Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Running water line/conduit

"stryped" wrote in message
I will need to run water line/conduit from the crawlspace of my house
to my shop I am building. Is it permissable/possible to run it under
the footer/foundation? and if so how in the world do I do that? I dug
about 10 inches down against the foundation wall and hit a concrete
ledge which I assume is the footer.

Can I dig to the enge of this then somehow drive a metal pipe sideways
to reach under the house?

or is it better/proper to somehow drill a hole in the foundation
block? If so what do I use?

I appreciate your help! I am using 3/4 pvc for the water line. Running
conduit in sch 40 conduit. (The plastic stuff.

I would recommend at least 18" deep, if not 24. Then yes, drill the blocks
with a carbide tipped masonry drill.

You might also want to consider making at least your underground run with
PEX. It's a good bit more resilient to soil movement and freezing, and
easier to place in a long run with curves. You could probably make your
entire underground run in 1 piece with no couplings.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 23:35:15 -0500, "Tim" wrote:

"stryped" wrote in message
[...]

If you go that route, run a "Sleeve" underground with a straight run
of 1" PVC Pipe, and heat bend the pipe to make radius sweeps like
conduit. Or get the black polybutylene tubing used for sprinkler
water lines, it's flexible enough to bend. Put any thermal insulation
on the outside of the sleeve pipe.

Rig up drain fittings at the low spots so it drains into a gravel
bed, or out on the lawn, or into the basement drain system at the
house. Then pull your 1/2" PEX water pipe through in one piece.

And WHEN it freezes and bursts the PEX pipe, and you see a river
coming out the drain, you just re-pull the PEX through the existing
underground sleeve and you are all done. No digging, no concrete
cutting.

Think ahead, determine failure modes, and guard against as many as
you can.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bruce L. Bergman" wrote in message

If you go that route, run a "Sleeve" underground with a straight run
of 1" PVC Pipe, and heat bend the pipe to make radius sweeps like
conduit. Or get the black polybutylene tubing used for sprinkler
water lines, it's flexible enough to bend. Put any thermal insulation
on the outside of the sleeve pipe.

Rig up drain fittings at the low spots so it drains into a gravel
bed, or out on the lawn, or into the basement drain system at the
house. Then pull your 1/2" PEX water pipe through in one piece.

And WHEN it freezes and bursts the PEX pipe, and you see a river
coming out the drain, you just re-pull the PEX through the existing
underground sleeve and you are all done. No digging, no concrete
cutting.

Think ahead, determine failure modes, and guard against as many as
you can.

Why not just bury it deep enough it never freezes?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 23:05:43 -0500, "Tim" wrote:

Why not just bury it deep enough it never freezes?

You can. But... I'd still set it up as a sleeve. Then if it fails
there is no digging required to replace it.

We aren't in a freeze zone, but I still sleeved my water main where
it goes under the driveway. Just in case.

-- Bruce --

Running water line/conduit Doug Miller Metalworking 11 August 2nd 09 03:48 AM
Running a hot water line outside??? [email protected] Home Repair 21 July 13th 07 07:17 PM
running conduit highflyr Home Repair 4 September 26th 06 03:08 AM
Running water line. [email protected] Home Repair 7 February 7th 05 01:21 PM
Running SWA and Cat5 in same conduit? Tim \(Remove NOSPAM. UK diy 31 October 11th 04 06:48 PM