Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default First home furnace

Hello.

I want to make a cheap furnace which is capable fo melting brass. First
time doing this so it must be as simple and as cheap as posible. It
should be gas fueled as I can't get away with loads of smoke and mess in
my small garden. Have no tools which would be helpful nor can i weld, so i
think i will eiether use a plant pot for the cylindrical body or just
visit a few scrap yards and i'm bound to find something i can use. I will
purchase comercial refractory. The crucible will also most likely be paid
for.
I would need some info. on the basics of such a simple furnace, really
i am only asking because i see so many disclaimer notices on foundry
websites which funnerly enough must make people buy their books aswell as
obviously serving as a disclaimer notice.
If i had a big garden with loads of space i would just go ahead and use
my logic, except when it comes to working near other people's homes with a
gas canister my logic could become very explosive which isn't too bad
until i kill burn someones house down. So please give me tips about
safety, and what are the precautions to take when melting brass, i know
zinc is very poisonous and obviously water will make the molten metal
splash everywhere. What material should my crucible be made from, i'm
guessing there might be some which would be adverse to use when attempting
to melt brass because of it's alloy content??

And please give me some info. on how to arrange my furnace, do i need an
air blower and how exactly should i position my burner pipe(i also could
use some correct terminology) inside the funace? should it be opposite the
air inlet should the flame contact the crucible. Should there be a gap
around the burner pipe opening in the furnace or should the radius be
tight to the burner pipe?

Thnx, and as i said before for now i cannot rely on my own brain as it
could be too dangerous even though im sure i could make something which
could melt brass, but for now i wont use too much of my own logic till i
get some experience.
Thanks, James
-------------------------------------

Delivered via http://www.rittercnc.com/
Metalworking Forums
rec.crafts.metalworking - 167003 messages and counting!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"lightless" wrote in message
[...]

In my previous life I took two semesters of metalworking -- yeah, making
copper ashtrays for mom'n'dad, perhaps a bong -- and I was struck by the
"ferocity" of the gas furnace, ito air, noise, etc.

But the point really was, mebbe check out one in a school, see what you can
copy, design-wise, and safety-wise. F'sure I think you'd want the
electric-eye ditty for flame detection, with an electric shut-off valve,

A guy I know, a regarded casting place for statues, etc, switched from gas
to induction, said he would never go back. Cost a substantial penny,
f'sure, but mebbe there are smaller or even diy versions of this, esp. w/
inverter-type technology reaching the rabble-ous shop (m)asses.

--
Mr. PV'd

Mae West (yer fav CongressShill) to the Gangster (yer fav Lobbyist):
Hey, Big Boy, is that a wad (of cash) in yer pocket, or are you just
glad to see me??

Experiment on Homo Sapiens -- CEOs, Lawyers, and Politicians, in
particular.
Spare the animals.

Click here every day to feed an animal that needs you today.
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Thanks, James
-------------------------------------

Delivered via http://www.rittercnc.com/
Metalworking Forums
rec.crafts.metalworking - 167003 messages and counting!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I want to make a cheap furnace which is capable fo melting brass. First
time doing this so it must be as simple and as cheap as posible. It

Go to Lindsay Publications online and buy a Gingery book called "build your
own melting furnace" or something close to that. Nice plans on how to build
one with cheap parts.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 15, 10:40*am, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:
*I want to make a cheap furnace which is capable fo melting brass. *First
time doing this so it must be as simple and as cheap as posible. *It

Go to Lindsay Publications online and buy a Gingery book called "build your
own melting furnace" or something close to that. Nice plans on how to build
one with cheap parts.

Karl

Or try eBay - sometimes $2 there.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"lightless" wrote in message
[...]

lightless,
You're asking for an awful lot of info at oncce. I'd recomend you do some
reading first. I have a book, 'The Metalcasters Bible' by C.W. Ammen, TAB
books, that has a lot of good information for beginners. Good luck, be safe
and have fun.
Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 15, 10:39*am,
(lightless) wrote:
[...]

Gingery's books would be a place to start, he was melting aluminum
with homemade equipment and charcoal and the series showed how to
build your own shop out of scrap. Brass is a whole other animal
although the basic pattern-making skills and such will transfer.
There are a number of foundry work reprints that are helpful, might be
the local library would have some originals, too. Don't neglect
archive.org, either, there's a whole bunch of old shop books on there.

If you want propane-fired, do a search on "Mongo burner", these are
homemade from plumbing fittings, intended for forges. It should be
able to adapt one to some sort of melting furnace without a whole lot
of trouble. Castable ceramics and ceramic fiber blankets have
revolutionized building forges and furnaces, too. Depending on how
big a crucible you want to heat, you might be able to build the works
in a 5 gallon bucket. If you can't weld, you're going to have to
either find somebody who can or buy your shanks and tongs for crucible
handling.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Wait wrote:
"lightless" wrote in message
[...]

I have one too---Thas a dam fine book!!!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

lightless wrote:
Hello.

I want to make a cheap furnace which is capable fo melting brass.
First time doing this so it must be as simple and as cheap as
posible. It should be gas fueled as I can't get away with loads of
smoke and mess in my small garden.

Google "reil burner" , built from off-the-shelf fittings . Stick it in a
Gingery type furnace built into a five gallon steel bucket . Buy a crucible
on ebay .
Check out ABANA (artist blacksmith ass'n of north america , I think it is)
for ideas of alternative furnace designs .
--
Snag
every answer

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"lightless" wrote in message
Hello.

I want to make a cheap furnace which is capable fo melting brass.

How much brass at a time?

Propane/Natural Gas, or do you want to use something else?

How many times do you plan to use it?

Can you do your own welding?

A good brass furnace capable of melting 50 or 100 pounds can be built with
first class materials for about $500. Would you want to invest that much? If
not, how much?