Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Need Help identifying a source

I have machined up two polycarboate discs that are to be used as compass
cards. I have not been able to find a source of the layered silkscreening
necessary for the graphics. I have created the correctly sized image in MS
Visio. I just need someone to transfer the graphics to the cards. Do any of
you know of a source?
Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve Lusardi" wrote in message
I have machined up two polycarboate discs that are to be used as compass
cards. I have not been able to find a source of the layered silkscreening
necessary for the graphics. I have created the correctly sized image in MS
Visio. I just need someone to transfer the graphics to the cards. Do any of
you know of a source?
Steve

Look at the local T shirt shops. Lots do silkscreening.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve Lusardi wrote:
I have machined up two polycarboate discs that are to be used as compass
cards. I have not been able to find a source of the layered silkscreening
necessary for the graphics. I have created the correctly sized image in MS
Visio. I just need someone to transfer the graphics to the cards. Do any of
you know of a source?

There is usually someone local, but if you can't find anyone, I have
used Photo Art Stencil & Sign in Belmar NJ (732-681-7300) for similar
projects.

Keeping with the culture of this group, however, you may want to do it
yourself.

ezscreenprint.com

Kevin Gallimore
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Not only the teeshirt but sign companies. Sign fold make lots of
decals and odds and ends. I'd think decal not silk. Cleaner and
computer generated.

Martin

Steve Lusardi wrote:
I have machined up two polycarboate discs that are to be used as compass
cards. I have not been able to find a source of the layered silkscreening
necessary for the graphics. I have created the correctly sized image in MS
Visio. I just need someone to transfer the graphics to the cards. Do any of
you know of a source?
Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 1, 3:11*pm, "Steve Lusardi" wrote:
I have machined up two polycarboate discs that are to be used as compass
cards. I have not been able to find a source of the layered silkscreening
necessary for the graphics. I have created the correctly sized image in MS
Visio. I just need someone to transfer the graphics to the cards. Do any of
you know of a source?
Steve

In line with one of the other posters, there are kits for printing
decals, not sure if they were for ink jets or laser printers. The
local model railroading store has them. Also, you CAN do heat-
transfer on laser printer toner, just takes the right backing sheet to
print on in the first place. Google that up if you're interested,
it's an old technique, guys have been using it for printing resist
patterns for PC boards for decades.

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Kevin,
Thank you, I think the people at EZ Screen Print can help. I am reluctant
for someone else to do this, as I have invested a lot of time in machining
these cards and I don't want to do the job again. I have asked them for
advise on the ink and sceen material best suited to the task.
Steve

"axolotl" wrote in message
Steve Lusardi wrote:
I have machined up two polycarboate discs that are to be used as compass
cards. I have not been able to find a source of the layered silkscreening
necessary for the graphics. I have created the correctly sized image in
MS Visio. I just need someone to transfer the graphics to the cards. Do
any of you know of a source?

There is usually someone local, but if you can't find anyone, I have used
Photo Art Stencil & Sign in Belmar NJ (732-681-7300) for similar projects.

Keeping with the culture of this group, however, you may want to do it
yourself.

ezscreenprint.com

Kevin Gallimore

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 1, 5:11*pm, "Steve Lusardi" wrote:
I have machined up two polycarboate discs that are to be used as compass
cards. I have not been able to find a source of the layered silkscreening
necessary for the graphics

Polycarbonate is the material CDs are made of, and printing
on CDs is a routine task; lots of folk will have the right kind of
printing equipment for this. Are the compass cards bigger
than a CDROM?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

whit3rd wrote:
Polycarbonate is the material CDs are made of, and printing
on CDs is a routine task; ...

All true, BUT: the printing is not on the poly-c. It's on the aluminum
layer that's on the poly-c. Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve - Assuming the "layered silkscreening" you mention refers to
multi-color printing:
Find transparent labels for a laser printer. Avery has/had them as
"clear shipping labels", but nolonger the full page size. Hopefully, the
smaller labels would be adaequet. These look good with black only print if
the edges can be trimmed in a non obvious fashion. If you don't have a
color laser, maybe one of the small printing/copying companies.

Hul

Steve Lusardi wrote:
I have machined up two polycarboate discs that are to be used as compass
cards. I have not been able to find a source of the layered silkscreening
necessary for the graphics. I have created the correctly sized image in MS
Visio. I just need someone to transfer the graphics to the cards. Do any of
you know of a source?
Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 3, 2:12*pm, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
whit3rd wrote:
Polycarbonate is the material CDs are made of, and printing
on CDs is a routine task; ...

All true, BUT: the printing is not on the poly-c. *It's on the aluminum
layer that's on the poly-c. *Bob

Oh, yeah; or on the lacquer overcoat over the (magic stuff) layer
on writeable media...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 01 Aug 2009 23:11:15 +0200, Steve Lusardi wrote:

I have machined up two polycarboate discs that are to be used as compass
cards. I have not been able to find a source of the layered silkscreening
necessary for the graphics. I have created the correctly sized image in MS
Visio. I just need someone to transfer the graphics to the cards. Do any of
you know of a source?

I used to work at a place where they did their own silkscreening. I don't
know where they got the screens, but for some reason, the figure of $75
a pop rings a bell.

There's more than likely someone in town (or the nearest large city) that
can make screens for you - just look in the yellow pages. Making a frame
is almost trivial, but there's a certain amount of technique to applying
the ink with the squeegee; but you can do as much practics as you want
on any throwaway scrap pieces.

Have Fun!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 01 Aug 2009 23:26:45 -0700, stans4 wrote:
On Aug 1, 3:11*pm, "Steve Lusardi" wrote:
I have machined up two polycarboate discs that are to be used as compass
cards. I have not been able to find a source of the layered silkscreening
necessary for the graphics. I have created the correctly sized image in MS
Visio. I just need someone to transfer the graphics to the cards. Do any of
you know of a source?
Steve

In line with one of the other posters, there are kits for printing
decals, not sure if they were for ink jets or laser printers. The
local model railroading store has them. Also, you CAN do heat-
transfer on laser printer toner, just takes the right backing sheet to
print on in the first place. Google that up if you're interested,
it's an old technique, guys have been using it for printing resist
patterns for PC boards for decades.

Glossy magazine pages. You can ignore the printing, because it's the
clay that makes the difference. They talk about this all the time in
the electronics groups, because people like to do their own PCB
layouts.

Have Fun!
Rich