Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Metal related places to see in Denver area

Right now I and my older son are in the Denver area, we will be
renting an RV today with my sister and will travel around the area. I
was hoping that someone might suggest some interesting "rusty iron"
type museums here that we can visit.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 07:58:23 -0500, Ignoramus9796
wrote:

Right now I and my older son are in the Denver area, we will be
renting an RV today with my sister and will travel around the area. I
was hoping that someone might suggest some interesting "rusty iron"
type museums here that we can visit.

Hey Iggy,

Can't really help with the rusty stuff, but do get to shop at the Mile
High Flea Market just north of town. And for your son and your
sister, drop on down to Puebloand go west to the Great Sand Dunes
National Park. About 250 miles from Denver I think.

http://www.nps.gov/grsa/planyourvisit/directions.htm

Pretty interesting for 1/2 day visit. Lotsa live steam in the area
too.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus9796" wrote in message
Right now I and my older son are in the Denver area, we will be
renting an RV today with my sister and will travel around the area. I
was hoping that someone might suggest some interesting "rusty iron"
type museums here that we can visit.

There's a swell railroad museum out on the road to Golden. It was worth the
trip.

http://www.coloradorailroadmuseum.org/

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 15, 6:58*am, Ignoramus9796
wrote:
Right now I and my older son are in the Denver area, we will be
renting an RV today with my sister and will travel around the area. I
was hoping that someone might suggest some interesting "rusty iron"
type museums here that we can visit.

There's the Forney Transport Museum, they had to relocate out of the
old trolley power plant building but they're still around. There's
also a motorcycle museum and a vintage car museum around, all
private. Look on www.9news.com for write-ups and addresses, they've
had coverage in the last few weeks.

There used to be a Tesla museum down in Colorado Springs, don't know
if that's still open.

If you care to go farther afield, you can ride the Georgetown Loop
narrow-gauge and there's a silver mine you can tour as one of the side
trips, that was written up recently, too. Can't get to the silver
mine without the train ride, that's the only access and one of the
original reasons for its being built.

There's also the Wings Over The Rockies museum, if you care for
aircraft, on the old Lowry airbase grounds in one of the original
hangers. Has a B52 parked outside and a B1 parked inside. Lots of
other fighters and bombers along with some vintage space gear. Worth
an afternoon, if you have the time. You'd have to look it up, but
they do have cockpit access on certain days. You don't realize how
BIG that hanger is until you see that B1 sitting there and the cockpit
is about 2-3 stories UP. And plenty of room to the roof. And you
could park a couple of motor homes in the bomb bays.

If you 're looking for tools, Tool King has a bunch that are a cut
above the usual HF chink stuff. They're off 6th between Kipling and
Simms. Usual brand names, some factory refurbs at discount prices,
also have Rockler Hardware woodworking stuff in the back. They're on
the web. I buy most of my DeWalt stuff there, usually have factory
refurbs on the more expensive items.

Stan