Old September 6th 07, 10:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Garden Tractor Demolition / Cutting up steel - How and how fast can I do it?

I have on old garden tractor that I took appart a couple months ago. I
wonder if there is a way to cut up the deck/frame etc in to 4" strips
for metal fabrication projects. I think it's 12 gauge steel. I have a
jig saw, air body saw, air cut-off saw, HF sawzall / portable bandsaw/
4x6 bandsaw / carbon arc torch / a few metal grinders from 4" to 9"
and a 7 1/4" circular saw with abrasive discs. I've used grinders
before and I think they are awkward, slow and would take forever,
I tried using carbon rod in a welder to melt steel and I though it was
too slow - I have a 140Amp AC/DC welder from Harbor Freight
Would I be ok with a bandsaw or is it too slow for cutting up thin
steel? I haven't used band saw before.
Would circular saw with abrasive disc work ok?

Basically I'm wonder how fast12 gauge metal can be cut (like feet per
minuter or hour) and if it's worthwhile given the cost of consumables.
Any info much appreciated

Thanks

Ross

Old September 6th 07, 10:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I do not think that you would get a good bang for the buck. The
equation might be a little different if you had a plasma cutter.

Take these garden tractor remnants and entrails, put in a open box,
and hope that scrap hunters pick them up. (usually works at my
house).

That will save you a great deal of money that you would spend on worn
out cutting blades, etc.

Use the savings to buy new 12 gauge steel.

Old September 6th 07, 10:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have an old 7 1/2 inch ? ... standard size inch circular saw.

The metal cutting blades are more 'spensive than the cheap concrete cutting
blades, so I generally use the concrete cutting blades. Haven't seen much
difference on wear time.

I use hearing protection, eye protection and beware - lotsa hot sparkie
thingies.

Relatively wide kerf, and it works pretty fast.
Disc life is related to the amount of oomph you put into the cut.

YMMV
Mark (Crude, but effective) Dunning

ups.com...

Old September 6th 07, 10:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I left my old Sears riding mower's sheetmetal frame in a pile back in
the woods and only cut a piece off as necessary. Sometimes the whole
part is about right for some project as-is. It's been out there almost
20 years and most of the paint is still intact.

jw

Old September 6th 07, 11:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks for reply. As a brief background, I've used to make stuff out
of scrap lumber, like shelving, boat cradle/ boat lift / trailer bed /
carts / work tables etc. I want to build some more implements for
boat, trailering, welding etc, but I've run out of lumber and also for
some stuff metal would work a bit better. I've looked at local home
builder box stores/ hardware stores and the cost of metal stock is
insane. I can by readily made tools for less cost per pound. I go to
Homier/Harbor freight and get stuff like parts washers/ hand tracks /
trailers etc for under a dollar a pound and that's with the cost of
design and fabrication, I don't know where to get new metal stock
locally cheap. At Home depot I think they wanted like 5 bucks a foot
for angle iron, I might be off, but I think it's close to that. But
where is a lot of scrap that people don't want, so I though if there
is a quick/efficient way to dismantle stuff - that's a win-win - I get
free metal and people dispose of their junk. Hm, plasma cutter is $400
bucks from Homier, is it worth it? How quick can it cut compared to
abrasive? I can get port-a-torch for $260 from Harbor freight, but I'm
afraid cost of oxygen is gonna kill me, if not acetylene exploding.
Any thoughts? Thanks. Cheers. Ross

Old September 7th 07, 03:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Both the plasma cutter and an oxy-acetylene rig will cut 12 awg just
as fact as you can move the torch. The oxy-acetylene rig takes a
little more operator skill than the plasma cutter. The consumables
are easier to calculate for the oxy-acetylene just look at you gas
card for the tip size and pressure and it will give you the flow
rate. The plasma cutter costs will vary depending on how good you are
at babying the tip and whether you have a dryer on the air line.

starbolin

Old September 7th 07, 04:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You really NEED a plasma torch. (left eye winking)
I debated for several years, then finally got one, then kicked myself for
waiting so long. Speed? Depends on the thickness of the metal, of course. On
12 ga. steel, somewhere around 4" a second; 1/2" maybe 1" a second. It's
just about the fastest way to cut steel, short of shaped charges.
If you live in or near a town large enough to have a Home Depot, it
probably has a scrap metal dealer or 2 or 3. Check them out. Most will allow
a fellow to browse their yard to find that perfect piece of scrap and the
price will be way below paying retail. The steel that one finds at Home
Depot or the local hardware store is really pretty crummy steel, (recycled
nails and soup cans, I think) and way over priced.
Have fun.
42

ups.com...

Old September 7th 07, 10:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 20:32:52 -0000, djenyc wrote:

[...]

100gr det cord. Simply lay out your cord, hold in place with masking
tape and retreat to a safe distance before setting it off.

Gunner
Old September 7th 07, 08:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

djenyc wrote:
[...]

I think the best economy could be gotten by phoning a couple of local
junkyard and telling them you need some flame table or cnc plasma drops
to practice your welding on. When you find a yard that's liable to have
what you want then take a nice load of whatever you've got on hand to
sell to them. They'll typically sell stuff for anywhere from 4x to 10x
the price they pay for it, and don't feel bad if it's closer to the 10x
figure- they gotta make a buck too, and with the investment it takes to
run a junkyard.. well, a guy buying 50 or 100 lbs. of drops isn't really
a big customer, if they'll deal with you at all then you're ahead of the
game.

As far as the suggestion that you buy a plasma cutter.. if you can
afford it, buy a plasma cutter. If you can't afford it don't get all
discouraged- just do what you can imagine with the tools you have and
put a little money back for the plasma cutter, no big deal. As I always
suggest, quality used tools are generally better than new cheap tools.

You've also got to have an adequate air compressor with a plasma cutter,
don't forget that.. and good tools to go with the compressor (name
brand, no Taiwan stuff), etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

John
Old September 7th 07, 10:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The consumables are easier to calculate for the oxy-acetylene just look at you gas card for the tip size and pressure and it will give you the flow rate.

starbolin, that was a good idea. I just looked at port-a-torch manual
online, that 20cf oxygen cylinder it comes with will only last me half-
hour cutting 1/8".

John, 42etus, thanks for heads up on Plasma. I debated with plasma
before and did some more research today. It looks like a good way to
quickly cut 1/4 and under metal plates with good precision, good
finish, low head distortion and low consumables cost. For the amount
of cutting and fabrication I do, to justify the cost of $400 Homier
Speedway 30Amp plasma cutter I'd have to spread it over 10-15 years
time frame, but inverters based welders/cutters are evolving so
rapidly - I think they are following consumer electronics/PC pricing
- performance doubles every few years while unit prices drops
(correct me if I'm wrong). So now I'm thinking, may be I should wait
till HF starts running $99 plasma specials, wishful thinking?
Another downside to plasma - poor portability due to 220V / air. And
the air compress that I got is NOISY. By the way, I found following
specs for plasma cutting speeds: 40 Amp - 17" Per minute @ 3/8" Thick
Steel. 12 Amps - 18ga./60 inch PM 10ga./12 inch PM 1/8 inch/9 inch PM

Mark - what you report on the circular saw is encouraging. So abrasive
disk with circular saw is the way to do it on the cheap. Is it better
then recip saw/sawzall? Do you have an idea how fast it will cut 1/16
metal or 12 gauge metal as far as feet /inches per minute go? I can't
find this information anywhere!

PS. Looks like I'll be returning 4*6 bandsaw to harbor freight for
refund, I haven't unpacked it yet. Just got it last week. Do I get it
right, that it's mainly for production work cutting tubbing/ angle
iron to length and it's slow and will not cut sheet metal due to 3
teeth on the work requirement - at 22TPI that makes 3/16" minimal
thickness. Thanks. Ross