Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Chuck key magnet

For 30+ years I've had my chuck key chained to the drill press at home. Not
because I was punishing it, it would just get easily misplaced. (Larry J.
gets excited when he hears "Chained-Up".) I had a handful of 1/2" x 1/4"
cylinder neodymium magnets from a project so I drilled a hole in the top of
the chuck key and pressed in a magnet. These little guys have a 2 pound
pull and hold the key firmly to the drill press. The chain was a PITA and
would get warped up easily. It's also great for clearing swarf, I wrap it
in paper first.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 30, 1:11*am, "Buerste" wrote:

I use pieces of the unworn edges of old bed sheets held by Radio Shack
magnets to keep chips off the mill ways. One of them is also well
placed to hold the chuck key.

The lower magnets attract chips, of course, so I fold the cloth around
them.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Buerste wrote:
For 30+ years I've had my chuck key chained to the drill press at home. Not
because I was punishing it, it would just get easily misplaced. (Larry J.
gets excited when he hears "Chained-Up".) I had a handful of 1/2" x 1/4"
cylinder neodymium magnets from a project so I drilled a hole in the top of
the chuck key and pressed in a magnet. These little guys have a 2 pound
pull and hold the key firmly to the drill press. The chain was a PITA and
would get warped up easily. It's also great for clearing swarf, I wrap it
in paper first.

Neat idea! I'll have to try that.

I have my chuck key on a shelf right behind the drill press.

CarlBoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Yeah, I remember dickin' around with chuck keys. Not since I put that
nice SPI keyless on my drill press. Never again.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 01:11:50 -0400, the infamous "Buerste"
scrawled the following:

For 30+ years I've had my chuck key chained to the drill press at home. Not
because I was punishing it, it would just get easily misplaced. (Larry J.
gets excited when he hears "Chained-Up".)

Sticks and stones may break my bones,
but whips and chains excite me.

I had a handful of 1/2" x 1/4"
cylinder neodymium magnets from a project so I drilled a hole in the top of
the chuck key and pressed in a magnet. These little guys have a 2 pound
pull and hold the key firmly to the drill press.

I plopped a RE magnet onto the face of my drill press a few years ago
and haven't misplaced a chuck key since. (That's nearly a full dozen
uses!)

The chain was a PITA and
would get warped up easily. It's also great for clearing swarf, I wrap it
in paper first.

"warped up"? Would that be aluminum or brass swarf, Tawm?

--
A striking fact of the last two years of financial trouble is how
accountability has differed in the public and private spheres. On

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Buerste wrote:
For 30+ years I've had my chuck key chained to the drill press at home. Not
because I was punishing it, it would just get easily misplaced.

Yup!

I taped some of those magnets to a shelf near the
mill and store my chuck key, collet wrench, T-nut
clamp wrench and a couple different allen wrenches
thereon.

It is very fast and convenient.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-08-30, CarlBoyd wrote:
Buerste wrote:
For 30+ years I've had my chuck key chained to the drill press at home. Not

[ ... ]

I had a handful of 1/2" x 1/4"
cylinder neodymium magnets from a project so I drilled a hole in the top of
the chuck key and pressed in a magnet. These little guys have a 2 pound
pull and hold the key firmly to the drill press. The chain was a PITA and
would get warped up easily. It's also great for clearing swarf, I wrap it
in paper first.

Neat idea! I'll have to try that.

I have my chuck key on a shelf right behind the drill press.

Well ... I've still got a chuck key on a retracting chain (like
sometimes used on belts for door-lock keys) -- but I haven't used it for
years. I have a very nice Jacobs keyless (their semi-clone of the
Albrecht ones) on the drill press -- and the only time I'll need a chuck
key is for handling larger straight shanked bits (with a 5/8" or 3/4"
keyed chuck) -- or eventually for running in reverse when I add that
feature to the drill press. Most keyless chucks don't work well in
reverse. :-)

As for the chain being a PITA -- I don't remember it being so
with the retractor. The key also has a spring around the pilot, so you
can't leave it in the chuck.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Here is a good tip. Place a cylindrical magnet on the end of a dowel. Run the magnet and dowel down a stainless or plastic tube
closed on the end so that the dowel can slide up and down in this tube of about 18" long. Now use this assembly as a chip wand
gathering chips. After retrieval, hold the tube over a container and withdraw the dowel. The chips simply fall off the tube.
Steve

"Buerste" wrote in message ...
For 30+ years I've had my chuck key chained to the drill press at home. Not because I was punishing it, it would just get
easily misplaced. (Larry J. gets excited when he hears "Chained-Up".) I had a handful of 1/2" x 1/4" cylinder neodymium
magnets from a project so I drilled a hole in the top of the chuck key and pressed in a magnet. These little guys have a 2
pound pull and hold the key firmly to the drill press. The chain was a PITA and would get warped up easily. It's also great
for clearing swarf, I wrap it in paper first.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 21:55:18 -0500, the infamous "Martin H. Eastburn"
scrawled the following:

These little but powerful magnets - can turn a watch into mush.
Caution.

My Casio is entirely immune to even the highest magnetism, Martin.

--
Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority.
ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 21:55:18 -0500, the infamous "Martin H. Eastburn"
scrawled the following:

These little but powerful magnets - can turn a watch into mush.
Caution.

My Casio is entirely immune to even the highest magnetism, Martin.

That's the only reason you can wear it!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don't bet on it.
Solid state can have issues in a magnetic field.
The fact that you don't have a mainspring doesn't mean
you don't have steel gears.

Martin

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 21:55:18 -0500, the infamous "Martin H. Eastburn"
scrawled the following:

These little but powerful magnets - can turn a watch into mush.
Caution.

My Casio is entirely immune to even the highest magnetism, Martin.

--
Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority.
ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to
be good masters, but they mean to be masters. --Daniel Webster

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 21:30:28 -0500, the infamous "Martin H. Eastburn"
scrawled the following:

Don't bet on it.
Solid state can have issues in a magnetic field.
The fact that you don't have a mainspring doesn't mean
you don't have steel gears.

Hey, I'll send you my old Casio or Timex. See if you can find a magnet
gnarly enough to affect it. I've got five bucks against it.

--
Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority.
ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to
be good masters, but they mean to be masters. --Daniel Webster
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 01:11:50 -0400, "Buerste"
wrote:

For 30+ years I've had my chuck key chained to the drill press at home. Not
because I was punishing it, it would just get easily misplaced. (Larry J.
gets excited when he hears "Chained-Up".) I had a handful of 1/2" x 1/4"
cylinder neodymium magnets from a project so I drilled a hole in the top of
the chuck key and pressed in a magnet. These little guys have a 2 pound
pull and hold the key firmly to the drill press. The chain was a PITA and
would get warped up easily. It's also great for clearing swarf, I wrap it
in paper first.

My arrangement is slightly different. I have a large permanent
magnet (from a PM motor) stuck on top of my drill press, and I just
need to place the chuck key somewhere in the vicinity of the magnet
and it'll grab the key. Definitely beats the chain arrangement I used
to have.

Terry
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 20:27:21 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 21:30:28 -0500, the infamous "Martin H. Eastburn"
scrawled the following:

Don't bet on it.
Solid state can have issues in a magnetic field.
The fact that you don't have a mainspring doesn't mean
you don't have steel gears.

Hey, I'll send you my old Casio or Timex. See if you can find a magnet
gnarly enough to affect it. I've got five bucks against it.

I didn't realize there was a gearbox in those LCD displays. Must be a
masterpiece of micro-engineering BEG

Mark Rand
RTFM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Ditto, but from a hard disk. This was immediately after the occasion when I
wasted a whole hour trying to work out where I'd left the bloody chuck key...

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 05 Sep 2009 23:36:38 +0100, the infamous Mark Rand
scrawled the following:

wrote:

On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 21:30:28 -0500, the infamous "Martin H. Eastburn"
scrawled the following:

Don't bet on it.
Solid state can have issues in a magnetic field.
The fact that you don't have a mainspring doesn't mean
you don't have steel gears.

Hey, I'll send you my old Casio or Timex. See if you can find a magnet
gnarly enough to affect it. I've got five bucks against it.

I didn't realize there was a gearbox in those LCD displays. Must be a
masterpiece of micro-engineering BEG

As you saw, I left Martin to his weird dreams. snort

--
It's a great life...once you weaken.
--author James Hogan