampled Steel
frames.

Are the old Wheel Horse Angle Iron frames truly stronger?

If either would crack or break, which would hold up better when
welded?

Thanks,
Sam
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 1, 11:49*am, "Go Bucks!" wrote:
Back in the 80's my Dad had a Wheel Horse 308-8. I thought the entire
frame was Cast Iron, but found out the front axle is Cast Iron and the
frame is welded angle Iron.

The new lawn tractors today typically have 11 gauge Stampled Steel
frames.

Are the old Wheel Horse Angle Iron frames truly stronger?

If either would crack or break, which would hold up better when
welded?

Thanks,
Sam

The old Wheel Horse angle iron frames seldom gave trouble, except
sometimes the bracket welded to the end of the frame angles at the
rear would crack if abused.
The equivalent Hp size Cub Cadet of same vintage was probably
stronger, but the larger section frame makes access a little more
difficult. The angle frame was cheap and not very fancy but it worked
fine. Given the engines crank axis perpendicular to the frame, and
the front axle being free to pivot in the center, the frame would not
see much torsional load normal to the long axis, unless driven over
very rough terrain.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

the front axle being free to pivot in the center, the frame would not
see much torsional load normal to the long axis, unless driven over
very rough terrain.

But when the center pivot freezes up, it puts a LOT of torsional stress
on the frame. My cub Cadet did that, 5 of the 6 welds holding the
front cross member to the main frame members were completely fatigue
cracked. Only thing holding the left and right sides together was the
engine mounts. Mine is an early model, no grease fitting on the pivot
pin. It has one now!!