Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default FS - Southbend vertical mill parts

Have a few assorted parts from a SB vertical mill head for sale:

1 HP 3PH 208-220/440 GE motor, original drum switch, motor step (V belt)
pulley, timing belt pulley, spindle drive pulley. photo he

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...e/P6090039.jpg

I also have some of the quill and spindle parts, they are not shown in
the picture. All parts are used and were from an operating machine that
was broken up to build a custom machine.

If you can use any of this, make me an offer on any or all of it. Not
trying to make a killing here. I need to make space and I really hate to
scrap this stuff if anyone can use it.

I can send closeups of anything you may be interested in.

-Al A.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-06-29, AL A. wrote:
Have a few assorted parts from a SB vertical mill head for sale:

1 HP 3PH 208-220/440 GE motor, original drum switch, motor step (V belt)
pulley, timing belt pulley, spindle drive pulley. photo he

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...e/P6090039.jpg

Either your newsreader or your news server has modified the URL
to "protect" your "privacy" (the "..." between "v4" and 'e', so I can't
look at the site to see what you have up -- and neither can anyone else.
:-)

And no -- you *can't* e-mail me the photos, because my mail
server blocks anything over 30k in size, so only the tinyest and most
useless of photos could make it through.

Maybe if you quote this article, and on a separate line tell what
should be between the '/'s, we could re-build your URL and actually see
what you are offering.

I also have some of the quill and spindle parts, they are not shown in
the picture. All parts are used and were from an operating machine that
was broken up to build a custom machine.

Ouch!

If you can use any of this, make me an offer on any or all of it. Not
trying to make a killing here. I need to make space and I really hate to
scrap this stuff if anyone can use it.

I can send closeups of anything you may be interested in.

Not to me, you can't.

Good luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

DoN. Nichols wrote:
On 2009-06-29, AL A. wrote:
[...]

Don,
Sorry about that, I had not noticed that my privacy was being
protected on my behalf. Thanks for pointing that out. I've not had that
happen before. Strange. Perhaps the latest "update" to Thunderbird has
added that "feature" or something. I'll be on the watch for that in the
future.

"Ouch!" indeed, I was not crazy about the idea either. But it was a
call made by the powers that be at the place I work. It was used as a
"base" for a specialized grinding machine. So all we really needed was
the knee and the x-axis on the table. The ram and all of the head stuff
was removed and discarded. I salvaged what I could. It worked out OK for
me, as I have a near identical mill, and so scored a few bit I was
missing and some spare parts. But I do hate breaking up working machines.

Sending you (or anyone else for that matter) pictures is likely now
moot, as someone has already claimed this stuff.

Thanks again for pointing that out, Don

Al A.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Joseph Gwinn wrote:

Hmm. I have just one question ... how did you get all those machine
tools into the hermit cave?

zyzzy

Well, two questions ... How did you get 3 phase power in that cave?

plugh

The archeologists are going to struggle to understand this dig site.

They'll be in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

Joe Gwinn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-07-01, John Husvar wrote:
In article ,
Joseph Gwinn wrote:

Hmm. I have just one question ... how did you get all those machine
tools into the hermit cave?

zyzzy

Well, two questions ... How did you get 3 phase power in that cave?

plugh

The archeologists are going to struggle to understand this dig site.

They'll be in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

And don't forget the plover's egg. :-)

Hmm ... I've recently downloaded and compiled a newer version of
that program. Perhaps I should devote some time to trying to play it to
completion.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-07-03, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

[ ... ]

And that ability leads to the newsreader or the browser
pre-fetching information from the site, which allows the site to record
a "visit" even if you did not intend one -- and to record your IP
address (less of a problem with dynamic IPs, but mine are static.)

Well, my IP address is dynamic for sure, but it doesn't change very
often, so I suppose people could track this. But there are lots of
tracking methods, and new ones every day, so if I really cared about
this I would use one of those zero knowledge proxy services.

Actually, can you arrange a dynamic IP range with short enough leases to
sow confusion where appropriate?

I think that it could be done -- but since I have web servers
and mail servers, they *need* static IPs. And I'm not sure how much
inefficiency it would introduce to cause leases to be terminated on five
minute intervals or less.

[ ... ]

And this is not counting what the news server does when it folds
long lines. (Both marked lines were folded as I received them, and that
makes it more difficult for a program to be *sure* what range should be
underlined. :-) For that matter, some folding will introduce a space at
the beginning of each extra line created by folding, which can confuse
the underline algorithm even more, and make what it encloses incorrect.

Folding and quoting is a problem regardless, so nothing is lost by
telling at least the first generation where the URL starts and stops.

Right -- but saying that it will be underlined is making
presumptions as to the nature and behavior of all the newsreaders
involved.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,

On 2009-07-03, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

[ ... ]

And that ability leads to the newsreader or the browser
pre-fetching information from the site, which allows the site to record
a "visit" even if you did not intend one -- and to record your IP
address (less of a problem with dynamic IPs, but mine are static.)

Well, my IP address is dynamic for sure, but it doesn't change very
often, so I suppose people could track this. But there are lots of
tracking methods, and new ones every day, so if I really cared about
this I would use one of those zero knowledge proxy services.

Actually, can you arrange a dynamic IP range with short enough leases to
sow confusion where appropriate?

I think that it could be done -- but since I have web servers
and mail servers, they *need* static IPs. And I'm not sure how much
inefficiency it would introduce to cause leases to be terminated on five
minute intervals or less.

I meant the dynamic addresses only for browsing, not the other things.
One can have both static and dynamic addresses in the same system
without difficulty.

Five minutes is probably shorter than necessary, and may interfere with
browsing. Once every few hours or even once a day would pretty well
muddy things up for would-be trackers.

[ ... ]

And this is not counting what the news server does when it folds
long lines. (Both marked lines were folded as I received them, and that
makes it more difficult for a program to be *sure* what range should be
underlined. :-) For that matter, some folding will introduce a space at
the beginning of each extra line created by folding, which can confuse
the underline algorithm even more, and make what it encloses incorrect.

Folding and quoting is a problem regardless, so nothing is lost by
telling at least the first generation where the URL starts and stops.

Right -- but saying that it will be underlined is making
presumptions as to the nature and behavior of all the newsreaders
involved.

True it isn't perfect, but it is pretty reliable nonetheless, at least
in the original posting.

Joe Gwinn