Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Mini bike plans?

Anyone got a link to some mini bike plans for my nephew?
Thanks
Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
Anyone got a link to some mini bike plans for my nephew?
Thanks
Karl

http://www.vintageprojects.com/mini-bike-plans.html

Helmet!

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

instead of plans, work with your nephew - make it out of 2X4s, hinges old
bike parts and a lawm mower engine - he will learn how things go together,
what works and doesn't work, and it will be far less capable, hence less
dangerous, than something fancy you make for him.

wrote in message
Anyone got a link to some mini bike plans for my nephew?
Thanks
Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 20, 1:49*pm, " wrote:
Anyone got a link to some mini bike plans for my nephew?
Thanks
Karl

Found that one. He'll be building it with some help from his father.
He wears a helmet on his bike so I'm sure he will on a minibike. All
the adults except my sister have been riding motorcycles for years so
we have some idea of the dangers.

I found these after I posted.

http://www.vintageprojects.com/mini-bike/mini-bike.pdf

http://www.scribd.com/doc/6472627/Wren-Minibike-Plans

bottom of page
http://www.diygokarts.com/bike-plans...-overview.html

Thanks
Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 02:40:21 -0700 (PDT), kfvorwerk
wrote:

On Jul 20, 1:49*pm, " wrote:
Anyone got a link to some mini bike plans for my nephew?
Thanks
Karl

Found that one. He'll be building it with some help from his father.
He wears a helmet on his bike so I'm sure he will on a minibike. All
the adults except my sister have been riding motorcycles for years so
we have some idea of the dangers.

I found these after I posted.

http://www.vintageprojects.com/mini-bike/mini-bike.pdf

http://www.scribd.com/doc/6472627/Wren-Minibike-Plans

bottom of page
http://www.diygokarts.com/bike-plans...-overview.html

Thanks
Karl

I have a term fairly screaming at me from the back of my head after
looking at the links.
CHAIN GUARDS!!!!!!!

Stealth Pilot
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 16:49:29 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Anyone got a link to some mini bike plans for my nephew?
Thanks
Karl

Think Go-Kart instead. Down low to the ground, a hell of a lot safer
to go round corners at ridiculous rates of speed. Much harder to get
hurt while driving, especially if you insist on his wearing a proper
helmet and reasonable safety gear.

(I'd insist on a full Nomex driving suit, but they are not cheap.)

A Mini-Bike has the same hazards as a full size motorcycle. Lots of
wonderful ways to get unstable or make a driving error (like too much
front brake or otherwise let the front end wash out) and unload at
speed - and then have the bike land on top of you...

A kart you stay with it and let it disintegrate around you to bleed
off excess energy.

Much easier to flat-track and drift a kart rather than a bike.

You use the open chassis only on competitive race courses where there
are no cars or hazards, only other karts. For anywhere else, get a
chassis with a full roll cage.

Northern Tool has a complete chassis kit where you just add an engine.
Another source is http://www.mfgsupply.com/GoMini.html

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bruce L. Bergman wrote:

(I'd insist on a full Nomex driving suit, but they are not cheap.)

If you or someone you know is near a large Army base with a selection of
surplus stores, used Nomex flight suits can be found for $20 - $30.

Kevin Gallimore
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Anyone got a link to some mini bike plans for my nephew?
Thanks
Karl

Think Go-Kart instead. Down low to the ground, a hell of a lot safer
to go round corners at ridiculous rates of speed. Much harder to get
hurt while driving, especially if you insist on his wearing a proper
helmet and reasonable safety gear.

(I'd insist on a full Nomex driving suit, but they are not cheap.)

Why Nomex when there's virtually no chance of a fire?

A Mini-Bike has the same hazards as a full size motorcycle. Lots of
wonderful ways to get unstable or make a driving error (like too much
front brake or otherwise let the front end wash out) and unload at
speed - and then have the bike land on top of you...

The only minibike I ever rode was very slow and rear-brake only. It had
many fewer hazards compared to a motorcycle, and probably fewer than a
bicycle -- due to the much lower speed and lower center of gravity.

A kart you stay with it and let it disintegrate around you to bleed
off excess energy.

Ummm.... you must be thinking of something other than a racing go-kart.

Much easier to flat-track and drift a kart rather than a bike.

You use the open chassis only on competitive race courses where there
are no cars or hazards, only other karts. For anywhere else, get a
chassis with a full roll cage.

Northern Tool has a complete chassis kit where you just add an engine.
Another source is http://www.mfgsupply.com/GoMini.html

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 22:15:21 -0600, Joe Pfeiffer
wrote:

A Mini-Bike has the same hazards as a full size motorcycle. Lots of
wonderful ways to get unstable or make a driving error (like too much
front brake or otherwise let the front end wash out) and unload at
speed - and then have the bike land on top of you...

The only minibike I ever rode was very slow and rear-brake only. It had
many fewer hazards compared to a motorcycle, and probably fewer than a
bicycle -- due to the much lower speed and lower center of gravity.

Ill bet it didnt have a McColloch chainsaw engine as the power source.

Gunner, who had the front end come apart at an estimated 60 miles an
hour on such a minibike..and still has gravel imbedded in his hide...40
yrs later

"Lenin called them "useful idiots," those people living in
liberal democracies who by giving moral and material support
to a totalitarian ideology in effect were braiding the rope that
would hang them. Why people who enjoyed freedom and prosperity worked
passionately to destroy both is a fascinating question, one still with us
today. Now the useful idiots can be found in the chorus of appeasement,
reflexive anti-Americanism, and sentimental idealism trying to inhibit
the necessary responses to another freedom-hating ideology, radical Islam"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

A Mini-Bike has the same hazards as a full size motorcycle. Lots of
wonderful ways to get unstable or make a driving error (like too much
front brake or otherwise let the front end wash out) and unload at
speed - and then have the bike land on top of you...

The only minibike I ever rode was very slow and rear-brake only. It had
many fewer hazards compared to a motorcycle, and probably fewer than a
bicycle -- due to the much lower speed and lower center of gravity.

Ill bet it didnt have a McColloch chainsaw engine as the power source.

Gunner, who had the front end come apart at an estimated 60 miles an
hour on such a minibike..and still has gravel imbedded in his hide...40
yrs later

I don't remember what the engine was (some sort of horizontal-shaft
lawnmower engine), but I'd be surprised if it was capable of 20 MPH.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

A Mini-Bike has the same hazards as a full size motorcycle. Lots of
wonderful ways to get unstable or make a driving error (like too much
front brake or otherwise let the front end wash out) and unload at
speed - and then have the bike land on top of you...

The only minibike I ever rode was very slow and rear-brake only. It had
many fewer hazards compared to a motorcycle, and probably fewer than a
bicycle -- due to the much lower speed and lower center of gravity.

Ill bet it didnt have a McColloch chainsaw engine as the power source.

Gunner, who had the front end come apart at an estimated 60 miles an
hour on such a minibike..and still has gravel imbedded in his hide...40
yrs later

What ever gave you the priceless idea to run 60 on a mini bike?

Properly geared an governed mini bikes are a very safe toy, and run no
faster than a bicycle running down hill.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 09:38:16 -0500, "Tim" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

A Mini-Bike has the same hazards as a full size motorcycle. Lots of
wonderful ways to get unstable or make a driving error (like too much
front brake or otherwise let the front end wash out) and unload at
speed - and then have the bike land on top of you...

The only minibike I ever rode was very slow and rear-brake only. It had
many fewer hazards compared to a motorcycle, and probably fewer than a
bicycle -- due to the much lower speed and lower center of gravity.

Ill bet it didnt have a McColloch chainsaw engine as the power source.

Gunner, who had the front end come apart at an estimated 60 miles an
hour on such a minibike..and still has gravel imbedded in his hide...40
yrs later

Hell with chainsaw motors, you drop a CB750 in that scoot... _

What ever gave you the priceless idea to run 60 on a mini bike?

Properly geared an governed mini bikes are a very safe toy, and run no
faster than a bicycle running down hill.

And a determined kid will be bypassing the governor settings in
three... two... one...

Still way too easy to get hurt on a mini-bike, harder but not
impossible on a kart.

Even an "open" Indy Car provides a lot of protection versus a race
bike, where your leathers and pads are all you've got.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

A Mini-Bike has the same hazards as a full size motorcycle. Lots of
wonderful ways to get unstable or make a driving error (like too much
front brake or otherwise let the front end wash out) and unload at
speed - and then have the bike land on top of you...

The only minibike I ever rode was very slow and rear-brake only. It had
many fewer hazards compared to a motorcycle, and probably fewer than a
bicycle -- due to the much lower speed and lower center of gravity.

Ill bet it didnt have a McColloch chainsaw engine as the power source.

Gunner, who had the front end come apart at an estimated 60 miles an
hour on such a minibike..and still has gravel imbedded in his hide...40
yrs later

What ever gave you the priceless idea to run 60 on a mini bike?

Big balls, much smaller brains. Shrug..but it WAS fun as hell for the
first couple days

Properly geared an governed mini bikes are a very safe toy, and run no
faster than a bicycle running down hill.

Ive gone downhill on a bike at well over 50 mph......granted..it WAS a
very long and steep hill...about 11 miles long actually.....

Gunner

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith
becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact
equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man
because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the
person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...
There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag,
the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the
English language.. and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people.'
Theodore Ro osevelt 1907
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 21, 12:59*am, Jim Stewart wrote:
wrote:
Anyone got a link to some mini bike plans for my nephew?

Think twice, most kids got hurt on them.
I know I did.

Might be better to motorize a pedal bike.
Gas and electric kits are available on
ebay.

The qualifier is how badly do most kids get hurt on a mini bike. At a
young age most kids feel invincible. Much better to have them realize
reality on a mini bike than in a car. I saved the url's and expect to
build one for my grandson if his dad says it is okay.

Dan

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Jul 20, 1:49*pm, " wrote:
Anyone got a link to some mini bike plans for my nephew?
Thanks
Karl

Found that one. He'll be building it with some help from his father.
He wears a helmet on his bike so I'm sure he will on a minibike. All
the adults except my sister have been riding motorcycles for years so
we have some idea of the dangers.

I found these after I posted.

http://www.vintageprojects.com/mini-bike/mini-bike.pdf

http://www.scribd.com/doc/6472627/Wren-Minibike-Plans

bottom of page
http://www.diygokarts.com/bike-plans...-overview.html

I came across the Racoon awhile back. I'd love to take it
for a ride. It is a hydrostatic, 2 wheel drive motorcycle.
See:

http://www.hydraulicinnovations.com/raccoon.htm

They have a lengthy discussion in the Forum area, enough
info you could probably build your own.

I would like to have a Rokon, but I'll never be able to
swallow the price tag for one.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on
or about Wed, 22 Jul 2009 11:16:27 -0700 did write/type or cause to
appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Gunner, who had the front end come apart at an estimated 60 miles an
hour on such a minibike..and still has gravel imbedded in his hide...40
yrs later

What ever gave you the priceless idea to run 60 on a mini bike?

Big balls, much smaller brains. Shrug..but it WAS fun as hell for the
first couple days

You were a guy, and accidents happen to the "other guy". You take
a roomful of young bucks, tell them there is a good chance that only
one in three will come back, and each and every one will turn to the
guy on their left and right and say "sorry about that, but I'll be
sure to take care of your girlfriend when I get back."
Testosterone - it's a man thing.

pyotr
-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.gokartsupply.com/chopper.htm has a lot of useful parts
(levers, footpegs, twist-grip throttles, seats, etc).
http://www.mfgsupply.com/GoMiniKits.html also has a lot of parts, plus
mini-bike kits (with & without the forks & frame)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:
Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on
or about Wed, 22 Jul 2009 11:16:27 -0700 did write/type or cause to
appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
Gunner, who had the front end come apart at an estimated 60 miles an
hour on such a minibike..and still has gravel imbedded in his hide...40
yrs later

What ever gave you the priceless idea to run 60 on a mini bike?

Big balls, much smaller brains. Shrug..but it WAS fun as hell for the
first couple days

You were a guy, and accidents happen to the "other guy". You take
a roomful of young bucks, tell them there is a good chance that only
one in three will come back, and each and every one will turn to the
guy on their left and right and say "sorry about that, but I'll be
sure to take care of your girlfriend when I get back."
Testosterone - it's a man thing.

80 percent of drivers believe that they
are better than average at driving...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leon Fisk wrote:

(...)

I came across the Racoon awhile back. I'd love to take it
for a ride. It is a hydrostatic, 2 wheel drive motorcycle.
See:

http://www.hydraulicinnovations.com/raccoon.htm

They have a lengthy discussion in the Forum area, enough
info you could probably build your own.

I would like to have a Rokon, but I'll never be able to
swallow the price tag for one.

That is Very Cool!

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 14:05:05 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on
or about Wed, 22 Jul 2009 11:16:27 -0700 did write/type or cause to
appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Gunner, who had the front end come apart at an estimated 60 miles an
hour on such a minibike..and still has gravel imbedded in his hide...40
yrs later

What ever gave you the priceless idea to run 60 on a mini bike?

Big balls, much smaller brains. Shrug..but it WAS fun as hell for the
first couple days

You were a guy, and accidents happen to the "other guy". You take
a roomful of young bucks, tell them there is a good chance that only
one in three will come back, and each and every one will turn to the
guy on their left and right and say "sorry about that, but I'll be
sure to take care of your girlfriend when I get back."

Sigh..been there..done that.

Testosterone - it's a man thing.

Indeed!

pyotr
-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith
becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact
equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man
because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the
person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...
There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag,
the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the
English language.. and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people.'
Theodore Ro osevelt 1907
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Let the Record show that Jim Stewart on or
about Wed, 22 Jul 2009 15:02:03 -0700 did write/type or cause to
pyotr filipivich wrote:
[...]

Ever notice how the guy passing you is a maniac, but the guy
you're passing is a menace to society?
-