Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Chuck key magnet

On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 01:11:50 -0400, the infamous "Buerste"
scrawled the following:

For 30+ years I've had my chuck key chained to the drill press at home. Not
because I was punishing it, it would just get easily misplaced. (Larry J.
gets excited when he hears "Chained-Up".)

Sticks and stones may break my bones,
but whips and chains excite me.

I had a handful of 1/2" x 1/4"
cylinder neodymium magnets from a project so I drilled a hole in the top of
the chuck key and pressed in a magnet. These little guys have a 2 pound
pull and hold the key firmly to the drill press.

I plopped a RE magnet onto the face of my drill press a few years ago
and haven't misplaced a chuck key since. (That's nearly a full dozen
uses!)

The chain was a PITA and
would get warped up easily. It's also great for clearing swarf, I wrap it
in paper first.

"warped up"? Would that be aluminum or brass swarf, Tawm?

--
A striking fact of the last two years of financial trouble is how
accountability has differed in the public and private spheres. On