mark

Default O.T- home gas furnace inspection

Hello all, sorry for the OT post, but they are made out of sheetmetal
right ;-) And besides you guys know LOTS of usefull stuff like this,
and if were lucky it will naturally diverge into other interesting metal
stuff....

Anyway, I'm about to buy my first house, the inspection deadline is
coming up next week, I'm adept at the rest of everything, Ive just never
messed with a gas furnace before, are there any GOTCHA's that I should
be on the lookout for? I understand you want to look for cracks near
the bottom of the heat exchanger? This unit is different than what Ive
been sorta familiar with before in that, this is a bi-level house, the
furnace is upstairs, and the the unit has its cold air returns up at the
ceiling upstairs(!), the hot air goes out in in the traditional manner
in floor vents. Someone was trying to tell me that it was mounted
upside down, partly because the decals inside are upside down....,
wouldnt it either not work well, if at all, or it would have
melted/burned down very shortly afterwards correct? It starts fine, the
flame looks good, and everything appears to draft correctly so
personally I'm thinkin its fine. It looks very neatly, professionally
installed, but is in bad need of a cleaning at least.... any comments
guys?

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Mark

Craig

mark wrote in message ...
Hello all, sorry for the OT post, but they are made out of sheetmetal
right ;-) And besides you guys know LOTS of usefull stuff like this,
and if were lucky it will naturally diverge into other interesting metal
stuff....

Anyway, I'm about to buy my first house, the inspection deadline is
coming up next week, I'm adept at the rest of everything, Ive just never
messed with a gas furnace before, are there any GOTCHA's that I should
be on the lookout for?

Spend the 150$-300$ or so for a licensed inspector. He should have a
CO monitor and run it throughout the house while he is checking
everything else. He will give you and the owner a complete report
listing everything he finds wrong with the house. It makes a good
negotiating item and it helps protect you from any real
gotchas...Something that looks minor to you can be a huge red flag to
him to check indepth for hidden damage or problems.

Got a friend that is an inspector and he shakes his head at how much
stuff he finds, even in brand new construction.

Craig C.