Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Disc fusion How has it affected you? ON TOPIC

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 10:34:11 -0700, "Richard W."
wrote:

I need so information from anyone who has had a disc fused in their neck. I
am facing that right now and I don't know what to expect after it's done. I
would like to know how the surgery has affected your ability to work in a
machine shop?

Richard W.

First, if you want to go to a chiropractor, get a go-ahead from a
real doctor. That will include an MRI.

I had some paralysis in my left arm and had experienced a constant
headache for 6 months.

MRI showed a broken vertebra and bone spurs inside the spinal column
crowding the spinal cord. Also, some type of growth, originally
thought to be a cyst. So, some yanking and cranking by a chiropractor
could have resulted in paralysis.

My little one hour procedure by a neuro surgeon ended up being a 7
hour marathon with extra surgeons being called in.

Growth turned out to be a tumor pressing on the carotid artery.
Removed three discs and reamed out the spinal canal, installed a
titanium plate with screws and ground up cadaver bone. Wore a magnetic
bone growth stimulator collar 4 hours a day for 6 months.

Pros: full use of my arm, no more headaches.

Cons: restricted movement side to side (45 degrees total, some trouble
driving like checking traffic at intersections), almost no vertical
motion (sitting in a recliner, I'm looking at the ceiling. trying to
force it down results in cutting off my air)

Probably the worst is the lack of cushioning in my neck. Riding in a
golf car (or motorcycle) is near impossible. You do not want to bump
your head.

With all that, I would do it again. It is great to be free of the pain
and a relief to know that unknown ax is no longer hanging over me.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

It started out as a tight muscle between my shoulder blades, but more to the
left side. Since I have seen chiropractors for about 30 years. That was
where I went first. One adjustment and I was in more pain when I left than
when I came in. 2 more visit's for therapy and massage. Felt good for about
3 hours and then the pain was back worse than before. That was when I went
to my doctor. He said it was out of his area. He sent me to a sports injury
doctor. He ordered x-ray and didn't see anything. Then ordered an MRI. Once
he had seen the MRI, he said I was out of his specialty and sent me to a
brain and spine doctor. That's where I am at now. The replacement disc that
I wanted would have left me with as good or better neck movement and I could
have returned to work in a week or two. My insurance called the disc
replacement "experimental" and denied the procedure. Even though it's been
done successfully for 16 Years. They will pay for fusing which would cause
the loss of movement. How much I don't know, but I am worried that I won't
be able to do my job.

Richard W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 16:17:44 -0700, "Richard W."
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

In practical terms here are my limitations: I can't see to put a pen
in my shirt pocket and I don't change overhead light bulbs. Most
tipping of my head is at the waist.

Other improvements: I'm a half inch taller and lost my double chin.