Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Suggestions for Fixing Tank Seepage?

I have a poly tank that is seeping (water) from a couple of places near
the bottom (probably at the edge but not sure). I can't see any visible
cracks or holes and don't want to drain/remove the tank if possible.

Was wondering if anyone could suggest a non-toxic material that could be
stirred into the water (maybe a clay material of some sort?)that might
stop the seepage?

TIA for any suggestions.......

Laurie Forbes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 20, 11:16*am, Laurie Forbes wrote:
I have a poly tank that is seeping (water) from a couple of places near
the bottom (probably at the edge but not sure). *I can't see any visible
cracks or holes and don't want to drain/remove the tank if possible.

Was wondering if anyone could suggest a non-toxic material that could be
stirred into the water (maybe a clay material of some sort?)that might
stop the seepage?

TIA for any suggestions.......

Laurie Forbes

Seeping or condensing? This time of year, condensation is a problem
in a lot of areas. Only insulation can help with that.

For leaks, polyethylene is kind of nasty stuff to try to patch with
anything sticky because not much sticks to it. If you can't see holes
or cracks, not much point in it, either. Anything like radiator stop-
leak needs heat to set it up and it isn't non-toxic.

HF sells a couple of plastic welding kits, if you DO drain and remove
the tank so you can see holes and cracks. Uses hot air to do the
job. I've done that job with a big soldering iron and some spare
plastic film, wasn't pretty when I got done but the crack didn't
leak. Very stinky and kind of messed up the iron's tip until I could
clean it off with a file.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
[...]

---
soldering irons elements are plated. you don't want to file through that to
get to the copper underneath, or you'll wind up replacing it in pretty short
order.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 20, 12:16*pm, Laurie Forbes wrote:
I have a poly tank that is seeping (water) from a couple of places near
the bottom (probably at the edge but not sure). *I can't see any visible
cracks or holes and don't want to drain/remove the tank if possible.

Was wondering if anyone could suggest a non-toxic material that could be
stirred into the water (maybe a clay material of some sort?)that might
stop the seepage?

TIA for any suggestions.......

Laurie Forbes

Bentonite. A powdered clay used in the oilfield to make "gel" and to
line new ponds
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--

which is clumpable cat litter.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

mattathayde had written this in response to
http://rittercnc.com/metalworking/Su...ge-195562-.htm
:

-------------------------------------
Laurie Forbes wrote:

I have a poly tank that is seeping (water) from a couple of places near

the bottom (probably at the edge but not sure). I can't see any
visible
cracks or holes and don't want to drain/remove the tank if possible.

Was wondering if anyone could suggest a non-toxic material that could
be
stirred into the water (maybe a clay material of some sort?)that might
stop the seepage?

TIA for any suggestions.......

Laurie Forbes

i would really just try to find the leak (colored water even would work to
help
isolate it maybe. depending what its going to be used for it might not be
good
to put anything in it. jb weld will work though to seal a crack IIRC it
is food
safe when cured

-matt

Delivered via http://www.rittercnc.com/
Metalworking Forums
rec.crafts.metalworking - 169901 messages and counting!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 20, 6:16*pm, Laurie Forbes wrote:
I have a poly tank that is seeping (water) from a couple of places near
the bottom (probably at the edge but not sure). *I can't see any visible
cracks or holes and don't want to drain/remove the tank if possible.

Was wondering if anyone could suggest a non-toxic material that could be
stirred into the water (maybe a clay material of some sort?)that might
stop the seepage?

TIA for any suggestions.......

Laurie Forbes

More information is alway nice. Does the tank hold potable water? Is
the water in the tank always changing. Is the water in the tank
colder than the room temperature? My guess is that you have
condensation on the outside of the tank. Right now my cold water
pipes seem to be leaking, but it is just condensation.
Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Thanks to all for your help. Now that you mention it, condensation is
certainly possible as the water used to fill it (recently, for the first
time) was colder than ambient. The "seepage" looks pretty localized
however and some is around a banjo fitting on the bottom. OTOH, it
appears the volume of water under the tank (you can see it from the open
top thru the poly) has not increased since yesterday so maybe the
source, whatever it is, has stopped. The suggestion of bentonite sounds
worth trying if required. If that fails I guess I'll have to drain the
tank and try JB weld or heat welding if I can find the crack(s).

Thanks again guys - this is a great news group IMO (if one can get by
the dreary political and other OT BS that plagues it).

Laurie Forbes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 20, 7:40*pm, Laurie Forbes wrote:
wrote:
[...]

FYI...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bentonite

http://www.ilo.org/public/english/pr...3/icsc0384.htm

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Laurie Forbes wrote:
I have a poly tank that is seeping (water) from a couple of places near
the bottom (probably at the edge but not sure). I can't see any visible
cracks or holes and don't want to drain/remove the tank if possible.

Was wondering if anyone could suggest a non-toxic material that could be
stirred into the water (maybe a clay material of some sort?)that might
stop the seepage?

TIA for any suggestions.......

Laurie Forbes

To repair leaks in the old galvanized tanks if the leak was in the
bottom we used cement just tip a bag of portland cement into the the
tank and stir it up ,in a few days it will settle out and harden.

--
Kevin (Bluey)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Kevin(Bluey) wrote:
To repair leaks in the old galvanized tanks if the leak was in the
bottom we used cement just tip a bag of portland cement into the the
tank and stir it up ,in a few days it will settle out and harden.

That's clever! Must have been a "stock" tank, i.e., water filled & open
at the top. Not a fuel oil tank nor potable water tank (!).

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 20, 5:40*pm, Laurie Forbes wrote:

Thanks to all for your help. *Now that you mention it, condensation is
certainly possible as the water used to fill it (recently, for the first
time) was colder than ambient. *The "seepage" looks pretty localized
however and some is around a banjo fitting on the bottom. *OTOH, it
appears the volume of water under the tank (you can see it from the open
top thru the poly) has not increased since yesterday so maybe the
source, whatever it is, has stopped. *The suggestion of bentonite sounds
worth trying if required. *If that fails I guess I'll have to drain the
tank and try JB weld or heat welding if I can find the crack(s).

Thanks again guys - this is a great news group IMO (if one can get by
the dreary political and other OT BS that plagues it).

Laurie Forbes

I might try Billy Mays "Mighty Putty" (As Seen On TV) - might be the
one job it's perfect for and worth a try since it'll do no harm.

http://www.wndu.com/specialfeatures/.../15296246.html

As for welding poly, it's more like a high temperature wax than
anything. Just enough heat to do the job and no more is the method,
with more poly as filler.

Bewa if you stick molten poly to flesh it hurts like hell and only
cold water will help you!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Kevin(Bluey) wrote:
To repair leaks in the old galvanized tanks if the leak was in the
bottom we used cement just tip a bag of portland cement into the the
tank and stir it up ,in a few days it will settle out and harden.

That's clever! Must have been a "stock" tank, i.e., water filled & open
at the top. Not a fuel oil tank nor potable water tank (!).

Bob

We did it with stock tanks and our home rain water tanks and drank the
water.
We never drank filtered or bottled water when we were kids.
My family ran a large cattle station , when out in the mustering camps
We drew our water for drinking and washing from the same water hole that
the stock drank from .
I'm still alive and breathing at 55.

--
Kevin (Bluey)