Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] aasberry@aol.com is offline

Default Disc fusion How has it affected you? ON TOPIC

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 10:34:11 -0700, "Richard W."
wrote:

I need so information from anyone who has had a disc fused in their neck. I
am facing that right now and I don't know what to expect after it's done. I
would like to know how the surgery has affected your ability to work in a
machine shop?

Richard W.

First, if you want to go to a chiropractor, get a go-ahead from a
real doctor. That will include an MRI.

I had some paralysis in my left arm and had experienced a constant
headache for 6 months.

MRI showed a broken vertebra and bone spurs inside the spinal column
crowding the spinal cord. Also, some type of growth, originally
thought to be a cyst. So, some yanking and cranking by a chiropractor
could have resulted in paralysis.

My little one hour procedure by a neuro surgeon ended up being a 7
hour marathon with extra surgeons being called in.

Growth turned out to be a tumor pressing on the carotid artery.
Removed three discs and reamed out the spinal canal, installed a
titanium plate with screws and ground up cadaver bone. Wore a magnetic
bone growth stimulator collar 4 hours a day for 6 months.

Pros: full use of my arm, no more headaches.

Cons: restricted movement side to side (45 degrees total, some trouble
driving like checking traffic at intersections), almost no vertical
motion (sitting in a recliner, I'm looking at the ceiling. trying to
force it down results in cutting off my air)

Probably the worst is the lack of cushioning in my neck. Riding in a
golf car (or motorcycle) is near impossible. You do not want to bump
your head.

With all that, I would do it again. It is great to be free of the pain
and a relief to know that unknown ax is no longer hanging over me.