Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - Flash tube device category?

Guys,

What category of device is a Xenon triggered flash tube?

I've guessed to a friend that it's a triggerable gas Thyrector, but my
memory fails on this item, and none of the lookups have given any joy.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Guys,

What category of device is a Xenon triggered flash tube?

I've guessed to a friend that it's a triggerable gas Thyrector, but my
memory fails on this item, and none of the lookups have given any joy.

LLoyd

Flash tube, flash lamp?

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 21, 6:03*pm, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Guys,

What category of device is a Xenon triggered flash tube?

I've guessed to a friend that it's a triggerable gas Thyrector, but my
memory fails on this item, and none of the lookups have given any joy.

LLoyd

I think a thyrector (anything with rect in it) is for rectifying
current (acting like a diode).

A flash tube is more like a krytron switch, as used in nuclear weapons
triggers and coin shrinkers.

Or maybe like a thyratron.

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

A coil much like on a car - low voltage with a very high voltage
transformer/coil is used to generate the high voltage. A control gate
to the trigger on the tube causes the gas to break down and flash.

Martin

Wes wrote:
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Guys,

What category of device is a Xenon triggered flash tube?

I've guessed to a friend that it's a triggerable gas Thyrector, but my
memory fails on this item, and none of the lookups have given any joy.

LLoyd

Flash tube, flash lamp?

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 21, 11:24*pm, Wes wrote:
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Guys,

What category of device is a Xenon triggered flash tube?

I've guessed to a friend that it's a triggerable gas Thyrector, but my
memory fails on this item, and none of the lookups have given any joy.

LLoyd

Flash tube, flash lamp?

Wes

The Xenon ones are for photography or strobe lights. Similar tubes
filled with other gases are thyrectors.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Guys,

What category of device is a Xenon triggered flash tube?

I've guessed to a friend that it's a triggerable gas Thyrector, but my
memory fails on this item, and none of the lookups have given any joy.

LLoyd

Flash tube, flash lamp?

Wes

The GE handbook I have on this subject simply describes this device as
an "electronic flash tube".

For low voltage operation, 300 VDC and up to the break-over voltage,
the tube is externally triggered with an ionizing voltage; but once
the break-over voltage is reached on the main electrodes the internal
gas will conduct and the tube light up, discharging the energy storage
capacitor.

Nifty devices... I used a Radio Shack tube to build an engine timing
light 30-odd years ago.

Wolfgang
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Martin H. Eastburn" fired this volley in
:

A coil much like on a car - low voltage with a very high voltage
transformer/coil is used to generate the high voltage. A control gate
to the trigger on the tube causes the gas to break down and flash.

I _understand_ how to use them. I can't remember the electronic
category of device.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pilgrim wrote:

Thyratrons were gas filled tubes used for control of AC current. They
were the forerunner of SCR's.

Chuck P.

Not all Thyratrons had anything to do with AC. The CPS6 radar used
a bank of (some number)C22 Hydrogen Thyratrons to pulse the
Magnatrons and that was definitely a DC operation. As I remember it
(a very long time ago) there was a bank of 4 in a series parallel
configuration.
( Boy 1953 was a long time ago ) :-)
...lew...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 21, 3:03*pm, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

What category of device is a Xenon triggered flash tube?

It's a gas-filled tube. Just like a neon lamp, or fluorescent tube,
but not
so exotic as the triggered-spark-gap thyratrons and such.
The trigger electrode is just a capacitive coupled wire; the steel
panel adjacent to a fluorescent lamp serves the same function.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 22 May 2009 13:05:46 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Guys... I underSTAND how they work, how to use them, how to design
strobes around them... I just can't remember the generic NAME of that
TYPE of device (a triggered gas avalanche discharge tube conducting
DC).

Did you see/review the Wiki page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenon_flash_lamp

If not maybe something there will lead you in the right
direction...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

I still believe it's a "gas thyrector", but can't seem to prove that
on-line.

Not xenon, but are you looking for "Ignitron"?

Kevin Gallimore

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 22, 3:23*pm, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Fri, 22 May 2009 13:05:46 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"

lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Guys... I underSTAND how they work, how to use them, how to design
strobes around them... I just can't remember the generic NAME of that
TYPE of device (a triggered gas avalanche discharge tube conducting
DC).

Did you see/review the Wiki page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenon_flash_lamp

If not maybe something there will lead you in the right
direction...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids *MI/Zone 5b
Remove no.spam for email

More generic wiki article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...ischarge_lamps

Other related sites:
http://www.epanorama.net/links/light...agelightdesign
http://members.misty.com/don/donflash.html
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_3/chpt_7/2.html
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 22, 4:48*pm, wrote:
On May 22, 3:23*pm, Leon Fisk wrote:

On Fri, 22 May 2009 13:05:46 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"

lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Guys... I underSTAND how they work, how to use them, how to design
strobes around them... I just can't remember the generic NAME of that
TYPE of device (a triggered gas avalanche discharge tube conducting
DC).

Did you see/review the Wiki page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenon_flash_lamp

If not maybe something there will lead you in the right
direction...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids *MI/Zone 5b
Remove no.spam for email

More generic wiki article:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...ischarge_lamps

Other related sites:http://www.epanorama.net/links/light.../chpt_7/2.html

Call them Geissler tubes.

At least it is historically correct, will raise a few eye brows,
astonish your friends, and confuse your enemies.

Wolfgang