Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Rhoomba (was Good Lawn Mowers) Should be Roomba

Doug White wrote:
"Bill Noble" wrote in
:

OK, I've got a question for the Rhoomba owners. I think they are a neat
idea, but our house has hardwood floors with big pieces of area carpet
filling in most of the space in any given room. There's usually a 4" to
6" border of hardwood showing around the edges. The carpet is ~ 3/8" to
1/2" thick.

Am I correct in assuming that a Rhoomba can't handle the transitions from
carpet to hardwood very well?

The 530 does handle the transitions well for things like throw rugs.
Even rugs with tassels, (though it can hang up on very long tassels).

For small throw rugs, I found that I can get a better cleaning job
done faster. I just pick the rugs up and shake them onto
the hardwood. It takes a few seconds each. The Roomba cleans up
after me.

The 530 *does* vacuum, so you would probably be surprised how well it
handles the hardwood border around your area rugs. Try it, would
be my advice. If it doesn't work, you can always sell me your
530.

The unit was initially marketed as a way to lengthen the time
between manual cleanings. I find that I can take a quick swipe with a
moistened towel behind doors and in the odd corner to catch the few
places our 530 doesn't access and I'm good to go.

We gave our upright vacuum cleaner to charity a couple months ago.

I could unlease one is a room and move it
and the charging station to each room, but at that point I might as well
haul out the Sears-sucker canister vacuum.

We have 'sunken' rooms too.
I solved that problem by putting a 530 in both these rooms.
Occasionally I will lift one of these units 3" into the
main part of the house. It vacuums the kitchen, hallways,
bathrooms and offices and stops at the end of the job.

Then I trigger the 530 in the garage. SWMBO was extremely happy at
the lack of dirt tracked from garage to house! She mentioned that
several times with a kind of awestruck wonder.

I was retrieving a pen that had fallen under the bed soon after
getting the first 530. Glancing under the bed, I was pleasantly
shocked by the clean 'polished' appearance of the hardwood.
Before the Roomba, it *never* was that clean!

It is cool to have 3 robots cleaning the house while I go
off and do something more entertaining.

Here is the bad news:

SWMBO's office and the hall bath door don't latch open the
way my office door does. Our Roomba has a way of closing
the door behind it in these rooms. Luckily both doors
can be wedged open easily.

Vertical clearance *can* be an issue.
We have one chest in SWMBO's office that is exactly the
right height to trap the Roomba underneath. I expect
that I will offer SWMBO a hardwood box for storing stuff
under that chest to solve that problem.

Chairs can be an issue.
Our Roomba spends a lot of time in the dining room because
the chair legs comprise a real obstacle course.

I normally set up a 'lighthouse' to prevent it from going
into the dining room.

Otherwise, I am a *very* happy customer and only wish
that I bought them sooner.

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:

Vertical clearance *can* be an issue.
We have one chest in SWMBO's office that is exactly the
right height to trap the Roomba underneath. I expect
that I will offer SWMBO a hardwood box for storing stuff
under that chest to solve that problem.

Put a nickel under each leg?

Otherwise, I am a *very* happy customer and only wish
that I bought them sooner.

--Winston

OK, I'm sold.
The usual commission applies?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Good Lawn Mowers

On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 00:20:40 -0700 (PDT), Andrew VK3BFA
wrote:

On Aug 18, 12:16 pm, Andrew VK3BFA wrote:
On Aug 18, 6:48 am, Tim Wescott wrote:

The Lawnmower That Refuses To Die

Get a pair of sheep - low maintenance, automatic height adjustment,
auto steering, recycles grass to motive fuel, conversational ability
on par with most wingers, and you can eat them if they start plotting
against you....

Andrew VK3BFA.

Well, you didn't need to modify the post Gunner - I didn't specify
right or left. (Not being paranoid, are you?) Extremists of both
persuasions are a danger to us all......ignorance, prejudice,stupidity
- neither side has a monopoly on them.
Andrew VK3BFA.

But we still like you extremists.

And where did I modify the post? You are one of the anal types who
simply has to remove everything in some vain hope of saving bandwidth?

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your
wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do
something damned nasty to all three of them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

You know where you modified it Gunner, unless early dementia is
kicking in. And for the benefit of anyone interested (not many, I
know) if you all read Gunners reply to my original reply to the post,
you will see he has inserted the word "left" in fron of wingers......
Gunner, if thats the best you can do, the populace of America must be
sleeping peacefully at night, knowing people like you are eternally
vigilant...

Andrew VK3BFA.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Actually, we sleep well at night knowing that people like him are
completely impotent.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

So please provide the original post. Ive been working in LA since
Monday. It was Thursday night when I read your post and commented.

Addition of the word Left made the posting far more correct than the
original version.