Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default paint marker

Are there any favorites types of paint markers that write in white for
re-doing botched up knobs or bezels?

I've got a plastic knob less than 1" in diameter where the markings have
worn off. I'd like to redraw the numbers which are about 3/16" tall.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Someone makes "paint sticks" for doing what you need done. MSC sells
them in white and black. You sorta rub the stick onto the part to be
"Painted", then wipe off the excess with a hard cloth. You don't want
to use a soft cloth, because its fibers will sink into the indentations
and pull the paint out. I don't remember how long the "paint" must dry
before you wipe the surface.

Pete Stanaitis
---------------

Cydrome Leader wrote:
Are there any favorites types of paint markers that write in white for
re-doing botched up knobs or bezels?

I've got a plastic knob less than 1" in diameter where the markings have
worn off. I'd like to redraw the numbers which are about 3/16" tall.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RBnDFW wrote:
I have used the sticks made for tire marking, because that's what i had
on hand. Worked fine. Yellow or white.

Oh, I forgot to mention, there is no recess, that's why the original silk
screened printing wore off.

Cydrome Leader wrote:
Are there any favorites types of paint markers that write in white for
re-doing botched up knobs or bezels?

I've got a plastic knob less than 1" in diameter where the markings
have worn off. I'd like to redraw the numbers which are about 3/16" tall.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Cydrome Leader wrote:
Are there any favorites types of paint markers that write in white for
re-doing botched up knobs or bezels?

I've got a plastic knob less than 1" in diameter where the markings
have worn off. I'd like to redraw the numbers which are about 3/16"
tall.

Probably better to get a stick on tape with numbers.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 14:21:51 -0500, spaco wrote:

Someone makes "paint sticks" for doing what you need done. MSC sells
them in white and black. You sorta rub the stick onto the part to be
"Painted", then wipe off the excess with a hard cloth. You don't want
to use a soft cloth, because its fibers will sink into the indentations
and pull the paint out. I don't remember how long the "paint" must dry
before you wipe the surface.

Pete Stanaitis

With the ones that I got from J&L (now MSC), wiping the surplus off
immediately works. The important part is to rub all of the hardened paint off
the end of the stick to get to fresh paint, before using it to mark anything.
A piece of sawn 2x4 works very well for this :-)

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Cydrome Leader wrote:
Are there any favorites types of paint markers that write in white for
re-doing botched up knobs or bezels?

I've got a plastic knob less than 1" in diameter where the markings
have worn off. I'd like to redraw the numbers which are about 3/16"
tall.

Probably better to get a stick on tape with numbers.

Hmm, I forgot about stuff like that (dry transfer letters). It would look
the best too.

I swear they used to comes with some types of video cassettes, but in
black.

Thanks.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 20, 12:34*pm, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Are there any favorites types of paint markers that write in white for
re-doing botched up knobs or bezels?

I've got a plastic knob less than 1" in diameter where the markings have
worn off. I'd like to redraw the numbers which are about 3/16" tall.

Another option -- dry transfer application (burnishing):
http://www.minute-man.com/acatalog/N...Alphabets.html
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 20, 4:25*pm, "Denis G." wrote:
On Jul 20, 12:34*pm, Cydrome Leader wrote:

Are there any favorites types of paint markers that write in white for
re-doing botched up knobs or bezels?

I've got a plastic knob less than 1" in diameter where the markings have
worn off. I'd like to redraw the numbers which are about 3/16" tall.

Another option -- dry transfer application (burnishing):http://www.minute-man.com/acatalog/N...Alphabets.html

I was just going to mention that, but you've got to be really careful
with alignment and the small characters are a real challenge on curved
surfaces. One reason the old timers used to have a pointer on the
knob and the graduations on the panel face. Choice of colors used to
be black or white and you needed a fixative spray after getting things
applied. Some of the belt and suspenders guys put a plexiglas panel
over the completed lettering job. Dry-transfers used to be a staple
of the component catalog business, haven't seen any since the last of
the ham stores went out of business around here.

There ARE no paint markers with tips as fine as a Sharpie, most I've
used have a ball-bearing tip about an 1/8" or so, hardly what you need
for laying out fine markings. The alternative is white lacquer, a
fine brush and a steady hand. Or turn new knobs, graduate same, stamp
markings as desired and fill in with lacquer stick. Brownell's
carries various colors of lacquer sticks, should you want to go that
route. Basically smear the stuff over the engraving, wait a bit and
buff off the excess with a cloth. It's solvent-based, so acetone or
mineral spirits will clean things off if you need another go-around.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 20, 5:41*pm, wrote:
On Jul 20, 4:25*pm, "Denis G." wrote:

[...]

Yup, I agree about being careful with alignment and touch up with the
white pens. It would be nice if they had computer generated dry-
transfer sheets, but I don't think they do. There are computer
printer decals too, but I haven't had the chance to use them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Cydrome Leader" wrote in message
Are there any favorites types of paint markers that write in white for
re-doing botched up knobs or bezels?

I've got a plastic knob less than 1" in diameter where the markings have
worn off. I'd like to redraw the numbers which are about 3/16" tall.

Doesn't someone offer a material that can be ink jet printed, then applied
with a pressure sensitive backing?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 18:06:20 -0500, "Tim" wrote:

"Cydrome Leader" wrote in message
Are there any favorites types of paint markers that write in white for
re-doing botched up knobs or bezels?

I've got a plastic knob less than 1" in diameter where the markings have
worn off. I'd like to redraw the numbers which are about 3/16" tall.

Doesn't someone offer a material that can be ink jet printed, then applied
with a pressure sensitive backing?

Yup. http://www.decalpaper.com/default.asp is one example. IIRC, you
print in reverse so the film is on the outside. If the knob is domed,
the film might not conform well. Also, the printing will have to
contrast with the knob. Easier if it isn't black.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SNIP

Oh, I forgot to mention, there is no recess, that's why the original silk
screened printing wore off.

SNIP

Why not "print" one and glue it on. Even simple CAD programs allow
drafting it up and printing it to a scale that suits.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Brian Lawson wrote:
SNIP

Oh, I forgot to mention, there is no recess, that's why the original silk
screened printing wore off.

SNIP

Why not "print" one and glue it on. Even simple CAD programs allow
drafting it up and printing it to a scale that suits.

I don't have a way to print white letters.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-07-21, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Brian Lawson wrote:
SNIP

Oh, I forgot to mention, there is no recess, that's why the original silk
screened printing wore off.

SNIP

Why not "print" one and glue it on. Even simple CAD programs allow
drafting it up and printing it to a scale that suits.

I don't have a way to print white letters.

I recommend wire brushing your knobs.

Maybe replace a knob with a swivel caster, could help also.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

But these knobs go all the way to 11

--
WB
metalworking projects

"Ignoramus19289" wrote in message
I recommend wire brushing your knobs.

Maybe replace a knob with a swivel caster, could help also.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-07-21, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Brian Lawson wrote:
SNIP

Oh, I forgot to mention, there is no recess, that's why the original silk
screened printing wore off.

SNIP

Why not "print" one and glue it on. Even simple CAD programs allow
drafting it up and printing it to a scale that suits.

I don't have a way to print white letters.

I recommend wire brushing your knobs.

Wire brushing a black plastic knob is very clever!

FWIW, white laser toner would be interesting to have.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-07-21, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Brian Lawson wrote:
SNIP

Oh, I forgot to mention, there is no recess, that's why the original silk
screened printing wore off.

SNIP

Why not "print" one and glue it on. Even simple CAD programs allow
drafting it up and printing it to a scale that suits.

I don't have a way to print white letters.

I recommend wire brushing your knobs.

Wire brushing a black plastic knob is very clever!

Your white paint will adhere better, for sure.

FWIW, white laser toner would be interesting to have.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 17:34:06 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

Are there any favorites types of paint markers that write in white for
re-doing botched up knobs or bezels?

I've got a plastic knob less than 1" in diameter where the markings have
worn off. I'd like to redraw the numbers which are about 3/16" tall.

--------
Use "dry transfer" lettering. Comes in white.

http://www.pcbsupplies.com/servlet/t...Letters/Detail

Your local graphic art supply store may have single sheets in
stock, or do a google search.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
He that will not apply new remedies,
must expect new evils:
for Time is the greatest innovator: and
what shall be the end?

Essays, "Of Innovations" (1597-1625).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Cydrome Leader wrote:

Why not "print" one and glue it on. Even simple CAD programs allow
drafting it up and printing it to a scale that suits.
I don't have a way to print white letters.

How about a decal?

http://www.micromark.com/DECAL-PAPER...TERS,8257.html

New Paintball Marker [email protected] Electronics 0 May 21st 09 05:30 AM
(OT) place marker (don't read) Larry Smith Woodworking 0 August 9th 05 11:56 PM
remove permanent marker UK diy 18 March 4th 04 12:35 AM
Indelible Marker pens Dave UK diy 15 January 23rd 04 08:23 PM