Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default paint marker

On Jul 20, 4:25*pm, "Denis G." wrote:
On Jul 20, 12:34*pm, Cydrome Leader wrote:

Are there any favorites types of paint markers that write in white for
re-doing botched up knobs or bezels?

I've got a plastic knob less than 1" in diameter where the markings have
worn off. I'd like to redraw the numbers which are about 3/16" tall.

Another option -- dry transfer application (burnishing):http://www.minute-man.com/acatalog/N...Alphabets.html

I was just going to mention that, but you've got to be really careful
with alignment and the small characters are a real challenge on curved
surfaces. One reason the old timers used to have a pointer on the
knob and the graduations on the panel face. Choice of colors used to
be black or white and you needed a fixative spray after getting things
applied. Some of the belt and suspenders guys put a plexiglas panel
over the completed lettering job. Dry-transfers used to be a staple
of the component catalog business, haven't seen any since the last of
the ham stores went out of business around here.

There ARE no paint markers with tips as fine as a Sharpie, most I've
used have a ball-bearing tip about an 1/8" or so, hardly what you need
for laying out fine markings. The alternative is white lacquer, a
fine brush and a steady hand. Or turn new knobs, graduate same, stamp
markings as desired and fill in with lacquer stick. Brownell's
carries various colors of lacquer sticks, should you want to go that
route. Basically smear the stuff over the engraving, wait a bit and
buff off the excess with a cloth. It's solvent-based, so acetone or
mineral spirits will clean things off if you need another go-around.

Stan